Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2011, 04:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty sure my web site guy is trying to pull a quick one on me, thoughts?

So, I got this email from the guy that made my website. My site is a VERY basic site, there is only 5 tabs to it. He made the site about 1 1/2 years ago. I'll have to look it up, but I know it was under $200 then for the complete design, hosting for 1 year, and an hour of updates per month, seemed very reasonable then. Here is the email...

Hello,
I will be completing the other website updates by Wednesday evening. I also attached an invoice for this year. I took $120.00 off the hosting and $120.00 off the updates package. I am also waving the fees for the updates I have done for you the past few months. The total on the invoice comes to $21.50 per month and will cover your website and all updates from March 1, 2011 to March 1, 2012.

I hope the business is going well for you and that the discounts I have given you over the past years have helped. If you have any questions, let me know! Talk with you soon Steve.

Charges on the invoice include:

1) Domain Renewal $18
2) Hosting $25 A MONTH with a $120 discount = total due $180
3) Update Services $15 a month = $120 with a $60 discount = $60
Total Due = $258

He claims to have "discounted" my hosting fees by $120, so for a year of hosting with him it is $180!!!! I'm no tech expert, but I know hosting is CHEAP (for example, 1 & 1 has a ton of packages, none reaching this height of costs). I just had another guy build website for me that is just getting finished up within the next couple days for a different business of mine and he is charging me $4 a month!

$15 a month for updates? With his"discount" it takes us to $60 for the year, I'm actually ok with this, even though I rarely ever update the site. This is up to an hour, any time after that is billed out at an hourly rate; also this time CANNOT roll over. I very rarely do updates...

This guy seemed like a reasonable guy up until this, I guess he thinks that since I have my site through him, it would be more of a pain in the butt to have to go through the entire process again with someone else, configure a new domain name, etc.... It also is a further pita because I just got new business cards that HAVE the website on them as well.

Another thing that irritates me is all of this "discounting" jargon he repeats in the invoice, particularly the last sentence "I hope the business is going well for you and that the discounts I have given you over the past years have helped."

He knows I am in college and I think he thinks by "discounting" everything I will feel like I am just getting GREAT deals...

His rates have never even been remotely close to this in the past. I'm a very reasonable person and don't mind paying for quality, but for what I'm getting (espescially compared to his rates in the past compared to these rates) I feel like I am getting screwed over here.

So there it is...What do you think?

My game plan is to wait a couple days, speak with others, get as much insight as possible to make sure I am correct in my view here (currently 99% sure I am), and call him and try to work this out.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also, I guess this is the 2nd strike so to speak lately...

On February 3, I sent him an email with my new logo in various sizes so he could modify the site to reflect the change...

I waited a couple days... no response... I figure maybe he's busy (but web guys go through their emails more than most I would imagine)... couple more days pass, nothing.......

One week later, it is February 10, haven't heard anything, so I email him again asking if there are any updates and ask him to change the current promotion on the site as well...

Finally, on the 11th, I get an email where he states "I will be working on your site this week and should have it updated shortly. I will keep you posted."

On the 17th, he says he is having some trouble "re-working" the site to make the logo fit..... 6 days go by he does complete some of the modifications, but when I go through I see that, for example, on the homepage, the tabs DO NOT WORK NOW! You can't access anything but the homepage... and this took this long to do...

End of my rant.

I'm going to go ahead and up the 99% figure from my last post to 99.99% lol.

Thoughts?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Member

My hosting cost me $38 a year with a coupon through Godaddy. It would normally only be $48 without a coupon.

Overall his price sounds about the same as what I came across for a basic website when I was pricing it at the end of last year. I just decided to do it myself. It's pretty easy to update.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Go Daddy

If you can create a word document you can do your own website on their "website tonight". It took me more than a night, but after a long weekend pretty much devoted to making this website I was pretty happy with it. After a couple of years and getting real comfortable with being able to edit, add picturea combined with all of their people being very helpful I can't see why any one is paying over a hundred dollars per year for everything (and I think closer to 80.00) .
Old 02-27-2011, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Look at it through his eyes. He is offering 12hrs of work and hosting for $258. That's $20/hr if you take all those hrs. Not a bad rate if you ask me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2011, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't read all your post but I did want to say we are very happy with www.Godaddy.com

Old 02-27-2011, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yea i dont think i would want to have to wait for someone to make the changes i want on my website, thats why i chose to make my own with intuit, i can go on it anytime i want and make changes, i use it alot when i take new pics and upload them the same day i took em to my website. i also like the idea of being able to tweek it 100% the way i want it. not hope the guy does a decient job and it looks "good enough"
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 02-27-2011, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One of the reasons I no longer have a website is because I was having to deal with developer to create the website. The particular person who created my website (about 2 years ago) didn't really let me give any opinions about what goes onto MY website. He used extremely poor grammar, wouldn't double check for spelling mistakes, didn't add the pictures I sent him (wanted to use pictures he found off google). I emailed him that there were spelling/grammar mistakes but he never corrected them for me.

So until I find the time to learn how to create a website and put it up, I will not have one.

There are lots of sites out there though, like Intuit, where you can create your own website. GoDaddy also seems to have good prices.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-27-2011, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
One of the reasons I no longer have a website is because I was having to deal with developer to create the website. The particular person who created my website (about 2 years ago) didn't really let me give any opinions about what goes onto MY website. He used extremely poor grammar, wouldn't double check for spelling mistakes, didn't add the pictures I sent him (wanted to use pictures he found off google). I emailed him that there were spelling/grammar mistakes but he never corrected them for me.

So until I find the time to learn how to create a website and put it up, I will not have one.

There are lots of sites out there though, like Intuit, where you can create your own website. GoDaddy also seems to have good prices.
its really not that hard man, if i could figure it out a monkey could figure it out.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 02-27-2011, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac1996acc View Post
My hosting cost me $38 a year with a coupon through Godaddy. It would normally only be $48 without a coupon.

Overall his price sounds about the same as what I came across for a basic website when I was pricing it at the end of last year. I just decided to do it myself. It's pretty easy to update.
where do you get the coupon?