Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2010, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Qusetions about the sealcoating business??

Well let me first start by saying I have thought about this and have been slowly learning about sealcoating for almost 2 years now. I own a small landscaping business (since 02) and do quite a bit of plowing in the winter months. I have observed over the last couple years that in my area there arn't many sealcoaters and striping companies. I've called eyeryone in the phone book the last 2 years to find someone to pave a small lot for me and I have only had one guy call me back. From what I understand, everyone is too busy to deal with small paving and sealing jobs.

This is where I come in. I am looking to enter the market this spring and slowly pickoff some sealing and striping work and see where it takes us. I've talked to a few plowing customers this year and explained that we may be expanding into sealcoating this year and they showed quite a bit of interest. We have enough summer work to keep us busy (enough) so I will not be relying on this to keep our doors open.

I have a few questions, but I will start off by asking if there is any sort of training videos available for us to learn from, somthing like what SIMA offers. As long as there is no snow forcasted for early February, myself and my dad are planning to attend the National Pavement Expo in Nashville, which should help alot. I already have the trucks, blowers, trailers and manpower to expand into this, now all I need is a little info on products and machines.

Thanks for any help you can offer. If you would rather you may send info via PM or email.

Thanks Andrew
Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Best advice: Go work for a seal coating company for a couple months, there is lots to be learn in this industry, and lots of things can go wrong if you don't know what your doing.

If your really serious about this and what to learn more, check out:
http://www.pavementpro.com/forum/fusionbb.php
Complete lawn care services
Old 01-26-2011, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Youtube has a bunch of how to vids! Its interesting to see the way people put the sealer down! Ive been using a broom to spread it out then pulling the sealer to make straight lines and to clear off the shoe marks! Its alittle more work but theres no over spray!

So Check youtube.com! but you really need hands on to truly learn the ins and outs! But its very easy! Good Luck!!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Member

The first driveway i sealed had a parking area at the top that was 20 ft wide and 30 ft long connected to a drive that was 12 ft wide and 200 ft long.
I was working out of barrels and applying it with a 36 inch commercial seal coating squeegee. I had my helper pour out a good 20 ft wide strip of sealer at the top of the drive and i started with the squeegee. An hour later i hadnt made but six foot of progress and i thought to myself "Uh Oh all this sealer mixed up and the drive way is started and i dont know what im doing and ive really screwed up this time". Lucky for me it was a relatives driveway and i had started at 6:00 am in the morning. And halfway through the job i had to laod up a barrel and drive 50 miles one way to get another 15 gallons of raw sealer and managed to complete the job right after dark. So i didnt exactly start out doing things right. The driveway didnt look perfect but it didnt look too bad either.
Right after that i went out and got a drive way that was close to 8200 sq ft and that was definitely a mistake taking on a job that big and with no more experience than i had. I broke that job down into four days and had six different helpers quit me so i didnt make any money on that job.

The best bit of advice is to find a relative or a close buddy who has a driveway and explain to them you are wanting to go into seal coating business. Make them an offer that if they will pay for the sealer product and the squeegee and also be there to assist you for $10.00 an hour. This will allow you to get a understanding of how to work the squeegee in order to cut and slice and move the sealer. It will also give you an idea of whether or not you actually want to get involved in this type of work.
If you do decide to continue in this work you will want to get twenty or thirty smaller size driveways lined up so you can learn how to use the squeegee. Using a squeegee is like using a paint brush on a window sash. The more practice you put into it the better you will soon become. And if you can do twenty or thirty of these smaller jobs and a couple 7500 sq ft drives out of the barrels then its safe to assume your heart is in it to the point you wont be wasting your money when you buy a full size seal coating setup.

The last thing you want to do is pay several thousand for a proffesional set up and then try to sell it a year later for one third of what you paid for it.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Like everyone said above, the best thing to do is work for someone. Im not small but im not big either. I have a 300 gal tank and a 500 gal tank for parking lots. 75 % of the time you will use the 300 gal. When I first started off, I had 5 gallon buckets then a 275 gal tote and put it in the bed of a ford ranger. Now I have a 1 ton dump and 2 setups. Just takes time and you will learn from mistakes
Old 03-06-2011, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Update

Well I bought a used 550 gallon Seal Rite skid tank for $350. Tank is in good shape, but they pulled off some the hydraulic agitation components. I've got both hydraulic pump and motor from another project that we are going to hook up on this unit.

Its a non spray setup right now, but looking at my seal rite catalog it looks like I can order everything I need to convert this thing over to a spray unit(has anyone ever done this before)

So that's where I am at right now. Hope to have some time this week to start working on this thing and will post some pics as we go.

Andrew
Old 03-06-2011, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No I never did it before, I just buy the whole set up, saves me some headache. But btw 350$ for a 550 gal skid tank is pretty good, make sure you fill it up of water before to see if it leaks before putting sealer in that tank.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea, the skid tank came with 2 water tanks and a brush box. I did some research and I thought the price was good. I was actually ready to buy the Seal Rite 750 gal trailer unit, but decited that since we've never done this before and I am not sure it will take off for us that I didn't want to be selling a $14k unit for $6k a year from now. Great idea on filling it with water before sealer, that would be my luck.

BTW when does your sealing season start up there?

Andrew
Old 03-06-2011, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, it's just like lawn care business, don't spend money on big toys that you don't have the work for it and can't pay the bills.

Still frosty here, it was raining all day long yesterday with a +5C, but today it was -5C with 10Cm of snow. Weird global warming. Sealing for me will start around mid May.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I hear ya about the global warming thing. Where abouts in Ontario are you located?

Andrew