Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-07-2011, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Adding Hundreds of Residential Accounts

Have any of you added over 100 residential accounts in a year? I am talking about mowing here but I guess the same principle would apply to the chem side of the business.

How did you do it? What advertising methods did you use? Could you do it again in this economy? Why or why not?

Last, but not least, what pitfalls or problems did you encounter and how would you avoid those things in the future?

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 01-07-2011, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I remember the year you tried this....what was it...5 or 6 years ago? Then again, maybe you have tried this more that once. I have been away from lawnsite for about 5 or 6 years.

I personally would not be able to grow at this rate. I don't think I could keep up with my current schedule, give estimates, hire help, bookeeping, payroll and what ever else. I would like to pick up 30 a year for the next 5 years. I am sure you are set up to grow at this rate or you would have not tried it before. I like threads this. Shows people assertiveness.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 01-07-2011, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

....I did it back in 07 and got about 100. PM me and I'll let you know the results.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I did more tha n that last year on the chemical side. I contacted most the comanies I know that do fertilizer as a convenience and not as there bread and butter. I offered either a referal program or to sub contract for them. most the guys just contacted their customers and said they were no longer ferting and that they strongly recomend me, a couple did but i have to pay them a percentage monthly. Then a couple sub me, I bill the landscaer and he bills the customers what ever he wants. Im planning on growing even more this year. I'm budgetting and planning two different 10,000 postcard mailings for early spring
Old 01-07-2011, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You better have a mind of steel because that's what it will take not to go crazy. Be VERY careful if you choose to do this. You could run your company into the ground in a hurry. Cash flow problems, routing issues, what if it rains, customer service, call backs and etc. Remember its not about volume as much as getting high quality clients who pay for high quality service.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLI View Post
....I did it back in 07 and got about 100. PM me and I'll let you know the results.
I would love to know the results and how you did it. I don't mow, I service swimming pools, but there are many similarities.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The major companies do it everyyear, especially the chemical companies like tru green.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Marketting marketting marketting thats the first big step. I had budgetted 5k for early spring marketting, but fortunetly I hit a good scratch ticket this winter so i'm throwing that right into my marketting and really hitting it hard this spring
Old 01-08-2011, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of marketing are you doing? What sort of rate of return do you expect?

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 01-10-2011, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

PTP - I'm wondering why you have the change of heart? I followed the nearly year-long thread when you attempted this several years ago. I thought that your conclusion was that, even if it were achievable, it would negatively effect the operations of the company and that there were easier ways to make money. Seems like you thought it was more effective to run a smaller operation.