Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2011, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

2005 3500 Diesel Silverado

Looking at a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually 2 WD
6.6 Liter Duramax Diesel with Allison Automatic Transmission
Work Interior includes manual window and locks, Vinyl floor and seating with front bench
AM/FM Radio, Air Conditioning, Cruise
With 9.6 ft DUMP BED and 2 ft cargo/tool holder behind cab (in front of dump)
Dump has nice sides (heavy guage - see through and nylon roll top to keep load from blowing out) and truck is in really good shape with about 80K miles - (one owner - did brick and stone work)
Questions is this a good truck? Feedback please. MPG loaded - Hwy unloaded? What will it haul (weight)?. I will be hauling just mulch or compost so I doubt I will max it out but curious? I would think it would pull 15,000 lbs easy? what something like this worth?
No pics available just looking for your feedback on this model truck.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

With the dump bed installed you'd look at an easy 4000lb payload. That's with the thinking that the dump bed is a good 1000-1200lbs. Check the body upfit sticker in the drivers door jamb area for GVWR and other details.

Considering you'll drive to a place loaded and come back empty I'd estimate mileage depending on any highway speed, at 14mpg overall.

I couldn't tell you what it's worth, you'd have to check out the market in your area or local Auto Trader to find trucks of similar year, mileage and upfit to compare it to.

I'm not positive on this, but I believe the max trailer weight with conventional towing is 12,500lbs on the HD trucks. Newer ones are up around the 15K mark due to increase in frame strength. However, it could be possible.

With average moisture content a cubic yard of mulch is only 600-800lbs. After a rain, well, that can go up to about 1000lbs. With your setup you should be able to squeeze in 2.5-3 cubic yards without having to worry about product blowing out.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks 360.

The dealer says I should be able to haul 3 tons and it has 4 ft steel diamond sides and a pull over tarp - So I should be able to get in 8 yards of mulch?? 63 sq ft x 4 ft sides = 252 cu ft/27 cuft (sq yard) = 9 cu yard But @ 800 lbs a yard this would be over weight so 8 yards. Is this correct?

Anyways they say the legal load pull limit is around 12,000 pounds but it would easily pull 20,000 - LOL would never need more than the 12K would be great for me as the truck I'm using new is rated at 5K pull load - only have a 6 cyl. So I'm for sure getting this truck should be great for our business!

Any other inputs here would be appreciated
Old 01-07-2011, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot James View Post
Thanks 360.

The dealer says I should be able to haul 3 tons and it has 4 ft steel diamond sides and a pull over tarp - So I should be able to get in 8 yards of mulch?? 63 sq ft x 4 ft sides = 252 cu ft/27 cuft (sq yard) = 9 cu yard But @ 800 lbs a yard this would be over weight so 8 yards. Is this correct?

Anyways they say the legal load pull limit is around 12,000 pounds but it would easily pull 20,000 - LOL would never need more than the 12K would be great for me as the truck I'm using new is rated at 5K pull load - only have a 6 cyl. So I'm for sure getting this truck should be great for our business!

Any other inputs here would be appreciated
You might be able to squeeze in 8 yards. Just don't go to high unless you plan to drive through the city to minimize product blow out. If you take the box off and put a 5th wheel hitch, you can tow close to 20K. Conventional towing at 12K sounds right with pintle hook.

If you stay in town for mulch transport the DOT shouldn't cause you problems if you run overweight, as they won't know unless you get called to scale the vehicle; generally found on interstates.

If you deliver topsoil and such, then you'd be at capacity around 2 yards depending on moisture content (if it's mud, perhaps 1 yard!), as topsoil can easily be 2000lbs a yard. I can't imagine any light commercial or residential clients for that matter needing more than 8 yards of mulch, so it should be a good buy for the long term.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
With your setup you should be able to squeeze in 2.5-3 cubic yards without having to worry about product blowing out.
i built wood sides for my 2500HD and i can haul 5 yds of mulch in it
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 01-07-2011, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use my 4x8 utility trailer with 2.5' high sides for mulch. It holds 2 cubic yards of mulch with a tarp over top. Some days I find myself wanting for a larger capacity, but for now, it works.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Your legal payload will be 3500lbs, a regular 1 ton dump doesn't have that much payload, your empty weight probably is around 8800lbs you may be a little less.

A 1 ton truck runs out of braking power the biggest problem with them.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Your legal payload will be 3500lbs, a regular 1 ton dump doesn't have that much payload, your empty weight probably is around 8800lbs you may be a little less.

A 1 ton truck runs out of braking power the biggest problem with them.
Legal? If the truck is GVW say 20,000 lbs cause it for sure can pull that and the dealer says it hauls 3 tons (6,000 lbs) this is still well under the 20,000 lbs + (if possible) plate I will have? I should be well under - legal. Keep in mind this truck has dully's
Old 01-07-2011, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot James View Post
Legal? If the truck is GVW say 20,000 lbs cause it for sure can pull that and the dealer says it hauls 3 tons (6,000 lbs) this is still well under the 20,000 lbs + (if possible) plate I will have? I should be well under - legal. Keep in mind this truck has dully's
You can gross 20,000lbs pulling a trailer that is the weight of truck and trailer there is no way you can gross the truck itself to 20,000lbs there won't be much left of the tires

A regular 1 ton with 3 tons on it is maxed out you don't want to put anymore weight on it.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
You can gross 20,000lbs pulling a trailer that is the weight of truck and trailer there is no way you can gross the truck itself to 20,000lbs there won't be much left of the tires

A regular 1 ton with 3 tons on it is maxed out you don't want to put anymore weight on it.
I'm not going to put 3 tons on it AND pull 20,000 lbs - either/or. I'm saying I can put 3 tons on the dump part or pull LOTS of weight. I would stick with the guidelines which I'm sure are in the carry 3 tons on the dump range OR pull 12,000 lbs range - one or the other - noth both combined.

Input appreciated here.
The only reason I mentioned the 20,000 lbs pulling weight is cause the dealer said he knows for a fact this truck - CAN DO IT. This does not make it legal, but it can do it if needed. Does that/this make sense?

Need to know - this is why I have this thread going - looking for input.