Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-30-2010, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
The Isuzu trucks were never ment to win speed races they can pack a good payload reliably. I have seen a GMC/Isuzu W4500 carry some extreme weight like 6 tons some loads were heavier.

The biggest problem with Isuzu trucks around here was road salt and rust the cabs would rust to pieces the engines and driveline would have 400,000 kilometers (249,000 miles) on it and the cab is rusted right off the truck.
Thanks guys... I will give it a try.

Thats why I was searching so long for an isuzu. The Ford f-450 is nice but just to many issues with the diesel engines that I dont want to deal with. Also the fuel tank delaminating problem so many complain about.

I have yet to find an isuzu owner who has anything but good things to say about their reliability..... thats huge to me.

Another question maybe someone can hep me with. What is the purpose of the knob next to the steering wheel with the "choke" symbol. It seems to contol the idle RPMS. Is it just for warming up the truck in the morning
?
Old 12-30-2010, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

That knob is the idle control. I use it on cold mornings to warm up the engine. Even though I have the single cab, crew cabs are not that uncommon around here. Good luck with the truck, I know you won't regret it, it's a great truck whether you got it for a bargain or not. One other thing, I hope you don't have high expectations for fuel mileage, it's not that great. But I don't buy trucks for gas mileage, I buy them for doing a job.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the advice. If I get 8 or 9 MPG I am fine with that as long as the truck does what I need it to do. I am lucky that most of my accounts are in a 2-3 mile radius.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 99 NQR and the exhaust brake is on the right side of the steering wheel. Pull it towards you like you would for the high beams and a green lighted symbol comes on,the dash. The salesman told me,take that for what it's worth,the idle speed control is step the engine speed up if you have a hydraulic hoist that isn't electric. I have never used it because I had the electric hoist and body transferred from my old truck. The truck gets about 10mpg towing my 18'enclosed trailer and 11-12 mpg not towing. I had/have a few electrical problems but noting major. My biggest problem is finding a trustworthy shop. The dealer in the area is not impressive. I don't know where in Mont. county you are located but if you find a GOOD shop, let me know. Our shop is in the Quakertown area. Good luck with the truck. Matt
Old 01-03-2011, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I tried the exhuast brake today. It really SLOWS the truck down! This should help tremendously when carrying a full load of mulch.

Macsek, I am taking the truck this week to be serviced at Vechiones in Oreland. I will let you know what my experience is. They handle maintenance and repairs of a lot of the local municipal trucks.

I have also heard good things about Fazekas and Greco in Colmar for heavy truck repair.

I live in Montgomeryville about 25 minutes south of quakertown.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I just purchased a 95 isuzu npr box truck. It has 172k on it. I picked it up for less than a I could buy a Ford Ranger. I have had it for a few months. I mainly use it for those days I need an extra truck. I have been wondering what that green light was. I have never turned it on while driving. I can't wait until tomorrow to see if it works. It is currently a box truck. I'm still not sure what to do yet. I was thinking of a switch n go system. However, I'm not sure I want to pay that much for the bed system, since the truck was so cheap.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On both my NPRs, we have had lots of trouble with the kingpins freezing up. Make sure to keep them greased on yours, because its a pain the get them "Thawed"

J.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What is a kingpin?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan528 View Post
What is a kingpin?
Instead of upper and lower ball joints in the front suspension it's just a pin, very simple. If you take off a front tire you'll see them.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 01-05-2011, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Funny that you guys mention the kingpins. Just got a call from the shop where my new isuzu is being serviced. They mentioned that the kingpins are freezing up. They are trying to free them up and grease them well instead of replacing.

I drove the truck 50 miles home from the dealer and didnt noticed anything wrong with the streering. The mechanic said the truck should be steering alot easer than it is.

Shows how much I know....... These cab forward trucks are really a different breed.....