Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-29-2002, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

!/2 ton upgrade, I goofed!!!!

Hi All,
I'm new but I love this site. I was wondering if any of you know of a suspension upgrade you can get for a 2001 Chevy 1/2 ton. I bought it last year in a rush and wish I had gotten a 3/4 ton HD. Live and learn!!! I use my 1/2 ton to plow and tow my 12 ft open trailer with a Walker 20 HP 48 GHS, a Troy Bilt 33" wide cut, trimmers, blowers etc. The truck pulls and plows pretty good but I hear we are in for a nasty winter. I will also be hauling more mulch, loam etc. next summer.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

About the only thing you can do to keep the rear end from sagging is a set of air bags. Air Lift Super Duty bags are what we have. They work well for us. I have a set on my 1/2 ton GMC. Supposedly they add an additional 5000 lbs to the GVW of your truck. That being said I wouldn't go throw an additional 5000 lbs. of stuff in the bed to try 'em out!

"Helping out Mother Earth, one lawn at a time."
Old 08-29-2002, 11:58 PM

macsspring.com

$235 US for air bags. Another route you could go is to get more leafs from a junk yard and put them in your spring pack.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Member

You can always go to a set of Timbrens they are a rubber spring that goes between the frame and the rear axle, they are less maintanance compared to air bags.

You gotta remember you only got a 1/2 ton truck and its a light truck the rear axle isn't designed to pack heavyloads a beefed up suspension just helps with keeping the truck level. I used to own a 79 F-150 4x4 and I made the rear suspension into a 3/4 ton and ended up bending the rear axle and burning up wheelbearings from packing too heavy loads.
Old 08-30-2002, 08:36 AM

Very good point Gravel. I thought of that too, but was too tired last night to type all of that.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

When I had my K1500 , I added leaf spring helpers. They we easy to install. They were rated at 2500lbs. I got them from Dick Cepek (sp). Can't remember the price, but they worked. I upgraded my truck to a 02' 2500HD Duramax CC.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 08-30-2002, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info guys!!! I have called a few places about adding leaf springs to the rear-end, that might be the route I should go.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I installed a set of overload springs on my truck and they work great, They are a set of leaf springs that bolt on top of your stock leaf springs and they attach at each end using U bolts, so when your springs start to sag at the ends the weight is distributed to the springs. They are made by Hellwig. You can do a search on the net and find their site. I got the brackets and springs for about $200.00. I put them on my Z-71 in about three hours by myself and i had never seem them installed before. If i did it again it wouldn't take near as long. It was a lot of trial and error. The only problem that i had was that they were so dang heavy. They work great though and the amount of weight that you want them to abosorb is adjustable by just tightening down on the U bolts on either end of the springs. They also do not affect the ride of your truck when you are un-loaded which is so nice.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: The Hottest driest city next to Hades - Denver Colorado
I also put on a set of the hellwig helper springs, much better control when loaded. (F150 4X4) Not too tough a job with a floor jack.
Got them at www.jcwhitney.com
Old 08-31-2002, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

add tranny cooler if you dont have one.

Sir Winston Churchill