Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2010, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Maintenance truck question

Currently i have a 1998 Ford f250 lightduty truck. It is a great truck but the 4x4 has been a problem and had some heater core problems and just am looking into upgrading. I'm looking into possibly buying a 07-08 Ford F250-350 or Chevy 2500hd single cab 4x4. I know the topic of gas verse has been worn out time after time but what would be better? Is diesel truck even realistic now with the price of diesel 40 cents more than gas to only get maybe 5mpg more? Also if i did go gas route Chevy 6.0 vs Triton 5.4 3v both good trucks but will get between 12-14 mpg. Which would you choose?
8ft trailer single axle
48in Exmark walk-behind
48in Ferris walk-behind
(New) echo pb-265l blower
Shindaiwa weedeaters
Old 12-20-2010, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Id choose ford any day of the week. Chevy has there probloms and so does ford but look around youll see more fords with very highmiles than chevy. chevys always have replace engines. but it comes down to what you like not what we like.
cub cadet lawn mower 21 inch
Abunch of shovels, racks excetra.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

12-14MPG? Maybe on the highway. Around town expect more like 9-11MPG.....
Old 12-20-2010, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

The mpg doesn't bother me right now i get 10 towing and 12-13 mixed driving. The only problem i have is the 5.4l now 2v doesn't seem to have enough get up and go power for me. Can you feel the differnece in the 3v? Both the 5.4 triton and 6.0 vortec have both proven good engines. Anyone with either one of these trucks please give me you opinion on them. I'm also looking into around 08 model in either brand
8ft trailer single axle
48in Exmark walk-behind
48in Ferris walk-behind
Shindaiwa weedeaters
Old 12-20-2010, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The vortec 6.0 is a much better engine, though mine gets 9 or 10 mpg in town without a trailer, and goes downhill from there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2010, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

If you would go the gas route I would say go with the HD, in my opinion better motor. The people I know who have driven both 5.4 and 6.0 like the 6.0 better, more power, better at towing (less sluggish), better mpg, etc. And KS you only get 9 or 10 in town without a trailer? I get about 10 towing and 14 in town w/o a trailer.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

what was the heaviest load you've hauled with your trucks thought i wont haul heavy weight all the time i would like the ability to if needed. How did it pull with load
8ft trailer single axle
48in Exmark walk-behind
48in Ferris walk-behind
Shindaiwa weedeaters
Old 12-20-2010, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslawn View Post
what was the heaviest load you've hauled with your trucks thought i wont haul heavy weight all the time i would like the ability to if needed. How did it pull with load
I Would say the heaviest I towed was maybe 10k with my 09 but on a day to day basis my 05 pulls a 16ft trailer with 2 ztr's and a heavy duty front rack and it pulls it like nothing, even when the dump is loaded with wet grass it still pulls like a champ.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am a ford man myself and would rather buy a diesel over gas. Reason being, it will hold up a lot better towing and better when running down the interstates. That is where you will see the better mileage. I currently own an F150 with the 5.4 3V and that motor is a real pain in the butt to work on. The major issue with them is the cam phasers on the earlier 5.4's and the spark plugs will make it seem like the trans is missing. When you change them look at spending over a grand at a shop or do it yourself and look at a days worth of work lost. I don't know much about the GM's but the diesel exhaust brake is really cool and Fords do not have that. Their version is using the turbo to slow itself down. If I were you and had the money to decide all over again, I'd go with a diesel knowing that I could hook anything up to it and tow it without issues. As far as brand names go, they all have their own problems. It basically comes down to what looks best to you. If you do go the Ford route, stay away from the 6.0L Powerstroke. Go older or newer. And for the Chevy's I did remember reading somewhere that the injectors can fail on you while going down the road and cause the truck to just die. Checkout some of the forums about which trucks to get. Read up on some of the issues each has and go from there.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

The only problem with the new diesels are the mileage is close to a gas, though the engine is said to last longer the maintenance the repairs are all more with a diesel. Also with a diesel it being 30 cents more then gas and only getting 5-10% better fuel economy i just don't think its reasonable unless i will be hauling a heavy load. Also it is a lot cheaper to replace a full gas engine then diesel and with mechanical repairs.
8ft trailer single axle
48in Exmark walk-behind
48in Ferris walk-behind
Shindaiwa weedeaters