Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2011, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenteamlawns View Post
Thanks for all of the information!

I am currently looking at a TG/CL truck. It is a 2001 w/ about 110k on it. ALL of the pump/tank components have been stripped and it is just a bare box. The guy is asking $7k for it. Based on what you say, Ric, this is quite a bit overpriced.

To add more fuel to the fire, the truck has a transmission issue. It will not drive if you start it in drive, but will work if you start in 1, then 2, etc. He is willing to knock at least $1500 off if I take it as-is. Has anyone had an issue like this with the transmission? Is it an expensive fix?

I appreciate any help.
Green

Without any working spray parts all you have is a small short wheel based Box Truck. Maybe Florida is at the end of the earth but we have plenty of used Box Trucks here for sale cheap. Some of these trucks were bought up north and used to move to Florida. Same with Trailers so we do get a bargain now and again.

The design of the TG/CL Isuzu Truck is such that re-plumbing it is harder than the average bear. Just getting a reasonable size tank in the door is a problem. The PTO set up is designed for a Hydro Cel 25 pump which costs over $ 3,000 brand new. If you use the PTO you will have a lot of design changes to do using Hypro pumps. Gasoline powered pumps would have to be placed inside where Heat build up and fums area problem.

I purchased a working spray truck with Bald tires for $ 4250.00. Except the tires I could have worked the truck that day. The only major plumbing I did was separating the two tank plumbing TG/CL had. I want two totally separate sprayers that didn't use the same parts like the TG/CL set up. Add in a commercial Truck Paint Job. (not exactly a metallic show stopper) and I had $ 10,000 in the truck. Of course I had excellent 3 tanks set up for a very cheap price that is still servicing me well.

IMHO you don't need to walk away from this deal. You need to run hard and fast.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

2 went to Central America

Hope I can jump on this forum, cuz we bought 3 TruGreen trucks for a grand total of $9,000.

We sold two of them, but we kept one truck. All 3 trucks included a "400 gallon Tuflex tank". Just go to http://www.Tuflexmfg.com. and see what they're worth new. They are expensive, and they last for 30 years or more.

Main thing you want to consider is the condition of the "truck" (mainly the engine/tranny) - not the the hose reels, fittings, etc which are usually corroded and worthless anyway.

I got "spanked" by a LS member years ago, cuz he thought we should keep the original PTO system system (truck engine running at all times). Instead, we installed an electric-start Honda motor. Nice move on our part >> I figure this makes the "GO GREEN" folks happy too.

rscvp, thanks
Old 11-26-2011, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

careful

transmission is a big ticket item....ask for huge price concession or walk away
Old 12-02-2011, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Could you get a z-spray max in the back of a Trugreen truck with the spraying unit already in place?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2011, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Transmission is expensive. Find out what a brand new tranny costs and the labor to install it. Ask them to deduct that. Say about $5000.

The state requires some protection if you are hauling pesticides. That probably does not apply to hauling dilute spray solutions. Keep asking around--especially your local landscape association. You may need to carry a "spill kit". My state requires that.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can get the International models 6 cyl diesel 'american made' trucks with I believe 1000 gallon capacity in 2 tanks, + plenty of room of a pallet of material, and a push spreader dock w/ ramp.) they have 100-130k and are READY TO WORK except they need hose end sprayers attached.

$8500 each. and well worth it. I can fabricate, and finish a super heavy duty hitch w/ wiring for another 500 bucks. If you're interested.. let me know.

The value is definately there.. An empty fiberglass box is usually a lot more than $10,000... usually tanks cost $1 per gallon... The pump alone is like 2500 new. 2 electric hose reels at $600 each.. + hose... etc..

I've replaced my Isuzu with one of these trucks.. and let me tell ya... it's a LOT better. I'm going to be spoiled by how easy it is to diagnose, and work on plumbing issues. Everything is over engineered.. and very durable.

The only complaint I have is that some of the fiberglass work needs to be reinforced.. usually around hinges.

I've got over $30,000 in my isuzu box truck... and so far it's also been a lot more costly to work on.. harder to get in and out of.. and a lot more likely to break down on the plumbing side. I'm also really worried about having guys climb in and out of the back.. especially when wet. It's like 4 feet off the ground. Lots of guys have died that way.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...ies%26_fvi%3D1

There's the kind truck I speak of. except mine have been gone thru... with have inspection passing tires, and be ready to go.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can also get just the boxes for ethier Trugreen truck for about $1500 empty, or $2250 ready to work (minus pump)
Old 12-05-2011, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayholio View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...ies%26_fvi%3D1

There's the kind truck I speak of. except mine have been gone thru... with have inspection passing tires, and be ready to go.
Ray

Looking at this truck on E bay and I am thinking. WHERE ELSE CAN YOU GET A READY TO WORK TRUCK FOR UNDER $ 10,000 TODAY???? This truck is worth putting new tires on etc.

These Trucks have the 7.3 Diesel engine the same proven engine that Ford used in their Trucks. At 136 K this truck is not broken in yet. I have never driven one but I have been told they drive like a car.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.