Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-28-2002, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Right or Wrong

Ok...here's my problem.

I already own a consulting company. We provide technology solutions for law firms and such throughout the state. However, I'm bored with that and I'm starting a landscape management company to pass my free time.

Now, one of my existing clients with my consulting firm owns several dozen commercial properties...I'm sure some of you can see where this is going. Do I approach the owner and say hey, I can provide another great service for you or is that wrong to do? I actually, mysteriously enough, ran into the owner of the landscape company that currently handles ALL of my clients properties. If I go in there now, I'm sure it will get back to him I tried to take his business...

I'm having a problem with this one and I'm not sure what to do...any ideas?
Old 08-28-2002, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't think it is wrong for you to mention that you are now providing these services. If you don't approach people and let them know you won't be in this business long. As for as the other contractor if he has a good relationship with this customer you may not get it anyway. We all lose business to others from time to time and although we don't like it life goes on.
Dennis
Dennis E. Forbes
Old 08-28-2002, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sell your consulting business, semi-retire, and then approach all your contacts this winter about contracting for them for the up coming season. If I were your clients though, i would be leary to let a consultant take care of the lawn and landscaping. There is alot more to this business than just mowing. If you dont know exactly what to do, you are going to ruin quite a few relationships by learning on their property. If you have the knoledge and manpoer, I think the worst thing that can happen would be you here no's from your clients. If that were to happen though, you may put a kink in your consulting-relationship, which is why i suggest selling your consulting business. Oh well, good luck

Jason
Old 08-29-2002, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Haha...I understand completely...however...selling my consulting business is completely out of the question. It is doing way to well. However, the point that was made regarding pissing off my current clients by "learning" on their properties does seem scarry. I think I will change directions and start with some "unknowns" to play it safe!

Thanks everybody!
Old 09-03-2002, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

James, no offense but you want to start a landscaping biz because your bored? I assume that you are making good money now right? Why not do something fun with your free time? Are you married, have a girlfriend? I guess I just don't get it. Do you want to grow this lawn biz and do it full time? What are your future goals? Have some fun now!
Old 09-03-2002, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know...I guess I just love to work? I have a great wife...and we do plenty of traveling. I just enjoy landscaping and I figured I could make some cash while again, doing something I enjoy...much like my first business.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much free time do you expect to have when starting this new business in addition to the one you have. I am a FT mech. eng and PT lawn care business and I can tell you that you won't have much free time left. Work becomes work no matter how much you love it in the beginning.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh I know...trust me. I am going in with a friend who is a fireman. Not only does he have alot of free time, but he has plenty of guys with the same looking for work. I'm hoping to be more of the front man than anything else. I have all the contacts.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well the first and most important thing you have going for you is that you like "working in the dirt"....anyone who gets into this biz and does not like to work with plants and mother nature is in my opinion simply NUTS!!! You need to like this work in order to get yourself thru the days when you say "what the heck was I thinking when I got into this business". I wore a white shirt for 20 years b4 starting this business less than a year ago....but I did this work part time for 10 yrs so I had some idea of the work involved and the headaches. Unless you have a personal landscape that is impressive and done by YOU, dont be surprised if people dont break down your door for services....they are first going to see you as Mr Techy who installs software solutions....unless you can show them that you know the elements of turf and plant care.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

James, be aware of the two cheifs theory in this business. You know how to run a business obviously but just to let you know that there is not nearly the amount of profit in this field as the one you are currently in.