Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2010, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Warm season fertilizer programs

I'm in high school and have mowed lawns for the past couple seasons. Now I want to get into fertilizing and need to develop a good program for next season. I'm thinking: quick release high-N to jumpstart it after the first few cuts, followed by a balanced slow release to last the summer months... that's about as far as I know. Any comments or corrections would be great.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is a good organic fertilization lawn care guide you will find useful: http://www.aggrand.com/articles/g1170.pdf .
Old 12-27-2010, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, good to see another young guy out there in southern California doing lawns! We are blessed with a year round warm climate down here, being in zone 11 we can fertilize year round and the key is to never allow the lawn to get too thatchy, it should be scalped in the beginning of the growing season with a reel mower. Or more preferably it should be aerated. I presume that you are talking about Bermuda. If you don't want to go the organic route, I would follow something like this:

1) In late march after it starts to warm up, apply a treatment of ammonium sulfate to jump start the lawn.

2) April-September apply BEST turf supreme every month using the medium rate every month and water it in.

3) October you can apply 15-15-15 to prep the lawn for winter. Also keep in mind to apply a pre-emergent to prevent Poa Annua from popping up. A good product to apply to the lawn is organic molasses, not sure if you can even find it in our area but I have heard that it builds up the carbohydrates in the lawn and makes it winterize better. October is a crucial month for turf.

4) Apply a nitrogen rich fertilizer through out the winter and cut back on the water. Fertilize probably every other month unless warm.

This is what I would do, but you may have to tweak it slightly. I live in Brea so If you ever need some help just message me. What city are you in?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vipond View Post
Here is a good organic fertilization lawn care guide you will find useful: http://www.aggrand.com/articles/g1170.pdf .
aggrand is the most smelly, reeking, stinking, fetid, foul putrid product I have ever applied in my life

YUCK!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a great program you have, and I plan on offering aerating also. I'm down in Temecula, southwest Riverside County, but I travel to Orange often. I don't personally have a preference on brand, but do you have a preferred commercial supplier? I'm a rookie so all I really know is your generic home depot or lowes.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would check out Ewing irrigation, looks like they have a location in Temecula. They treat you like family there. http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl...26089876968717
Most any lawn mower shop that caters to the pro market will have fertilizers too.

I prefer BEST by Simplot, it's the most common and probably one of the best fertilizers in the south west united states. They have a large product lineup and many of the golf courses here in Orange county use them http://www.simplot.com/turf/best/

I've always wanted to try liquid fertilizers, but I need to wait till I get my applicators license.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
aggrand is the most smelly, reeking, stinking, fetid, foul putrid product I have ever applied in my life

YUCK!
Really??? You are the only one I've ever heard describe it like that. Which of the 5 AGGRAND liquid organic products was this? Was it the liquid fish and kelp, the liquid bonemeal, the liquid lime, the liquid food plot formula, or the liquid sulfate of potash? When did you use it? The current fish/kelp formulation has a deodorizer in it and is also used indoors for houseplants. The MSDS describes it as : "ODOR: Mild Fish Odor" I had a customer apply it to 200 lawns with no complaints. My wife is sensitive to odors and she says it isn't bad. Are you sure it was AGGRAND??? It sounds like you are describing something else...

Last edited by Tim Vipond; 12-27-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No organic fert is going to smell that great. Milorganite, AGGRAND, Vermicompost, compost tea all smell pretty bad.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9Landscapes View Post
No organic fert is going to smell that great. Milorganite, AGGRAND, Vermicompost, compost tea all smell pretty bad.
I have applied vermicompost, composted poultry manure, actively aerated compost tea, and ICT Organics products extensively for years without experiencing odor issues. I have not used Aggrand, so I cannot comment on its odor.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 12-28-2010, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Remember TLC,
you have to get licensed and insured to apply any kind of weed, insect or crabgrass control product.