Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2011, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC-GregH View Post
I can split a cord of wood on a tank of fuel (a quart maybe) with my splitter. Not sure where you get 3 gallons to split a cord.

Mix and bar oil to cover warranty? Where'd you hear that? BS

2 gallons of gas for 2 saws? Again, I can cut a whole tree (40-50ft tall, 20-30in diameter) on a tank or maybe 2 tanks of fuel with one saw. Last tree I cut down took me and a friend about an hour to cut it up and start hauling to our storage area about 5 miles away. 3 trips and it's all at our storage ready to start splitting.
Texarkana Tractor is my sthil dealer- and that is where the BS is coming from lol Warranty ran out so no worries there.

The trees I get is the WHOLE tree- you can jus cut the trunk and leave the top just laying around. Plus customers around here like the "little round peices" a lot. So as your cutting the top and cleaning up at the same time, thats a lot of work and sawing- therefor the fuel consumption. Plus I split all my wood where I cut the tree. I tried loading it and slitting and stacking it somwhere else but think about this. You cut it and split and deliver/stack the wood. Your touching each peice- 2-3 times. If your taking it somewhere else to split/stack. Your touching each peice 4-5 times... Jus saying its a little more work. And if you deliver your stacking it back ok the trailer and then stacking it at its destination. So 6-7 times its getting handled... Now if your not delivering then you get the right Idea! PLus the splitter I have is a 10hp honda- it drinks the fuel
Old 01-15-2011, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just checked Craigslist for this area. Cords of seasoned oak are selling between $100 and $150 per cord, delivered.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
Just checked Craigslist for this area. Cords of seasoned oak are selling between $100 and $150 per cord, delivered.
Around texarkana ar/tx area its $130-160 delivered
Old 01-15-2011, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

$500 for a decent saw, $1000 for a decent splitter, wear and tear on that equipment, truck, trailer (if used), fuel, oil, labor....... I don't know. I just can't add it up and make it profitable enough to make me want to pursue it. I already have a good saw, and I cut some wood for my own use. Like I said, I enjoy doing it, but I only do it at my leisure, not all the time. If profits were higher, maybe. But it's a lot of work for that kind of money if you ask me. And I'm not even sure if a rick will bring the kind of money around here that some of you guys are getting. I have access to plenty of dead trees to cut, but I don't wanna bust my tail all day for a $50 profit after expenses.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2011, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Walker, you mean 22 TON right?

I have a 27 ton. It will bust right through a big knot and ask for more. We call the bad ones ugly sisters. LOL The ones you can't touch with a splitting maul.

I've considered welding another cutting edge horizontal to the vertical edge which will split into 4 pieces versus 2 pieces. I'm hesitating because I don't want to have to remove it if it doesn't work well.
Yes, I meant TON. Also, they make the 4-way wedges that just slip on top of your existing 2-way wedge, but don't know how they work.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 01-15-2011, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroddy View Post
Texarkana Tractor is my sthil dealer- and that is where the BS is coming from lol Warranty ran out so no worries there.

The trees I get is the WHOLE tree- you can jus cut the trunk and leave the top just laying around. Plus customers around here like the "little round peices" a lot. So as your cutting the top and cleaning up at the same time, thats a lot of work and sawing- therefor the fuel consumption. Plus I split all my wood where I cut the tree. I tried loading it and slitting and stacking it somwhere else but think about this. You cut it and split and deliver/stack the wood. Your touching each peice- 2-3 times. If your taking it somewhere else to split/stack. Your touching each peice 4-5 times... Jus saying its a little more work. And if you deliver your stacking it back ok the trailer and then stacking it at its destination. So 6-7 times its getting handled... Now if your not delivering then you get the right Idea! PLus the splitter I have is a 10hp honda- it drinks the fuel
I take EVERYTHING, including all the smaller stuff. You'd only handle it 3-4 times through the process. Loading the cut pieces, dump and split then throw on pile, load and then unload at customers house. I just throw the wood on the trailer. I already know how much needs to be on the trailer thrown loose so no need to waste the time stacking it on the trailer. I don't stack the wood unless they want it stacked. I charge $160 delivered or $190 delivered/stacked. All nice red and white oak. I love the smell when the garage is loaded with a fresh batch.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a pic of when we got started earlier this year. The pile in the back is 2 trees after splitting and one laying ready to split.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Here's a pic of when we got started earlier this year. The pile in the back is 2 trees after splitting and one laying ready to split.

I likes it! What type of splitter do you have?
RedMax Trimmer
RedMax Hedge Trimmers
5x8 tilt trailer
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missis...e/151402474671
Old 01-15-2011, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What do you guys get for cedar kindling?
Also do you guys bust into any small pieces and sell for kindling?
RedMax Trimmer
RedMax Hedge Trimmers
5x8 tilt trailer
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missis...e/151402474671
Old 01-15-2011, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's got a Cub Cadet sticker on it that I'm not exactly proud of but hey...... Troy Built make the exact same thing. I paid $1300 for it new.