Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2011, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Business rookie!!!

I have a lot of questions! First off i know enough to know that i know nothing about business. i have no problem busting my a$$. i have a full time job and make a good living, but i am not happy. i love making lawns and landscaping look like it should be in a magizine. so i started a business. the only lawn i mow besides my own is my soon to be wifes commercial property. this up comming mowing season i am putting the word out... i plan on doing door hangers in the upper middle income and vacation homes around the area. i have put in a low-ball bid to do the local cemerty just to get my name out there. i still have my sometimes more than full time job, and plan to keep it.(till i get my feet off the ground) one of my worries is over priceing(no work), and under priceing(too much work, with no profit). my thought is to purchase equipment as needed, and can be paid for by the profit off the year. i currently have the nessacery equipment to do the work i have, and do it well, just not efficently. i do have funds that i can fall back on to help my businees for the first few years. but i do not want to fight an uphill battle. i am lookig at doing some small commercial business. i guess my question is, where is the best place to start, and how. thanks in advance

ps: sorry for the spelling errors if any.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

welcome aboard! Starting off with commercial properties may be a little tricky for a few different reasons... Are you licensed and insured? Because most likely they are going to want to see it when you submit a bid... Cemetaries, not so much... Apartments.. yes. Second, they are going to want it done on a set day and set time during the week when 90% of the apartment complex is at work... Can your full time job allow for this? Since you dont really have any customers as of yet, I would highly reccomend starting with residentials and focus on them for the first year, that way if you price a job wrong it's not going to kill you until you can figure out your bottom line and price yourself accordingly... Besides, residentials are much easier then commercials... Gotta learn to walk before you can run my man.... Hope this helps...
Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ProcsLC gave some good information. May I also suggest you taking some time, learn about that "search" function up there and do a little research. I'm sure you will find a HOST of information.
Please don't think I'm being rude, I'm not. This forum is PACKED with lots of great information from lots of great people. Just take some time, type in a few things, like "insurance", "licenes", "accounting", etc... just pick it!!
Here is a few you can start with:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=262189

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=327102

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=336795

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=336497

Just sit back, relax, and do a little reading.
Welcome to Lawnsite, Happy New Year, and we wish you the best!!
Old 01-02-2011, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You will probably regret the cemetery. They are a ton more of work. Lowball pricing will only add to that misery. Unless it is a flat marker only place.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2011, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you all so much for the help. procslc i am licensed in commercial pesticides, and getting insurance. i have checked with the county as to any other license's i need, and they say no. i have done a lot of reading on different types of grasses and deises. i live in a small town of 1000 people. the town 15 miles away has a lot of expensive vacation homes. that is what i plan on focusing on for my residential mowing. There is not much for flower beds or any other landscaping to maintain. my full time job is very slow during the summer months. we work 4 10 hour days, so i have 3 days a week to work. The cemetery i underbid last years by $1000. only needs to be mowed 8 times per year. my bid was 4950. again thank you all for the help, i am sure you will be hearing from me again. any help is GREATLY appreciated
Old 01-02-2011, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like Lefet said the search box in the upper right is you friend. And insurance is a must. Its better to be safe than sorry. Like Pro said start with residentials incase your pricing is off you not losing your a$$.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Lowball a cemetery is a bad idea, been there
Old 01-04-2011, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

forget the cemetery work, you'll regret it..too much ww around the stones..id suggest keeping your costs to a minimum and just focus on getting your name out there by sending out flyers to residential house owners by undercutting the pros by a reasonable amount..just make sure you can do the same quality work they do. As far as insurance and taxes id say screw it. i started out a business at 16 with a small exmark mower, and now im 20 and am selling the business i started out for 55k...never worried about all the legal stuff. unless ur a big busn you dont have too much to worry about legally. just slowly get customers of houses and work your way up..itll take a good 5 yrs unfortunately before u really start getting some decent pay.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardscaping View Post
never worried about all the legal stuff. unless ur a big busn you dont have too much to worry about legally. just slowly get customers of houses and work your way up..itll take a good 5 yrs unfortunately before u really start getting some decent pay.
Do not listen to this unless you want to be fined and sued up the a$$ if some one gets hurt or something gets broken or better yet the IRS nails you for tax evasion.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardscaping View Post
As far as insurance and taxes id say screw it. i started out a business at 16 with a small exmark mower, and now im 20 and am selling the business i started out for 55k...never worried about all the legal stuff. unless ur a big busn you dont have too much to worry about legally. just slowly get customers of houses and work your way up..itll take a good 5 yrs unfortunately before u really start getting some decent pay.
At least it was a good chuckle for the evening, probably total hogwash but worth a chuckle just the same.
Still definately BBBAAAAAAADDDDDDDDD advice!