Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2002, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I was stunned at what I thought I was seeing at first with the front axle. I literally crawled underneath with a pencil and wrote down numbers to compare. They're the same!!!
Old 09-02-2002, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

my buddy got a 450 a year and half ago and he did his home work and found that the 450 and 550 are basically the same the only difference is that the 550 has one more leaf spring in the rear.Now that is what he told me he wrote down parts numbers and all that .So he said why get the 550 and pay more while the 450 did what he needed. only carries just a little less but you can always put in a leaf .May not be legal but as far as spec to spec it works.
Old 09-02-2002, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

The benefit of the 550 is that rear axle with the 13.5" ring gear in it you would be hard pressed to bend(axle) that sucker with a load. I have used a 550 a couple times and these trucks are good but they handle and ride like a MDT it rides smoother than my F-Superduty (450) but it sure doesn't handle like my F-Superduty. These trucks are heavy I really had to put my foot into it to get the sucker moving but I blame most of it on the rotten automatic tranny the PSD has enough power.

I wish a 450 or 550 would fill my needs but they won't just don't carry enough weight
Old 09-02-2002, 11:19 AM

Go with a F 650 Super Crewzer. That would handle a lot of weight and give you a plush ride. Leather seats, push button automatic.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
May not be legal but as far as spec to spec it works
Herein lies the problem. Although the trucks appear identical, all DOT is concerned with is the tag on the door post. I guess what we're paying for is the ability to haul a liitle more payload legally.
Old 09-02-2002, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Pelican, Brickman. I built an F250 and F350 the way I want it on the autobytel.com site and the price difference was only about $400. I went to the dealer yesterday and they had an F250 and F350 sitting side by side and the only difference I saw was that the 350 sat up higher. Not being a mechanic, I crawled under each one to see if I could see a difference and I couldn't.

Based on your responses and the fact that the price dif is minimal, I think I'll go with the 350 V10 4.3 axle. You guys have been a great help!!

Thanks

Hoopsfan
Old 09-02-2002, 02:26 PM

The V 10 is a great engine, but I think in the long run you would be happier with a PS and 3.73 rears. What ever you go with I know you will like your new truck. I have had mine now for 2 years ( man time flies when you don't have a clue ) I bought it Friday before Labor Day 2000. It now has 112K miles and runs just as good as it did with 18 miles on it when I drove it off the lot.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I wanted the PS but I'm getting a Crew Cab and want to hang a plow on it. I've been told that nobody will hang a plow on the Crew Cab because of the weight.

You're right though, this will be my first Ford and I think I'll be very happy with it. I'm going to order it sometime in the next 2 weeks (I hope). It will be hard waiting for it to come in!

Hoopsfan
Old 09-02-2002, 04:22 PM

Because of the fact that the same front axle is used in the F 250 thru F 550 I would not be scared to hand a plow on a truck with the PS. If you can't get some body to do it for you, do it your self. I have overloaded every pickup I have owned and gotten away with it. I don't think it is the best thing to do, but some times you have no choice. Any idea what the weight difference with a V 10 or the PS? I can't imagine it would be more than 500 lbs. But I could be wrong. A good way to tell is go to your Ford dealer and find out what the shipping weight is for a V 10 and the PS. Make sure both trucks are as close to same as possible.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

so basicly the answer to the question is.... none of you know

J & D PROPERTY MAINTENANCE