Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-20-2010, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer_Z View Post
Alan, Alan, Alan, Here you go again spouting off on something you know nothing about.
You say that the pole saw for the Kombi is too short, OK, let's bump up the HT100 that Brad listed to the HT131 and subtract the attachment. How many times during the season is a DEDICATED almost $700.00 pole saw going to be used? and who is going to want to carry it around if they can just change out an attachment?
Brad is 100% correct that the Kombi saves money, I've said countless times I don't know what I would do without my KM130 and attachments. Unless you run a business you have no idea of what kind of savings a Kombi could result in vs buying dedicated machines.
Did you not read my post, if you only need an 8' to 9' pole, the manual pole saw is the way to go because it is very easy to cut. It is the tall one that is the kicker. I did a lot of research on this pole saw thing, and I end up buying an electric one that is 10' and only $90 because it is not worthy to buy a long one for a few times a year, and not even worthy to get the attachment type because it is short. The manual pole saw is a lot quicker than people think. I cut up to 4" branches. It is just not working out if you have to be on the stepper and you need the leverage to saw the branch.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have Echo equipment. The PAS 260 (2) & a 265 Powerheads and 3 trimmer attachments and eadging attachment. I've been running the 260s for the last 8 years and wouldn't use anything else. I expanded, running a 3 man crew sometimes and a solo and 2 man crew at other times and added the 265. The old 260s took a lot of abuse doing a cemetary for 3 years. They still run as strong as ever. Suggest you check the PAS units out at an Echo dealer (not HD because they won't have them).
Old 12-21-2010, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
I end up buying an electric one that is 10' and only $90
Ahhh... The Remington. I have one up in the attic.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Ahhh... The Remington. I have one up in the attic.
I think it's a McGlough or something. I just got it on sale. I was really labor for a long and finally decided not to spend much money on something I use so little.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I habe the KM130 and several attachments and I love it...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2010, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a big fan of the stand alone units. only for the simple fact, if you have all these combi units, only one is working at any given time. IE...while you are trimming...no one can edge, or trim shrubs or use the gas powered pole pruner. Plus the power unit is always being used. Think about all the hours you use each separate tool, all of those engine hours are now being transferred to ONE engine...

Now if you plan on staying small/solo and never having employee's its fine...
Old 12-21-2010, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
Now if you plan on staying small/solo and never having employee's its fine...
^^Untrue^^ It can be useful as an addition to stand alone units.

If you have a dedicated mowing crew that may need a hedge trimmer, pole saw or edger (some areas use the string trimmers for that) on occasion. Also it serves as a backup string trimmer. A combi unit is an excellent addition to a mowing only crew that does not use those extra pieces of equipment regularly.

If you use the equipment as a main tool, then no, a combi unit would not be effective.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm curious to know what Frostytop is getting from this information, and any other research he's done and which way he's leaning.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

ideal mow crew set up IMO...mower of choice (52" in my case) back pack blower, string trimmer and stick edger...good solid residential crew 3 man set up...

Hand pruners, hand saw , and a telescoping pole saw(non gas powered) I can spend 150 bucks on nice hand tools to do the same stuff for the "occasional" work... that a mow only crew might encounter.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Trimmer and edger need to be dedicated units. If you have a need for a hedge trimmer or the other attachments on an occaisional basis then the combo units might be worth it. Like mslawn said, it could also be used as a backup trimmer as needed.
But on the other hand, if you are just a mow and blow operation and use these attachments once or twice a year, it may not be worth it. You could get away with hand tools for alot less money. Marcsmith and mslawn have differing views, but both have valid points.