Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-06-2010, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro 20338 Transmission vs. Lawn Boy 10641 Transmission

As much as it pains me, I need to replace my old Toro 20465 as it needs BBC and carb work. I'm one of the few I guess that doesn't like the Personal Pace feature on the new mowers, but I do like squeezing the handle for a variable speed like on the 20465.

The only Toro that currently fits my budget and needs is the 20338, but I was wondering if the variable speed transmisson on the 20338 is the same transmission that's in the Lawn Boy model 10641? The part number for the Toro is 119-7007 while the Lawn Boy part number is 112-8831.....they visually look the same in the parts catalog.

Thanks ahead of time for the info.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Sponsor

A23 - The two transmissions are very similar and have the same functionally.

-The Toro Company
Old 12-17-2010, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Member

First post. Yippie!!!!!!!

I just bought a Lawn Boy 10641 and really like it. One problem though is that when the drive isn't engaged, or if the engine is turned off, the wheels will barely spin. I have to just about pick up the back end when I'm scooting the mower in and out of the garage, or just to move it across the drive way. Pushing it to get under a bush when it's like this just doesn't feel right. Is this normal for this transmission?
Old 12-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Sponsor

Hi Brentster,

This problem does not sound normal and you should bring it back to the dealer.

Thank you,

The Toro Company
Old 12-20-2010, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toro Company View Post
Hi Brentster,

This problem does not sound normal and you should bring it back to the dealer.

Thank you,

The Toro Company
I was under the impression that the Lawnboy units were now a Home Depot exclusive and not available from dealers anymore?
Old 12-21-2010, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
I was under the impression that the Lawnboy units were now a Home Depot exclusive and not available from dealers anymore?
They are. Next to the $500 Hondas and $375 Toros, they have the $250 Lawn Boys. It's a fabulous machine except for the back wheels don't spin unless the engine is on and you have the drive lever engaged.

The stupid thing is I took back the first unit and got a 2nd one yesterday. This one is even worse than the first. It practically left skid marks across the parking lot as I was wheeling it out from the store.

Now I have to take back the 2nd one!!!!!!

Were all the others that they sold like this or did I just happen to get the only bad two?
Old 12-21-2010, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentster View Post
They are. Next to the $500 Hondas and $375 Toros, they have the $250 Lawn Boys. It's a fabulous machine except for the back wheels don't spin unless the engine is on and you have the drive lever engaged.

The stupid thing is I took back the first unit and got a 2nd one yesterday. This one is even worse than the first. It practically left skid marks across the parking lot as I was wheeling it out from the store.

Now I have to take back the 2nd one!!!!!!

Were all the others that they sold like this or did I just happen to get the only bad two?
Well, my point was, the Toro rep said "you should bring it back to the dealer." Can't bring it back to a dealer that you didn't get it from in the first place.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
Well, my point was, the Toro rep said "you should bring it back to the dealer." Can't bring it back to a dealer that you didn't get it from in the first place.
I suppose they could have said "retailer", but I sure do appreciate them responding.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Sponsor

Hello Brentster,

Sorry for the confusion. Sometimes internal and external terms get confusing. Home Depot is our dealer for Lawn-Boy, but in the future we will use the term "retailer".

We're also sorry for the difficulty you have been having. Your messages have been forwarded on to both consumer service and the product manager in charge of Lawn-Boy. When more information is available it will be posted.

The Toro Company
Old 12-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Sponsor

Hi Brenster,

One thing consumer services suggested is that it sounds like something is bent. If the box is squeezed side to side and the spring arms are bent this can occur.

The Toro Company