Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-02-2002, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If the frames and drivetrains are the same as some can attest then the only difference could be in suspension. Right??? Well the weight rating does make a difference legally.

Now if all is the same and one can mount a plow on a 450/550 with a PSD in any frame length then why not be able to mount one on the Crew Cab or extended cab 250/350? The front suspension, steering and drivetrain are not a concern IMO. I don't think the frame will bend either. Not sure why you are told not to by some dealers and others specs plow package with an extended cab PSD like the one I hung a Fisher on. I do know that they handle the plow without a problem.

I would by the PSD mount the plow and not worry about it. If something drastic was to fail (this would surprise me) buzz the plow mount off and take the truck in. A The dealer would never know. My dealer did not even care. He would do work on my truck with the plow on and Ford would warranty it. Again you need to find a truck dealer not a car dealer with a few trucks on the lot.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mow&Snow
so basicly the answer to the question is.... none of you know

Your point is?????
Old 09-03-2002, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

CTFireman's right. The only place you should have any concern about this is with your dealer in warrantying repairs, and with the DOT in being over your axle weight. It's very rare for a front axle to fail unless it's been run with no oil, and I've yet to see a DOT man willing to crawl under a dripping truck in a storm.

The components will handle the load, get whichever engine works best for you.

I'm getting dizzy chasing all these threads!
Old 09-03-2002, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pelican

I'm getting dizzy chasing all these threads!

Pelican I am just starting to have fun. I have had little better to do today (Labor Day) than to post on LS.

Oh wait, sleep, watch an adult movie, sleep, watch other movies, sleep, put a winch on my car hauler, mount some lights for night loading and unloading, try to put air helper springs on my truck, that didn't work at all because of the bolt in goose neck hitch. And now it is sleep time again.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the advice. I think I have all the info I need to order the truck that will suit my needs. I've been a GMC guy for 30yrs, this will be my first Ford, I'm looking forward to getting the new truck.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Well get ready to smile....

cause thats all you're gonna be doing, going from a GMC to a Ford truck.

And I'll put in one more vote for the diesel, if you want to pull anything, go PSD. I have one in my dump, and I take it out for a ride every Sunday just cause I can't get enough of that deep purr and turbo swirl.