Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-05-2011, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyGuy View Post
What if you slide down a hill (very common with ZTRS, especially if they have huge cylinders mounted up high raising the center of gravity) and there is a brick wall at the bottom? Smash, spark, BOOM.
What if while the neighbor is calibrating the laser sight on his hunting rifle a bird craps in his eye causing him to jerk the weapon up resulting in the laser blinding the cockpit crew of a passing airline which then crashes into you while on your propane ZTR? Smash, spark, BOOM!

Just as possible as your “what if” and almost as probable. Seems to me that higher COG would make it more likely to rollover, not slide.

Also seems to me there are other much more probable things to worry about than these low probability, multiple failure, highly unlikely scenarios.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear View Post
What if while the neighbor is calibrating the laser sight on his hunting rifle a bird craps in his eye causing him to jerk the weapon up resulting in the laser blinding the cockpit crew of a passing airline which then crashes into you while on your propane ZTR? Smash, spark, BOOM!

Just as possible as your “what if” and almost as probable. Seems to me that higher COG would make it more likely to rollover, not slide.

Also seems to me there are other much more probable things to worry about than these low probability, multiple failure, highly unlikely scenarios.
You think it's unlikely to slide down a hill on a ZTR?

At least if gasoline starts to spill out I can see it and I know when it getting close to a heat source. I know it's the vapor that ignites, but still.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You think it's unlikely to slide down a hill on a ZTR?

At least if gasoline starts to spill out I can see it and I know when it getting close to a heat source. I know it's the vapor that ignites, but still.
No, I'm saying that the impact being great enough to puncture one or both tanks, and the spark occurring at just the right time and in close enough proximity to ignite the gas are, at best, highly unlikely, especially given average ZTR mowing speeds. It takes a pretty good hit and in just the right way to cause a breach in a propane tank. Hence, it's highly improbable to the point of being almost unrealistic.

I'm also saying that generally, a higher COG increases the possibility of a rollover. If you're seeing gas spilling out of your tanks, you're on too steep of an incline, and/or your tank caps are loose. Time to rethink how you operate your machine.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Years ago, I was driving a milk route in a gasoline powered truck, which had 55 gallon saddle tanks. About 4:00 AM I was driving about 60 mph down what used to be Route 66 on my way to my first stop when the straps holding the tank on the drivers side gave way, causing the tank to drop to the pavement and be dragged. Looked like one of those scenes you see in the movies with all the sparks. The tank was punctured, and gasolne went everywhere, but it never ignited. Now, I'm sure it is possible in certain conditions, it could have, but I'm just using this as an example of how rarely gas tanks actually catch on fire or explode.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's called LIQUID propane. And YES, you can smell it when it leaks.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear View Post
No, I'm saying that the impact being great enough to puncture one or both tanks, and the spark occurring at just the right time and in close enough proximity to ignite the gas are, at best, highly unlikely, especially given average ZTR mowing speeds. It takes a pretty good hit and in just the right way to cause a breach in a propane tank. Hence, it's highly improbable to the point of being almost unrealistic.

I'm also saying that generally, a higher COG increases the possibility of a rollover. If you're seeing gas spilling out of your tanks, you're on too steep of an incline, and/or your tank caps are loose. Time to rethink how you operate your machine.
Fair enough, but I will be steering clear of propane mowers for now.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Fair enough, but I will be steering clear of propane mowers for now.
Fair enough.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the "perceived" dangers aside. why would you want to power your mower with a source that is less efficient, 75-80% less power, and with a fuel that is not available on every street corner, and the containers to carry for spares are very very expensive...

yes I know the reason.. it was a rhetorical question. Propane is not a foreign source of fossil fuel..and its clean burning....
Old 01-05-2011, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
the "perceived" dangers aside. why would you want to power your mower with a source that is less efficient, 75-80% less power, and with a fuel that is not available on every street corner, and the containers to carry for spares are very very expensive...

yes I know the reason.. it was a rhetorical question. Propane is not a foreign source of fossil fuel..and its clean burning....
You might want to go recheck you 75-80 figure if you buy a true conversion kit the engine will preform the same on the mowers we have converted we noticed an increase in power and still getting 1 hr per gallon on 27 up kohl and about 40 min per gallon on 34 up Kawasaki, nice thing is on the Kawasaki we can run at half throttle and since propane burns clean no fear of carbon build up in head. Gas price 3.06 propane 2.25 you do the math on savings also half the oil changes
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2011, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc0207 View Post
You might want to go recheck you 75-80 figure if you buy a true conversion kit the engine will preform the same on the mowers we have converted we noticed an increase in power and still getting 1 hr per gallon on 27 up kohl and about 40 min per gallon on 34 up Kawasaki, nice thing is on the Kawasaki we can run at half throttle and since propane burns clean no fear of carbon build up in head. Gas price 3.06 propane 2.25 you do the math on savings also half the oil changes
Posted via Mobile Device
But I think another big issue with propane as the fuel is its availability. In my area I can only think of two places that have propane. And they are on one side of town about 3 miles from each other, so it'd be great if I just worked in that area of town. They also aren't open but during normal business hours and only until noon on Saturday. So at the end of the day if I'd need to fill up or if I would need to fill up on the weekend, I would be pretty much screwed.

I can fill up at gas stations at 6 in the morning or at 9 at night any day of the week.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds