Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2011, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
tlg you also have to remember the article wasn't really an article but more an "ad" for the discussion

and the best ad's get the participants "emotional" which it has done so, even an ad that you don't like or care for has done it job by eliciting the emotional response...
Emotional yes, intellectual no.

All plants do have a place and function all over the planet. All people have certain tastes, desires and needs, for a pleasant habitat in their life.

Our job is to provide the HO or business with the options that they desire, for whatever reason. Pollution is in the hands of the LCO and being wise in our activities is the best we can do.

CO2 is plant food, and for the atmosphere to hold excessive heat is like saying a cotton sheet is good for an overnite in Death Valley. The biggest emotion in the GW discussion is fear, and I'm not interestted in telling people that spraying their petunias is evil...
Old 01-06-2011, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
and I'm not interestted in telling people that spraying their petunias is evil...
but some people are. And we have several options...

1. poo poo em outright basically saying My way is better
2. cave in and what the customer wants
3. Or you can look at the issue from both sides of the table realizing that no matter what you do, there is always going to be a perceived negative effect to someone.

when I was younger I usually did #1 or #2 and I am slowly learning that #3 is the way to go. Educate, research and figure our what is best best. There will always be times that you have to do #2 and there will always be time when you want to stick to your guns...but I'm finding that #3 works real well..
Old 01-06-2011, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

In many cases, it's some in our industry who give ammunition to the radical environmentalists e.g. blanket broadleaf-spraying on already-weed-free lawns or those guys who spray in 30 mph winds with more spray going on a busy street than on the lawn.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 01-06-2011, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What we all should remember is that if we don't police ourselves we will surely come under the scrutiny of others. By others I mean those that may not particularly like the lawn care industry. All it takes is a loud voice and a majority to force legislation governing how and why we do what we do. Those companies that continue to put people and the environment at risk by their negative actions will do us all harm in the long run. Our industry also needs more leaders and innovators showing that we can be progressive to reduce any detrimental methods we may use to maintain our customers property. We simply need to take the emotional factor out of the equation and base decisions on factual information. Radicals have no place in an honest discussion of the issues. Keeping an open mind to other ideas and solutions to problems is the only way we can move forward. Providing options for all our customers needs should be a top priority for all LCO's.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Last nite on PBS they had the documentary, "Botany of Desire". One segment dealt with the GMO potato initiative.
Now, if we can't deal with GMO potatoes, AND we don't like the CPB eating up the potato crop, then we can't have the nice long French Fries, at McDonalds.
One farmer had a field that was a 100 miles long in Idaho, and was happy with GMO, becuz it meant that insecticide was greatly reduced.
Smaller farmers went organic for higher prices and smaller varieties, but obviously the organic cannot feed russets to the world.
One person's lawn is much easier to manage, but if we make our money on the pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers, we will always sell as much as we can whether they need it or not...
Wisco waterways are getting better as time goes by, with wise management in many areas of our culture. Extremism is not necessary from anything that I've witnessed...

I agree, Emotional extremism is not what we need to make our living environment better... Did anybody see the show?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would agree that plenty of LCO's sell products to customers they don't necessarily need. From a business standpoint we do want to sell more and more of our services, but at what cost? Morals and ethics are things we hope would keep these kind of things in check. Unfortunately money tends to let even the best of companies stray from doing what is right. Accountability is always going to be tough to enforce. How do we make LCO's do the right things?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlg View Post
How do we make LCO's do the right things?
how do we "make" any one do the right thing?

penalties, fines, ect ????

as long as their is some sort of advantage with bending/breaking rules people will bend/break em...

Ethics/ morals.... sorry but they are not being passed down from generation to generation any more by many people...
Old 01-06-2011, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can't cheat an honest person. You can rip them off and steal from them, but you can't cheat an honest person.

The homeowner Joe sixpack citizen has a right to 'his' morality as you do... If he believes that he needs x+y pesticides, because you lied to him, then it is the dishonesty of the LCO.
However, the Joe sixpack has a responsibility to be informed, but he doesn't want to. His morality is not in the best interest of the neighborhood, only that his grass is greener than everyone else's.

My contention is: if Joe sixpack is not honest, the LCO is not going to care. You can't invoke a police state, becuz TGCL is down your street everyday, but you can build a Better Business Model, and eliminate TGCL.

If we ACTUALLY knew what we were doing of course...
Old 01-07-2011, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
how do we "make" any one do the right thing?

penalties, fines, ect ????

as long as their is some sort of advantage with bending/breaking rules people will bend/break em...

Ethics/ morals.... sorry but they are not being passed down from generation to generation any more by many people...
The older I get the more disappointed I become. After 30 years in this industry I would hope we all would be at a higher level of concern for our planet, people and our respective businesses in the future. Fear of repercussion the biggest motivator we have right now. The " now generation " will never understand why we need to look years ahead and prepare for changes that will inevitably come. As an industry I believe we will adapt to change. The reality check is on the horizon. My goal is to not be caught unprepared.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
You can't cheat an honest person. You can rip them off and steal from them, but you can't cheat an honest person.

The homeowner Joe sixpack citizen has a right to 'his' morality as you do... If he believes that he needs x+y pesticides, because you lied to him, then it is the dishonesty of the LCO.
However, the Joe sixpack has a responsibility to be informed, but he doesn't want to. His morality is not in the best interest of the neighborhood, only that his grass is greener than everyone else's.

My contention is: if Joe sixpack is not honest, the LCO is not going to care. You can't invoke a police state, becuz TGCL is down your street everyday, but you can build a Better Business Model, and eliminate TGCL.

If we ACTUALLY knew what we were doing of course...
I agree. A customer should without question be informed. Doing his own do diligence would be great just to keep everybody honest. However, it's been my experience that the people that hire us are ambivalent and oblivious. As you said the want " grass that's greener than everyone else's ". How it gets there is not their concern. I do think customers do at some point realize that they are being bamboozled by some companies questionable methods. Honesty and integrity are the best we can offer those people to show them a better way of doing business.