NOn solo takes one 9 14.06%
Non solo does not take one 4 6.25%
Takes during the winter. 28 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2011, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJCuttingEdge View Post
Ive been both solo and run with employees.... I take a vacation every year in Aug when its hot and dry, lawns slow down in growth and I leave for 1 week... I cut 60lawns or so in 2 days and then come back and start the next week 1 day late, customers are 100% ok with it. I mail out a nice letter explaining there lawn will be cut early that week and up to 1 day late the following week. Never had anyone complain about it since during the rest of the season I am always on a scheduled day heck they basically know what time im showing up within 5mins each day
I will not allow any employee to run my route ever! i put to much into being what ive become to loose it for one guy screwing something up
Old 03-31-2011, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm solo, I go really hard at it in the summer, take no brake, only when it rains. But in the winter I'm off so.
Complete lawn care services
Old 04-01-2011, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Solo and have taken one for the last 3 years. A bit unfair though, my dad earns a trip with his company almost every year and I'm usually the lucky one who gets to go along. I wouldn't choose to take a vacation during peak season but I'm not going to pass on a free trip.

Heading to Jamaica in a couple weeks. I just tell all my customers I'm going to be gone and I'll catch up the week I get back. Not usually a big deal.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Im a solo op/one employee(no big crew or anything) but i take a 'vacation' every weekend almost in the summer if there is good weather. If i dont go to lake house, i go to local lakes and wake board and have dinner on the boat on weekends. Unless i have a big job, i schedule everything mon-friday. When summer is in tip of drought up here when things slow down a ton, i do all my hi end clients wednesday and thursday and take a long vacation from thursday night(drive up north to lake house) until tuesday night, drive home to go to work.(lake house is only 1 1/2 hrs away)

I cant work all the time, be in college, and not have fun on the weekends. Its my time to be a teenager and enjoy life. I love my job, but being with family and making gf happy is more important to me.

Creating a future for myself is what i am doing during the week. Enjoying my family is for weekends. 401k started when i was 14. Looking to retire at the age of 40 so i'll have the rest of my life to enjoy life after work. I am 18 now. Big dreams and big expectations for the next 5-10 years....... sorta rambling on now, but ya gotta have vacation!

Insured and Licensed