Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2011, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ric, I know nothing about these machines but it looks like a perfect piece of equipment for large acreage Fire Ant jobs you have talked about before. I'd try to rig a hopper to it for broadcasting baits but from what I saw on the link in your first post, that is what I would try to do with it. Of course finding folks with 2 acre and up estates looking for Fire Ant Control in your area may be a problem. With that thing, you should be able to offer it at a very reasonable price because of time savings.You might try a simple but very noticeable ad in your local newspaper classifieds in Sunday's paper and see who bites.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Ric, I know nothing about these machines but it looks like a perfect piece of equipment for large acreage Fire Ant jobs you have talked about before. I'd try to rig a hopper to it for broadcasting baits but from what I saw on the link in your first post, that is what I would try to do with it. Of course finding folks with 2 acre and up estates looking for Fire Ant Control in your area may be a problem. With that thing, you should be able to offer it at a very reasonable price because of time savings.You might try a simple but very noticeable ad in your local newspaper classifieds in Sunday's paper and see who bites.
Ted

You are spot on with my original plan when I first saw this hunk of Junk. I am thinking Horse Pastures, HOA Common Ground, Industrial Complexes, Storage Yards, and Condo complex. Basical any place I can get this equipment. I have my Chemical cost for Fire Ant Control down to about Nothing. This equipment should bring Labor down to little or nothing. a Boom-less nozzle sprayer off the back and a hand gun from the Drivers seat for nailing the Shrubs and a barrier treatment without getting off my lazy butt. That alone should more than pay for any money I put in this equipment. I can see low balling and still making money.

But I am still looking for other application or markets for this equipment.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

OK, here's another one possibly. Do they make a de-icing solution safe for crops/vegetation people might not want frozen on some of these cold mornings you have been having down there? If so, would there be a market for it? Surely there are people with small citrus trees and tropical plants in there landscape that might be interested.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
OK, here's another one possibly. Do they make a de-icing solution safe for crops/vegetation people might not want frozen on some of these cold mornings you have been having down there? If so, would there be a market for it? Surely there are people with small citrus trees and tropical plants in there landscape that might be interested.
Ted

I live in SOUTH Florida, A 12 ft Snow Plow just wouldn't see any use here.

However I have posted on several occasions about Chemical Mowing. This might be just the machine for chemically mowing large areas. Last year I mechanically mowed my own yard 8 times and my turf never was over 6 inches tall. However I used the Ric-A-Green which is set up to give little or NO over spray. To set up the toro 1100 work saver to have no over spray would mean having booms very close to the ground and shielded. I would also have to get the foam marker working.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 01-03-2011, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ric, nice idea. I see this sprayer as ideal for weed control and chemical mowing along the right-of-way on roads and highways. Push the brush and vines back. Dodge around the speed limit signs--supplement tight spots with a hand gun. Steep banks do with hand gun. Add fert during rainy weather for areas that need to be thicker. Contract seed in areas that have bare soil or erosion risk. Growth ******ant as needed. Wildflower seed if you can get a few contracts. Clover or legume seed to build more nutrition in the soil. Crown vetch or something suitable to Florida conditions for steep areas that need it. (For erosion control). Circles of Roundup or ******ant around signs and guard rails to save the county money on string tirmming. Use the county sewage residue for fert.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Ric, nice idea. I see this sprayer as ideal for weed control and chemical mowing along the right-of-way on roads and highways. Push the brush and vines back. Dodge around the speed limit signs--supplement tight spots with a hand gun. Steep banks do with hand gun. Add fert during rainy weather for areas that need to be thicker. Contract seed in areas that have bare soil or erosion risk. Growth ******ant as needed. Wildflower seed if you can get a few contracts. Clover or legume seed to build more nutrition in the soil. Crown vetch or something suitable to Florida conditions for steep areas that need it. (For erosion control). Circles of Roundup or ******ant around signs and guard rails to save the county money on string tirmming. Use the county sewage residue for fert.
Riggle

Someone already beat me to the County Sewage Residue. JJ Baker Trucking has had that contract since the beginning of time. He gets paid by the county to haul it away and he get paid by sod farms to deliver and spread it. His 18 wheels have Stainless Steel tanks with Reverse Vacuum and high pressure pumps. That is one case were Deep Sh1t pays.

I like your Idea about Road and Right Away. In fact I been there and done that with no luck. Here in Florida Government contracts go for peanuts. Many years ago I got all Excited about a Country Mowing contract that was $ 100 K a year. Once I did the math i wasn't so excited. It paid $ 9.00 an acre including the trash pick up before mowing. Of course Weed Eating etc was also part of the price. You might of remembered Fl-landscape and myself posting about that same contact this last Spring. The county put it out for bid 3 times before a sucker bid it low enough. I have been to several Chemical Mowing Seminars put on by the U of F and the County Extension service. These seminars targeted the County powers to be. Unfortunately the Government wage slaves won't rock the boat by changing anything. I have been to both the County and City maintenance directors with a Chemical mowing proposal. BTW Other have also tried to sell the Chemical mowing Idea to the county.

I believe my Chemical mowing market is the same as my Fire Ant market I listed in my post # 12. However I also believe Snowbird homes are a very viable chemical mowing market. Warm season turf can be Chemically mowed very successful with the right set up. The major problem is selling the Idea. Realize even showing the County over a $ 100 K saving a year, No one could sell them on chemical mowing even with the U of F pushing the issue.

BTW any one interested in Chemical Mowing in Florida might want to take it slow. It takes some doing and a few dead lawn before getting right. If anyone gets a contract I am available to help you get set up, Of Course for a price.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ric,

Do any of the golf courses down there contract out? Some around here have went to this to save money. Don't know how the spraying license is structured in Florida, residential, commercial compared to course management but just an idea.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Brain Storming

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayboy View Post
Ric,

Do any of the golf courses down there contract out? Some around here have went to this to save money. Don't know how the spraying license is structured in Florida, residential, commercial compared to course management but just an idea.
Sprayboy

Thanks for a great Idea but that ship has also sailed in my area. I hate to be negative about any Idea when I am the one asking for help. Fact is I have a friend who is in that business and travels the state doing custom work like Fert and Hollow coring fairways etc. I am guessing he has close to 1/2 million in specialized equipment for Golf Courses. Just the truck to transport it isn't cheap.

BTW Spray license for Golf Course are very easy to get here Florida. Just take a test and pay the licensing fee. I hold several Ag Licenses, rather than take all the CEU to renew, I just re-test every 4 years

We have had some excellent Ideas so far What I am asking is a Brain storming session. In a Brain Storm even what appears to be the Stupidest Idea can trigger a real stroke of genius. So please no matter how simple or stupid your Idea is for this equipment, Please post it. Maybe some else will add to it and we will all have a winner.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can you put some seats along the sides and use it as a taxi to transport the old folks to their shuffleboard games?

You never know?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayboy View Post
Can you put some seats along the sides and use it as a taxi to transport the old folks to their shuffleboard games?

You never know?
And turn the nozzles up to bath em at the same time