Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2011, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If You Were To Quit?

Been thinking about giving it up. Been doing it for 12 years. Don't need to do it but I enjoy it. But my knees and shoulders are starting to be a pain. Not bad but if I continue doing what I do they may cause trouble. Will be 59 in March.
Will not sell the accounts, would give them to who buys the equipment if local. Question is would you part or split the equipment when selling. Would rather sell complete. I have no junk and everything is serviced and stored in a heated shop. And the price would be right. Not saying I will do this just toying with the idea.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would sell the accounts for sure. You could probably get someone to buy all equipment and accounts if you ask a reasonable price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2011, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Its a business isn't it? Sell it as turn key business opportunity. I wouldn't split anything if your business has a good reputation, selling it shouldn't be a problem and may give you a nice retirement nest egg.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't need the nest egg. And if I quit, I would give someone a break to get started if local. Have a retirement and had really good jobs. Retired at age 48 then retired from another company at 55. If I quit and no local takes over will give the accounts away to some friends. Just thought it might be easier to sell a complete outfit and less hassle. Have to think about it. About wore my shoulder out shooting archery years ago and lifting things that we should not lift when younger didn't help my knees and lower back. Remember people saying you shouldn't do that, now paying for it.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did not see any equipment in your profile. surly you will need some on your on lawn. as for the aches i turned fifty in August and just had a knee replacement three weeks ago, and feel good for several more years. retired from my regular job in August with twenty-five years.
52" Great Dane Chariot 25HP Kohler
44" Toro Proline W/B 15HP Kohler Single Wheel Velke
22" John Deere JS36 7HP Briggs
Stihl BR380 BR600 MAG
Stihl FS110R Trimmer
Stihl FS90R Trimmer
Stihl HL100K Ext Hedger
Stihl HS80 180 deg 24" Hedger
Stihl FC75 Edger
Stihl MM55 Cultivator
Stihl 018C,036 Saws
Trimmer Trap Lock Downs
Peco Vac.System 6HP Kohler
Toro,Gator Rator & Classen Pluggers

Solo Operater
Old 01-09-2011, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Will keep what I need and doesn't make any difference to me what I keep. Everything is about the same to me, nothing better than the other. Thought I was in my prime around 45-50, buddy told me wait till you get to 60. Iam 59 and can still work my grandson and son in the ground. But its really stupid to work that way. Wife just gives me #$@% when I work like that. Going to Tenn. tomorrow to spend a few days and will talk it over with her on the way down. And the way the weather looks might be a long talk!!!!.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why sell it? Hire a guy to run your route for you and you can do the sales/paperwork side of it and that will be less physical and you can still have the perks of the income and the tax breaks.....JMO

Chad Clark
225-257-5566
chad@clarkunlimited.com
www.clarkunlimited.com
www.facebook.com/culawns
La. Licensed Landscape Horticulturist
La. Licensed Ornamental & Turf Pesticide Applicator
La. Licensed Irrigation Contractor
Old 01-09-2011, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Never wanted to be in that situation and wont. Don't want any headaches. And if I stay in business was only going to be for 3 more years anyway.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quitting???

I'm 56 and can still work circles around my 3 helpers. However, I do have the pain. Especially in the right knee and right hand so I have been changing the business model this last year. I became a licensed general contractor and now 60% of the business we conduct is around foreclosure remodels. We still maintain our residential and commercial maintenance accounts but in order for me to sleep at night w/o a lot of ibuprophen, I "manage" more. I may quit later but I still have a lot of fun.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess since you are sitting well financially it doesn't really matter how you break away from it. Wish I was in your shoes. Our job market here is about like Flint, Michigan. I did 4years military, 6 years as a service manager for a shop(left that because many reasons), now I do lawn maintenance and snow removal. Problem is that there are about 65,000 people in this area and when I started 4 years ago there were about 10 total LCOs and peopel were hiring out. Now there are about 30 LCOs and less people hiring out for work. I've tried to get jobs but I've been told numious times that I'm not really wanted as an employee because they are afraid that people who were/are self employed may not want to take orders from others since they have been their own boss for so long. I hate this crap, I have spent more time working for others than myself but since I currently work for myself I'm all the sudden not a potential prospect for hiring.