Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-28-2010, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello, Newbie in Northern Illinois

Hello, to all. I'm retiring in 2011 after 45 years in the manufacturing sector and am in the process of getting my solo lawn care business up and running.

My question is when is the best time to start talking to commercial properties about bidding and knocking on residential doors? As mowing seldom starts before late April or early May here I don't want to drop my name to early for it only to get lost over time.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Mike
Old 12-29-2010, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Many lawn care providers suggest the first warm day in winter, but as I saw elsewhere, it takes a residential customer an average of seven or so times of seeing your advertisement to act on it. My personal strategy is to go door to door or invest in door hanger fliers, and then come back in about two weeks to repeat the process. Make sure they see you more than anyone else. Since you are in the north, I would suggest a first round in early march and again later that month, followed by another in april if you choose. As far as commercial properties, I would call them much sooner, february if you choose. Just scout out potential commercial properties and either walk in or find their name in the phone book and enunciate your services in the most convincing way possible.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for the feedback. Makes good sense.