Register free!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Licensing required?

Texas operators - is licensing required to put out fertilizer for residential customers? What if it's weed and feed? Does it then fall under the Tx Dept of Ag's pesticide licensing program?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

All herbicides, insecticides, control products and pesticides of any kind require a liscense. That is actually Federal law, and the law forces the states to administer it. So yes, if it kills weeds or prevents crabgrass...license required. Unless it is on your own property.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for clearing that up Riggle.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If its not a restricted chemical you shouldn't need a license. You should have one if your spraying chemicals but for granulated I don't think it required.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpro724 View Post
If its not a restricted chemical you shouldn't need a license. You should have one if your spraying chemicals but for granulated I don't think it required.
"The facts, ma'am, just the facts." Joe Friday

State law requires anyone in Illinois applying general-use and restricted-use pesticides in the course of employment be licensed. Persons applying restricted-use pesticides on property they own or control must have a private applicator license. Persons applying general-use pesticides on their own property are exempt from licensing requirements.

It is a responsibility of the Illinois Department of Agriculture to license people applying pesticides outdoors and in agricultural production. The University of Illinois Cooperative Extension Service provides training and study materials

http://www.agr.state.il.us/Environme.../commappl.html

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-13-2011, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
"The facts, ma'am, just the facts." Joe Friday

State law requires anyone in Illinois applying general-use and restricted-use pesticides in the course of employment be licensed. Persons applying restricted-use pesticides on property they own or control must have a private applicator license. Persons applying general-use pesticides on their own property are exempt from licensing requirements.

It is a responsibility of the Illinois Department of Agriculture to license people applying pesticides outdoors and in agricultural production. The University of Illinois Cooperative Extension Service provides training and study materials

http://www.agr.state.il.us/Environme.../commappl.html
Ha Ha I know the law. My mistake, I thought he was talking about his lawn. The license he will want then will be a commercial applicators license.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Ha Ha I know the law. My mistake, I thought he was talking about his lawn. The license he will want then will be a commercial applicators license.
Yea, I thought you did. My post was really meant for others who don't know the law.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-13-2011, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
In Tennessee the law is written in such a way that stipulates if you are applying "any chemical for commercial purposes" then you need a license !! This specifically specifies if you are a lawn care maintenance operator who "bundles this service" along with any other type of service for which you are paid ... best thing would be to get a license.
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 01-14-2011, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcroket View Post
Texas operators - is licensing required to put out fertilizer for residential customers? What if it's weed and feed? Does it then fall under the Tx Dept of Ag's pesticide licensing program?
Maybe this will clear up your question http://www.agr.state.tx.us/agr/main_...channelId=5396

Straight Fert you are safe, anything else you need a license