Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-02-2011, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Talk about Getting Bend over

I can not believe how outrageous Toro Parts prices can be.

Today I priced new Brake Shoes and Hydraulic brake Slaves for my work saver from a Toro Dealer.

It is Unbelievable that Toro was asking $ 378 for one set of Brake shoes and Drum. I need two, one for each side. Brake Slave Cylinders were another $ 270 EACH. Once again I needed two.

After Cleaning my pants I found a Brake Relining company that will Reline the old shoes which are in good shape. The Slave Cylinders are made by Bendix and had their number stamped on them. I have not had a change to run down the cost of the Slave cylinder from NAPA but expect a very reasonable price no more than $ 50 a piece.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ric why dont you call me some times. we are a bendix dealer. i was also going to tell you to have the shoes relined.. if you have a bendix number email it to me and i will hook you up.........
Old 02-03-2011, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
ric why dont you call me some times. we are a bendix dealer. i was also going to tell you to have the shoes relined.. if you have a bendix number email it to me and i will hook you up.........
Karl

You are on my list and I was planning on stopping by today but got tied up. I didn't even get to my buddies shop to pick up the parts. One thing I wanted was direction to the relining place I believe it is F.M. Clutch?

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 02-04-2011, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Karl

Hopefully I will be seeing you today. I am positive you will have to order the slaves Cylinders and that means next week before I get them. Rob my Mechanic is just about done with his first part of the Project. The Brakes which we really didn't have to replace but are doing so for safety are the last step in phase one.

End of this Month I attach a Herd spreader on the Reese hitch welded on the front and treat 25 acres for Fire Ants. Then phase two is a wood flat bed that I stripped off a old truck before Sending it to the scrap yard. The wood was almost brand new so I kept it inside my barn. Next hopefully comes a 200 gallon tank and boom-less nozzle. Good thing I have Rob because there will be some fabrication needed.

I am still not sure if I will try putting a boom on this unit. At present time I am thinking only about using it with nonstaining environmentally safe insecticides.

Even though I am paying someone else to do the work, I am really enjoying bring this 15 year old unit back to life. And the best part is a I have one job I can use it on that pays for the equipment.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well I feel like a Raped Ape after finally breaking down and paying Toro's prices for a Brake Cylinder. By the time shipping Tax and general BS a $ 35.00 Brake Cylinder Cost me over $ 300.00.

Add in another $ 127 for Brake shoe relining and I have more in Brake parts as I do on all the other parts and paint. I did get a trade out deal on the labor, so I am still looking great on the total package. I am hoping by the time it has a Boom less sprayer and tank etc, I will have only around $ 2,000 invested. If this unit last until the end of year, It will paid for itself 3 times over.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Well I feel like a Raped Ape after finally breaking down and paying Toro's prices for a Brake Cylinder. By the time shipping Tax and general BS a $ 35.00 Brake Cylinder Cost me over $ 300.00.

Add in another $ 127 for Brake shoe relining and I have more in Brake parts as I do on all the other parts and paint. I did get a trade out deal on the labor, so I am still looking great on the total package. I am hoping by the time it has a Boom less sprayer and tank etc, I will have only around $ 2,000 invested. If this unit last until the end of year, It will paid for itself 3 times over.
So ric was that brake cylinder a master cylinder or wheel cylinder ?

I figured you would find some thing in the auto section that would work.

Charles Cue
Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
So ric was that brake cylinder a master cylinder or wheel cylinder ?

I figured you would find some thing in the auto section that would work.

Charles Cue
Charles

It is a wheel cylinder made by Bendix with a valid Bendix Number molded right on the part. I went to every source I could think of including NAPA and Lawnsite Member Gregory.

Toro had these part manufactured by Bendix and Held those part Captive so only Toro could buy them from Bendix. What I have found out is that is a common practice and the Broadcast spreader Motor on the Lesco Truckter is also a captive part by Lesco. Once again a $ 40 motor can only be purchased from Lesco for around $ 200.

Now while I feel like a Raped Ape purchasing this wheel cylinder, I still Feel ahead of the game on this piece of equipment. I was prepared to purchase a new Engine when we first started into the Project. My mechanic rewired everything and replaced the Starter and Magneto to find very little wear on the Engine.

I don't have a digital Camera. But next time I can get my friend with a Camera over to the shop I just might have him take pictures of all the Machines in this home shady tree machine shop. He even has a Computer driven Plasma cutter table that can cut out parts.

Fact is We have had this equipment for about two years just sitting because of no real use for it. I picked a 25 acre Common Area Fire Ant control job 4 times a year. The second Treatment is due at the End of February. Therefore Time is such that I couldn't afford to wait on reasonable priced parts. If I only use this equipment for that contract, It is paid for and I still have a nice profit on top of a Ride on Spreader with 200 gallon tank.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bump Bump

Well Ric seems to be the only one interested in this thread if no one else is. But then Ric had the Equipment for several years and finally got enough work to justify a rebuild.

All the parts are finally in and hopefully I can do my first job spreading Fire Ant baits with it Next Monday or Tuesday. That job is big enough that the profit will covers the total expense so far. But remember I got some real bargains on this equipment as well as trade outs. I am looking at Tanks now and think the Northern 200 gallon leg Tank will work nicely. I am planning on a Boomless nozzle but will build the tank saddle in such away that a regulator Boom can be supported at a later install time.

Some how I can't see going wrong with this equipment at the price I got it. If worse comes to worse I think I could sell it at a profit.

BTW I am planning on using a HN 55 Chemilizer Injector instead of tank mixing. This way I have only Fresh water in the Multi Pro tank. If I need to, I can pull the plug and empty the tank for transportation proposes. I can also change products at any time and not lose a drop. I had one on my Insecticide Spray truck and loved it until it got broken by an accident.

http://www.qcsupply.com/chemilizer-h...n=productfeeds

Old 02-15-2011, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Bump Bump

Well Ric seems to be the only one interested in this thread if no one else is. But then Ric had the Equipment for several years and finally got enough work to justify a rebuild.

All the parts are finally in and hopefully I can do my first job spreading Fire Ant baits with it Next Monday or Tuesday. That job is big enough that the profit will covers the total expense so far. But remember I got some real bargains on this equipment as well as trade outs. I am looking at Tanks now and think the Northern 200 gallon leg Tank will work nicely. I am planning on a Boomless nozzle but will build the tank saddle in such away that a regulator Boom can be supported at a later install time.

Some how I can't see going wrong with this equipment at the price I got it. If worse comes to worse I think I could sell it at a profit.

BTW I am planning on using a HN 55 Chemilizer Injector instead of tank mixing. This way I have only Fresh water in the Multi Pro tank. If I need to, I can pull the plug and empty the tank for transportation proposes. I can also change products at any time and not lose a drop. I had one on my Insecticide Spray truck and loved it until it got broken by an accident.

http://www.qcsupply.com/chemilizer-h...n=productfeeds
If I pay to add a side car to it can I put some goggles and a leather fighter pilot helmet on and ride shotgun during the apps??
Old 02-15-2011, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
If I pay to add a side car to it can I put some goggles and a leather fighter pilot helmet on and ride shotgun during the apps??
Brian

Only if you have a Co Pilot's license issued by the FCC and the BEPC DACS