Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2011, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First product to buy starting out

I registered today for state of IL pesticide certification classes. I am a very small company at the moment and wanted to know on a very thin budget what would be the most important thing to buy. I have some hand sprayers I have used around my house to spray cracks of the driveway and sidewalk. I have a rural king spreader I used on my yard once cause I didnt get the cert last year. Im looking at the stihl backpack sprayer or an inexpensive walk behind spreader better than the rural king homeowner model.

I need to know what you guys would use the stihl sg20 for other than spraying im already doing.

Here is the other walk behind spreader im looking at The earthway 2050p
http://northerntool.digby.com/shops/web/northerntool?cmd=item&itemId=168477&vendorId=110

I know these are extremely cheap and way below what most would use but I need these to service 10-15 accounts till I get much bigger then will buy bigger better products
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2011, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

First Product??? An EDUCATION. This can be found at Local universities or even Trade or Vocational schools. If all else fails purchase on line distance learning from schools like Georgia Tech.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, I had been eyeing some classes at the community college I graduated at years ago with a compuyer degree. Their HORT110 sounded real good on turf grass
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2011, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the above. As far as equipment you can occasionally find used Lesco spreaders on Craigslist for $50-100. You can also get a Lesco backpack sprayer for around $80. Both will last a long time and will get the job done with better results. If you buy new a Spyker spreader would be nice, $300-500. Less likely to get clogged if you use a dusty product. If you continue to use homeowner grade equipment LCO's will not like you much.

Good luck wish you tons of growth!
Old 01-04-2011, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I called and spoke to my local college and they also have a course called integrated pest management that at the end gets you certified. He said there is a 99% pass rating on the test after taking class
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2011, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twcw5804 View Post
I called and spoke to my local college and they also have a course called integrated pest management that at the end gets you certified. He said there is a 99% pass rating on the test after taking class
Posted via Mobile Device
IPM is important for sure.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks you guys for your help. This all started about 6 months ago with a post I made about how to get certified in Illinois. The information that was provided to me was awesome and I have used it wisely. Now I'm trying to talk myself into slowing down and gradually changing things. I have had a bad offseason at my full time job. I told myself at the beginning of last year that 2012 was my year for going full time when we were debt free.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Buy the back pack sprayer. It will be adequate, but slow. When you have about 30 customers add a Lesco professional quality stainless steel spreader. (Or when your homeowner model breaks), (or spreads in green streaks). When you hit about 50 customers--you will want a 200 gal skid sprayer.Buy slightly used if you can handle the risk of problems.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 01-04-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-04-2011, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been fertilizing part time for 6 years (140 accounts). I still have my original Lesco spreader for spreading granular ferts. I use a 4 gallon Solo backpack sprayer for spot spraying weeds (I have never had a need for a skid sprayer). I have a 1 gallon sprayer for Round Up. Hand held leaf blower to clean off driveways and sidewalks after fertilizing.

Do a Google search for University of Illinois turfgrass and Purdue (Indiana) turfgrass. You will find loads of excellent info. Also, do lots of searches on Lawnsite.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been blowing up the search tool the last month in downtime at work. I have done searches on the Stihl SG20. I know it is used for pesticides, herbicides, and for spot spraying weeds in yards. The stupid question I guess I have is what all are guys using backpack sprayers for?