Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2010, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

lawn king, off topic I know, but what is that in your sig picture...looks similar to a gravely convertible, but I know its not..
Old 12-21-2010, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Frosty Top,
Alot of people use string trimmers for edging. Without knowing your usage requirements for each piece. It is hard to say. I would be inclined to buy stand alone units if you use an edger on every lawn and a stand alone weedeater(*see below). If not, if you edge with a string trimmer, it would only be slightly more to buy a dedicated string trimmer and also a split boom with a string trimmer and edger attachment. You can always add other attachments later.

*If you buy stand alone units, then buy the same brand and make sure the string trimmer head and edger head will interchange on each unit. This could get you out of a jam if one was to break down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
ideal mow crew set up IMO...mower of choice (52" in my case) back pack blower, string trimmer and stick edger...good solid residential crew 3 man set up...
I respect your opinion.
However, the flaw i see in it is nothing as a backup for the handhelds. I have been there and done that. I am a firm believer in backup units, even if they are old, just keep them maintained and ready for the inevitable.
I know what happens from day to day and that brand new commercial string trimmer or edger, even though it has a nice shiney 2 year warranty it may go down 2 days after you buy it. Then you have three guys twidlin their thumbs with the office/shop 20 miles across town with alot of traffic in between.

Last edited by mslawn; 12-21-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can give you a little review of the 110 Stihl Combi. I bought the powerhead, straight trimmer shaft, and the curved head edger. I believe I paid around $500 for all of it. The powerhead is very powerful, a little more vibration than what I like but very reliable and powerful. The negative is that I have had about five occasions where I go to change attatchments, and the shaft of either the powerhead or the attatchment slides all the way out. It usually pops right back in, but a couple of times I just put it in the back of the truck and grabbed my backup to keep from having to pull the tools out. If you go the combi route, I would buy a couple of extra retainer pieces for the attatchments, which is the gray slide in piece that keeps the shaft inside the housing. They tend to wear fairly quickly and will need to be replaced. They are very cheap to purchase, so really not a big deal. Overall, it is a very good system, but anytime you have extra parts you'll have some more wear. I really just couldn't afford a dedicated unit of Stihl edger and trimmer at the time, so I went the combi route. I believe that the 90 model powerhead would be plenty powerful for about any job. The 110 is so powerful that I really don't see why anyone one need the 130 series. I think you would be pleased with the Combi system, but if you can afford to get both dedicated units, that's what I would do. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If running tiller head the 130 is the best...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2010, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
lawn king, off topic I know, but what is that in your sig picture...looks similar to a gravely convertible, but I know its not..
It is a DR brushmower with a snowplow attachment. It has a 17HP Kaw engine so it moves snow around pretty easily. I was tired of fooling around with the old plow I had for my Polaris. Also the DR does not take up nearly the space in my garage as the Sportsman. The Polaris now goes in the shed with all of my lawn equipment for the winter.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslawn View Post
*If you buy stand alone units, then buy the same brand and make sure the string trimmer head and edger head will interchange on each unit. This could get you out of a jam if one was to break down.

I respect your opinion.
However, the flaw i see in it is nothing as a backup for the handhelds. I have been there and done that. I am a firm believer in backup units, even if they are old, just keep them maintained and ready for the inevitable.
I know what happens from day to day and that brand new commercial string trimmer or edger, even though it has a nice shiney 2 year warranty it may go down 2 days after you buy it. Then you have three guys twidlin their thumbs with the office/shop 20 miles across town with alot of traffic in between.
MS when one is just starting out... you may not have the capital to buy back up equipment. Once a piece of equipment gets retired, which I did before it was totally useless, usually about every 3 years, it was maintained as a backup unit..it just might not have been on the truck...The one issue I have with the kombi style units is if the power head goes down, and its your only piece of two stroke equipment. You are done. No trimming, no edging, no shrubs. I'm not knocking you views as eveyone runs their business different...In florida I had to edge every week we cut, and no reason not to have a dedicated edger... and a dedicated trimmer...Up her ein Dc with the miles of sidewalk we have on campus. I have the walk behind edgers and they get used about 3-4x per year.. would a combi unit wkr for me up here. yes. but sometimes I don't think my guys can chew gum and walk a straight line and I know there would be days in which they'd come to my office "well he have the attachments...but we can't find the motor..."

Just my thoughts and opinions...
Old 12-21-2010, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
Trimmer and edger need to be dedicated units. If you have a need for a hedge trimmer or the other attachments on an occaisional basis then the combo units might be worth it. Like mslawn said, it could also be used as a backup trimmer as needed.
But on the other hand, if you are just a mow and blow operation and use these attachments once or twice a year, it may not be worth it. You could get away with hand tools for alot less money. Marcsmith and mslawn have differing views, but both have valid points.
Actually that was almost the mentality when I bought my Shindaiwa muli tool unit. I need a pole hedge trimmer, my Honda trimmer was giving me smack right at the time. I need a backup trimmer also. Right at the time, Shindaiwa had a promotion of buying the M242 with any attachment and give a string trimmer attachment free. I took it.

I do believe with good care, multi tool is going to last as long as the dedicated unit. The concern is switching attachment right in the middle of the job. You really have to be careful not to get dirt into the joint. YOu are going to have to stop, remove the cap on the one to be put on, carefully sat it down so the open end don't touch the ground, take the existing attachment off, put on the cap before you can put it on the ground and put the next attachment. This all slow you down to pay careful attention not to get dirt onto it. Shindaiwa is not the easiest to put the new attachment on. The threaded rod don't go in that easy, sometimes you have to keep trying and trying to get it allign right.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i think both ways have there pro's and con's.

having dedicated pieces allows you to keep one working should the other one break down. if your trimmer goes down you still have your edger. with a kombi until, that head goes down and your out a trimmer and edger.

i personally have a dedicated trimmer and use the kombi as my dedicated edger. i also have the trimmer attachment and the pruner attachment for the kombi. so i have a backup trimmer if the dedicated one goes down and the kombi also functions as my shrub pruners.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If your trimmer goes down you can't trim so you can't finish the job...period. Having seperate equipment doesn't change this...you sure can trim with an edger!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2010, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
If your trimmer goes down you can't trim so you can't finish the job...period. Having seperate equipment doesn't change this...you sure can trim with an edger!
Posted via Mobile Device
this is true but i bet clients would rather have there lawn mowed and skipped on the trimming one week than not done at all because your trimmer went down.

a trimmer going down isn't the end of the world.