Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-04-2011, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

well it depends on if ur willing to take the risk..i did. i started when i was 13 not 16, my mistake... for 7 years i never had any problems or accidents. it really is a personal choice. i'm buddies with alot of big landscapers who, if they have insurance at all, have it for one of their employees and not all of them. one of their guys gets hurt, they use it for him..risky though..a lot of other guys i know dont use it at all either. i really dont see the need paying out the ass a couple grand if when ur starting out u most likely wont even make that much back..id say wait until you start bringin in about 50k a year..my opinion. i see where xclusive is comin at though
Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow this poster seems vaguely familiar......
Old 01-04-2011, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

it really is a personal decision. i started when i was 13, not 16, mistake, and i never got insurance or did any tax work..although risky, if ur not going big and not hiring alot of ppl if really see no need paying out of the ass several grand for insurance and taxes for doing small amounts of work..im selling my busn now and still have never done insurance or taxes..although, i will say that if i were to continue to expand i would do it now. But, im saying if ur small dont worry about it yet, try to make a profit. I know several big landscapers that still do not do any of the legal stuff, but have an insurance plan for one employee, so if any of theirs gets hurt they use it for that employee. i do agree with xclusive where it can be dangerous..but if ur willing to take the risk id say wait till ur making 50k or so.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

sorry idk why this is posting in random spots all of a sudden
Old 01-04-2011, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardscaping View Post
sorry idk why this is posting in random spots all of a sudden
Man, you DO need insurance. What if you vere into another thread and cause a wreck.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 01-04-2011, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
Man, you DO need insurance. What if you vere into another thread and cause a wreck.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes you ABSOLUTELY need insurance.....we are talking liability insurance...... sounds like leonard landscaping might have meant health or workmans comp insurance based on his comments about an employee getting hurt. Probably need a commercial auto policy also if you are using a vehicle to make money or pull a work trailer....Check with your insurance agent and see what they recommend
Old 01-06-2011, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

i am starting to think more and more that the cemetery was a bad idea, but it is a start. i have crunched the numbers countless times, and i figure i will profit almost 2k even with paying part time help, and buying a new mower. so i think it will be worth it this year. i want to see how much i can do in a days time. i am figuring i can get it done in 10 hours with the ww. the part i am afraid of is approaching costomers, so far i have gotten 3 no's and a maybe. do you have any tricks???? i have called them so it was not in person. i do not know if that makes a difference. thanks again
Old 01-06-2011, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3wlandscaping View Post
i am starting to think more and more that the cemetery was a bad idea, but it is a start. i have crunched the numbers countless times, and i figure i will profit almost 2k even with paying part time help, and buying a new mower. so i think it will be worth it this year. i want to see how much i can do in a days time. i am figuring i can get it done in 10 hours with the ww. the part i am afraid of is approaching costomers, so far i have gotten 3 no's and a maybe. do you have any tricks???? i have called them so it was not in person. i do not know if that makes a difference. thanks again
If you're "afraid of approaching customers", then I would say pack it in. I wouldn't even consider calling someone on the phone. I want to be right there in your face so you can try to tell me no! Besides, if I do a face to face, we get to walk around your property and I can tell you all the good things I can do to make your property look special.
And again I say, STOP THINKING NEW EQUIPMENT!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

yes i plan on getting insurance. to me it is a must!!!!!!!!!!! i have already talked to my agent, and get only what i need to.