Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2011, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Credit Card Payments

What are your thoughts on accepting credit cards for mow payments?

Has anyone experienced an increase in business or speed of payment by offering credit cards as a means of payment??

Thanks
Old 01-08-2011, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i've never had anyone offer to pay that way..most pay cash or with a check...i have heard some people set up an online payment thing but that really doesn't work with older people which around here is the biggest customer base....i guess it depends on who your customers are
Old 01-08-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just signed up for the service. I will see how it works. I'm thinking it will help mostly for landscape, tree, sprinkler, stone, and fencing because those are some things people don't always have enough cash to pay for outright due to the high price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2011, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There's this thing called square that I have been thinking about getting for my lawn service. It's this little dongle that you plug into your smartphone along with an app that lets you run the transaction.

squareup.com
Old 01-09-2011, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use Paypal. The customers know and trust the name. I never have to touch their card or see their personal information. I can email them a paypal invoice. Paypal transfers to my checking account with 24hrs. There is a small fee but it is no more than any other processing agency. About 25% of my customers use it now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2011, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I use Paypal. The customers know and trust the name. I never have to touch their card or see their personal information. I can email them a paypal invoice. Paypal transfers to my checking account with 24hrs. There is a small fee but it is no more than any other processing agency. About 25% of my customers use it now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed. Not using the incoice method yet, just the free one. Will try that when I get more customers. But EVERYBODY knows & trusts paypal.

What???? No leaf clean ups??? Still in the recliner?
Old 01-09-2011, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
Agreed. Not using the incoice method yet, just the free one. Will try that when I get more customers. But EVERYBODY knows & trusts paypal.

What???? No leaf clean ups??? Still in the recliner?
I did my own yesterday that my wonderful neighbors gifted me with. Venison sausage and cheese omelet on the gas griddle right now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2011, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so breakfast at your house?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use paypal. Customers can pay online, some have me email them their invoice and i include a link. If I have a customers email I email them a link if they are pastdue at all. I do have some older customers who aren't into the internet. There is a spot on the return portion of the invoice were they select payment type, if they select credit card they can simly right it in the space provided then I can enter it online myself when I am doing my AP/AR. Can also take it over the phone as well. Alot of peole are under the assumption that with pay pal the customer must pay online but no, you can eneter it to
Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoat View Post
There's this thing called square that I have been thinking about getting for my lawn service. It's this little dongle that you plug into your smartphone along with an app that lets you run the transaction.

squareup.com

I use this and it works great.The down fall for now is you can only withdraw $1001 per week.The rest is held for up to 30 to insure there is no fraud.The good thing is any payments made to you are deposited nightly into your account.This is not a merchants account.It is more like mobile paypal.It charges $.15 and 2.75% per transaction which is not bad.