Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-17-2010, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

better grandstand

would love to see a grandstand made for the tn hills. need 16 cc pumps, wider tires, remote air cleaner ( muffler located in fron of standard air filter very bad idea for a air cooled engin) some hills we do is very hard on the small 10cc pumps. but it will hold most any hill your brave enough to try.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are the TN hills any different than say a hill in VA?
Old 08-14-2010, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like you need a Wright Stander ZK. It's the only stander out there with 16cc pumps. It is head and shoulders above all the other stand on mowers including Wright's regular stander for heavy service. Of course I'm probably partial because I have one. But it is a really nice machine.

I have to say there are a lot of things I like about the grand stand too.

PS I forgot to mention the ZK is also the only stand on mower with the WIDE 24x12x12 tires. Of course wider tires does mean you have to be more carefull not to tear.

Last edited by Toro 44; 08-14-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree that the main upgrade the grandstand needs is bigger hydro pumps, for speed and handling on hills...i am thinking about buying new equipment again in a year or two and would rather buy a grandstand if they did this one upgrade, but the zk is definitely in the running, same dealer too...
Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

and once again, a floating deck would be nice too
Old 08-18-2010, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

...and anybody familiar with my posts knows that i would ask for the reverse controls of the toro grandstand to be improved, mine, at least, currently are anemic and uneven in motion. if this is an exception to all the grandstands out there then it should be repairable, since it hasn't been repaired yet i assume and will operate under the assumption that toro cannot change this unsatisfactory condition.
toro44, does your wright perform this way? does your machine tend to travel incircles in reverse due to uneven pump/motor/lever action?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Mystery Man,

I have read your posts about the reverse issues, and i think the answer is no.

The ZK tracks pretty true forward and reverse. While there is always a need to tweak side to side to keep going in a straight line, due to ground undulation and a little play in the controls, there is definitely equal power to both wheels in both directions.

The ZK uses a series of ball joints and levers where Toro is using cables. Wright used to use cables. I feel both systems have benefits and draw backs. As all those ball joints wear in, it adds up to a bit of slop in the controls (after over 500 hours). But then again, I feel it is holding up pretty well given the number of moving/wearing parts in the linkage system.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, I meant equal power in both wheels from side to side. Reverse is about half the speed of forward. but whether you are goiing forward or backward, the power to both wheels is balanced.

You do have to make adjustements to keep going in a straight line due to ground undulation and control play. I'm not sure if what you are experiencing with you GS falls into this category or if you there is soomething more serious. If you are accustomed to pistol grip controls and not used to the "push to go" type controls, this might account for what you are experiencing.

Hope you get it worked out.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

TORO44, thank you for your responses. My issue goes beyond manipulating the levers to account for uneven ground, and I do recognize that the speed is reduced in reverse. In my case, I can be on relatively flat pavement or lawn and there's a noticeable difference between the left and right sides in reverse, it takes a LOT of lever manipulation of the left lever to track in a somewhat straight line. It is as if the right lever (in reverse only) is 'dead'. If you are familiar with gear/belt drive walk-behinds, the reverse is (on my old Encore) an assist rather than a full-fledged positive reverse drive. This is the same experience I get with the Grandstand in reverse, the right lever barely moves the machine. It becomes an exercise in backing-up with the left wheel, then catching up with the right wheel, this entire process of backing up is in steps. I cannot believe that Toro designed it this way, yet it hasn't been resolved as of yet.
Between what you stated about your Wright and the fact that the Grandstand does not perform well as a walk-behind I am sorry that I did not go with my first choice of the Wright. The walk-behind feature of the Grandstand would have been perfect for my application had it worked well, but as it is, I am using the grandstand as a stand-on only. With Toro not shipping mowers this spring I bypassed the demo stage and bought based on published marketing 'facts', that was a mistake. Thanks again for your input.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't right off the toro just yet. It sounds like there is a repairable issue. In the back of my mind, i wish toro had come out with the GS sooner, i might have bought it instead. Seems like the grass is always greener on the other side.

Can you look at your machine when it's not running and verify that the linkage on the side of your pumps is moving equal amounts on the right and on the left? If it is, you might have a pump problem and a pressure test might show it up.

I know how it is when you know there is a problem but the dealer says its fine. It is extremely frustrating. Warranties have limited value.

How many hours are on your machine? What size and HP? I have read your threads but cannot recall what you have.