Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-21-2010, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
this is true but i bet clients would rather have there lawn mowed and skipped on the trimming one week than not done at all because your trimmer went down.

a trimmer going down isn't the end of the world.
Not around here...bermuda has to be trimmed and edged weekly. A broken trimmer means a trip back the next day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2010, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
this is true but i bet clients would rather have there lawn mowed and skipped on the trimming one week than not done at all because your trimmer went down.

a trimmer going down isn't the end of the world.
A trimmer going down is not an excuse, you are running a business that should have the necessary equipment to do the job and that entails having backup equipment.

A trimmer is the job, it completes the job. A nicely trimmed yard is what the customer is paying for. I would expect to have complaints rolling in for skipping the trimming.

IMO, If you can't afford any backup equipment, even if it is something cheap from Lowes or Home depot, you would be better off flipping burgers.

Not trimming reminds me of the Bozos that discharge in the street. They leave the house looking nice with about 6" of grass piled up in the curb and on the street in front of the house. Tacky.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, and for the record...I have a backup powerhead for my Kombi, so I have 2 powerheads so that means a backup for every single accessory I have.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2010, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslawn View Post
A trimmer going down is not an excuse, you are running a business that should have the necessary equipment to do the job and that entails having backup equipment.

A trimmer is the job, it completes the job. A nicely trimmed yard is what the customer is paying for. I would expect to have complaints rolling in for skipping the trimming.

IMO, If you can't afford any backup equipment, even if it is something cheap from Lowes or Home depot, you would be better off flipping burgers.

Not trimming reminds me of the Bozos that discharge in the street. They leave the house looking nice with about 6" of grass piled up in the curb and on the street in front of the house. Tacky.
to each his own i guess........

i have backup equipment. so if something goes down i'm covered.

the client is paying for more than just a nicely trimmed yard. i guess it must vary in the different parts of the country but in my neck of the woods clients would understand if you had to skip the trimming one week because your trimmer was down.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You charge them full price if you skip trimming?

If you get an oil change and they only put 1/2 the oil will you:

A) go back to that oil change place
B) pay full price...if at all
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-21-2010, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had 4 trimmers, a edger and hedge trimmers. Got rid of the edger and two trimmers. Bought a 110 Kombi with the tiller, straight edger, trimmer, extension, and the articulating hedge trimmer. Now I have a spare trimmer, a edger and hedge trimmer and it takes up less space on trailer. Also the power heads on all my Stihl equipment are the same. And they change out real easy. It made since to me.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSide Cutter View Post
I had 4 trimmers, a edger and hedge trimmers. Got rid of the edger and two trimmers. Bought a 110 Kombi with the tiller, straight edger, trimmer, extension, and the articulating hedge trimmer. Now I have a spare trimmer, a edger and hedge trimmer and it takes up less space on trailer. Also the power heads on all my Stihl equipment are the same. And they change out real easy. It made since to me.
I have all mine in a locking toolbox bolted to a frame I welded at the front of my trailer...it must look like I don't own any trimmers or edgers when people see me out and about.

I like that at the end of the day I can simply lock the box and park trailer and not have to bring hand tools inside out of the weather...for all the time supposedly saved by having dedicated tools opposed to having to swap attachments (which is none...I don't even turn mine off to switch), I make up in the time it takes me to put my handhelds away at night or load in the morning (time spent loading and unloading=zero)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2010, 06:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

yes I woudl take a trip aback to finish trimming the next day if I needed.. But if you think about all the breakdowns and problems you've had with a trimmer or an edger. 100% of the time its engine related...I can't remember the last time I had a broken gear box on a trimmer or an edger...

Plus if you trimmer goes down. and you need you need to come back the following day a simple phone call to the client "hey Mrs. X...my trimmer broke and I did not finish trimming, I will finish first thing tomorrow." would keep you in good graces. Communication is key...
Old 12-22-2010, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
You charge them full price if you skip trimming?

If you get an oil change and they only put 1/2 the oil will you:

A) go back to that oil change place
B) pay full price...if at all
Posted via Mobile Device
uh yes i charge the full price if i skip trimming. because the money charged from week of skipped trimming will be applied to the price of next week for the added time of trimming from skipping the week prior.

it's one of those, it evens out things.

i think the oil change example is not a good one. with an oil change your talking about damaging the engine with only half the amount of oil in.

your not going to damage a property by skipping trimming one week because your trimmer was down.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
uh yes i charge the full price if i skip trimming. because the money charged from week of skipped trimming will be applied to the price of next week for the added time of trimming from skipping the week prior.

it's one of those, it evens out things.

i think the oil change example is not a good one. with an oil change your talking about damaging the engine with only half the amount of oil in.

your not going to damage a property by skipping trimming one week because your trimmer was down.
You are probably right, but around here if you skip edging or trimming you will have a mess the next week.
Posted via Mobile Device