Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-12-2011, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kids

Dose anyone else think it is odd that these fourteen to sixteen year old have all new equipment and new trucks? maybe i am doing something wrong.
52" Great Dane Chariot 25HP Kohler
44" Toro Proline W/B 15HP Kohler Single Wheel Velke
22" John Deere JS36 7HP Briggs
Stihl BR380 BR600 MAG
Stihl FS110R Trimmer
Stihl FS90R Trimmer
Stihl HL100K Ext Hedger
Stihl HS80 180 deg 24" Hedger
Stihl FC75 Edger
Stihl MM55 Cultivator
Stihl 018C,036 Saws
Trimmer Trap Lock Downs
Peco Vac.System 6HP Kohler
Toro,Gator Rator & Classen Pluggers

Solo Operater
Old 01-12-2011, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you should try getting one of those kids parents to adopt you that may help the situation.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

its because if they have 20 lawns, there making bank because they have no bills to pay or anything so they can spend all there money on new mowers and what not.
Gravely 34z w/ bagger
Toro Commercial 21"
Redmax EBZ-7500
Redmax 3060 TS
Stihl BR 600 Magnum
Stihl FS-110 R (2)
Mclane edger

-Full time student
-19 years old.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That's what I did, when I still lived at home I bought a bunch of equipment since I had nothing else to spend money on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2011, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

that's what's wrong with kids these days, rich parents go out and buy their 16 y o kids $50k trucks,! and when they tear them up, Daddy will pay to fix it! They need to teach their kids the value of a dollar!........just sayin!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So true, Most likely they have not found a steady girl friend. A women can change a lot of equipment needs.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is absolutely amazing to me what some kids have these days. I'm not that old now, but when I was in high school and buying my first truck, I paid $2200. When I bought my first ztr at 16, I spent $5000 on a used one and that was a lot of money to me, so I had saved up for that for a while.

Now, I look at some of my friends and their parents bought them cars. I have one friend (known him since I was in elementary school) who had his license for maybe a month or so when he turned 16, then got in a head-on accident (his fault). He was driving a '95-ish ford explorer, crossed the center line and hit head-on into a hummer. Ended up having surgery. Well, long story short...after he was healed up his parents bought him a 1 or 2 year old 2005 ford expedition, pretty loaded too.

My mom works at my old high school, so anytime I stop over there I take notice of what is parked in the parking lot. I was amazed. There were newer chevy tahoe's, lincoln navigators, a hummer, bmw's, a couple mercades, etc. Now, not all were these high end cars, but there were quite a few.

I don't think that some of these kids know the real value of a dollar. Heck, some of these kids probably won't have a job until they are half way through college.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 01-12-2011, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Reminds me of what I keep telling my kids:

LIFE IS NOT ALWAYS FAIR.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

im freshly out of college, during highschool all my of friends parents had bought them brand new trucks and paid for everything that they wanted, now that we are out of school they all look at me with my new truck and steady cash flow and ask me how i managed to get it all... No **** sherlock, when you were driving around in your new car i was out making my own money, now that your out of school and you dont have mommy and daddy to pay for everything life tends to become a little more challenging. maybe you should look at all of us in the real world and take some notes.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the same thing, I wonder sometime if I'm doing something wrong also. Now I am only 19 but i mean D@mn, 16 year old with brand new trucks and some diesels at that! Now I am the first to say that my truck was originally my fathers and it is now mine but its a 97, however eventho it was "given" to me i treat it like i bought it and i value it like I will never get another. And as for mowers, dad when I first started he helped when i bought my rider which was was 5000. I had 3500 he added 700 and then put 800 on his credit card and I paid the credit card portion off in a month or 2 (paid him weekly) and my big trailer he bought as part of my birthday when i turned 16. but beyond that I have paid for it, odds and ends he pays for as he is my partner so he wants to feel he is putting in but its voluntary i dont ask. We as kids dont learn anything by having everything given to us, although we do like "gifts" every now and then. But however I do agree that when others come up and ask how do you "own your own company" or "how can i make money like you"............ get out and work, it doesnt come over night, took me 7 years to get where i am today

22 Years Old
10 Years in Business

-Commercial/ Residential
-Full Service.. Lawn Care, Landscaping, Estate Care, Snow & Ice Management

http://www.facebook.com/MMDLC

As of Dec. 2013 College is over and I'm full time!