Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2011, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=Lefet;3848015]He was one of the people I was referring to. Unsubscribed to that thread a long time ago, but did see your comment.

Great place to be isn't it? Just waiting for Spring!!
Who's waiting? I got 2 leaf jobs tomorrow. Only in FL can you do leaves in January.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Who's waiting? I got 2 leaf jobs tomorrow. Only in FL can you do leaves in January.
Lucky you!!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I 2nd that Lucky You! Still waiting for our first plowable snow here only 2 saltings so far. Thanks goodness for my interior maintenance and janitorial contracts or I'd be really feelin it in my wallet!!! Can't wait for the spring cleanups and "guarenteed" weekly income from mowing!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3wlandscaping View Post
Thank you all so much for the help. procslc i am licensed in commercial pesticides, and getting insurance. i have checked with the county as to any other license's i need, and they say no. i have done a lot of reading on different types of grasses and deises. i live in a small town of 1000 people. the town 15 miles away has a lot of expensive vacation homes. that is what i plan on focusing on for my residential mowing. There is not much for flower beds or any other landscaping to maintain. my full time job is very slow during the summer months. we work 4 10 hour days, so i have 3 days a week to work. The cemetery i underbid last years by $1000. only needs to be mowed 8 times per year. my bid was 4950. again thank you all for the help, i am sure you will be hearing from me again. any help is GREATLY appreciated
Make sure you check with your state as far as paying taxes. Not sure about there, but here has a "service tax"
Old 01-07-2011, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I would gladly pay for the info i received here, over the last year i have read evey book i have come across about the business. (including lawn care for dummies) none of those have helped me as much as this place. i will probably ask some stupid questions in the future so please be patient. one thing i have heard is that your first year of business is always the most important. i heard it will define you as a business person for the rest of your life... is this true????? i am a very particular person when it comes to lawns. i hear you guys talk about the mow and blow guys.. what does that mean??? i really do not want to be one of them. lol. what do you think about joining the state assocations?? exp: wisc landscapers assc.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Mow and blow guys are just that... Guys that go to a property...cut it... blow it off and then go... This is NOT a bad thing, but limits the extra work you may get from the homeowner.... I offer additional services, but have many customers I just mow & blow for and they send me a check... It all depends on how you want to run your company... Honestly, I may great money with my mow and blow accounts or I wouldn't be doing them... Also, birds of a feather flock together... Which means, you can most likely pick up groups of homes on the same street for just mow & go's... Which is how I make great money with mine... 5 houses in one row... all 25 bucks each, no fences.... doesn't take me very long to zip right down and do them all as "one big yard"... So before you say NO to being a mow & go guy.... Don't limit yourself and be open to the possibility of making some good money, pretty easy....
Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mow n go is fine until the grass stops growing. Even here in Florida it slows way down in winter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-07-2011, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok c3w, I like your enthusiasm. I believe with your drive it won't be long until you are the guy with the chops everyone is asking questions.

As far as getting more business in the door. I would like to throw out think long term and repeat business.

Being you are semi covered (smart move) I would approach the types of neighborhoods and businesses I would like to work with.

Then map out a plan to contact and follow up with them. You never know when they are sick and tired of their current guy. And bam yours is the first name that comes to mind.

Next, spring is quickly approaching. Now is the time to put your marketing into high gear. Once again you want to be the first person these people think of when they need their grass mowed.

I would begin with getting set up with a site and google places for right now. Then move on with door hangers and some postcard marketing.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinrock View Post
Ok c3w, I like your enthusiasm. I believe with your drive it won't be long until you are the guy with the chops everyone is asking questions.

As far as getting more business in the door. I would like to throw out think long term and repeat business.

Being you are semi covered (smart move) I would approach the types of neighborhoods and businesses I would like to work with.

Then map out a plan to contact and follow up with them. You never know when they are sick and tired of their current guy. And bam yours is the first name that comes to mind.

Next, spring is quickly approaching. Now is the time to put your marketing into high gear. Once again you want to be the first person these people think of when they need their grass mowed.

I would begin with getting set up with a site and google places for right now. Then move on with door hangers and some postcard marketing.

Hope that helps.
i have no idea where to get a site, or how to do it. but i will figure it out today. i have made a list of business that i want to contact, and started doing so by phone, but was told that was not a good idea. so i will be going in to these businesses next week. is it to soon to approch home owners this time of year??
Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, right now in your area.... WAY to soon... No residential home owner is thinking about having their lawn mowed when there holding a snow shovel... I'm in Upstate NY area and we have similar winters... Mid March has worked best for me over the years, maybe even a tad sooner if the weather breaks early...