Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2011, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Efficient workflow for this site

Looking for help from you guys that have some expertice in efficient commercial mowing workflow.

This is a unique site in that we are required to bag everything and the largest equipment allowed within 75' of the building is a 21" Hi Vac. The facility director is adamant about crisp edges (no string edging).

Going to be hitting this site with 21" Hi Vac's, 48" Walker MT's and hand equipment.

My question is with a 3 man crew, how would you organize the workflow from start to finish in order to optimize efficiency of movement? Where would you stage? Direction of movement for each operation. Suggestions on handling clippings - bulk bags, tarps, return to trailer, etc?

Keep in mind we are required to vac up all of the debris from edging. Edge Blow Mow Blow???

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2011, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That place looks like a major PITA to mow, 21s, bagging everything and all those little grass islands…..I hope you are charging a lot!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

need more info

where do you enter with your truck--what direction are you coming from
are you working more than one truck on this account
is the parking lot empty when you perform the work--what is the facility a church, school, plant, office, headquarters etc
what is the scale on the image

pm me with details
Old 01-13-2011, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, charge a lot!
can't believe the guy has such high standards on a place that looks like absolute crap from up in the the sky.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 01-13-2011, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Id have to agree sharp edges with dead spots all over doesn't work to well, like the saying goes you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Site Specifics

Thanks for looking at it.

The grass condition is much improved since Google snapped this shot. The facility is less than 3 years old and this photo was taken shortly after constuction was complete. I did alright on pricing, I know the incumbent and what he was putting into it.

This is a hospital on a little under 30 acres.

"That place looks like a major PITA to mow, 21s, bagging everything and all those little grass islands…..I hope you are charging a lot!"

If it were a piece of cake, I wouldn't be looking for input but due to the amount of hand work, efficiency of motion is going to be a big deal.

The main entrance is at the bottom of the photograph. We have about an hour in the morning without cars, and as much we need in the evening.
Attached Images

2x Walker MT GHS 48"
2x Ferris Hi Vac
4x Stihl BR600
3x Stihl FS100RX
1x Stihl FS130R
2x Stihl FC 90
Old 01-13-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Depends on the size of the crew. I would either get there as early as possible to start and use that hour. Get atleast all the edge and trim work done around the building and the high traffic areas. Come back and push mow everything within the 75' area. Send one guy with a push mower to the left islands to hit and another to right islands. Have them carry large trash bags and fill them up and leave them on the islands to pick up when leaving. Have another person(s) start mowing with the Walker's. Lay out a tarp on either side of the lot for the Walker's to be able to dump on or find an area to dump it and pick up when you leave. When the guys on the push mowers get done they start trimming and edging everything. Once anyone is done with their task they can start picking up the grass clippings and/or start blowing off. -OR- I would make it my last stop depending on how long you think it is going to take and work it backwards from what I just said. If you get it I would go there in the morning vs. the evening and see how bad the foot traffic is and where would be the best places to park
Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It would take 1 guy the better part of a day just to stick edge all that concrete. I would think 6 guys would take 1/2 a day with all the small stuff that would need to be done. It's going to take a few trucks to haul off all the clippings. I'd have 4 21's going and 2 Walkers. As soon as any 1 guy gets finished, they start edging until at least 3 guys stick edging. The others can be driving around and picking up the clippings and blowing off the walks.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would split it up and use six guys but in two crews--perhaps even as few as four guys and I would definitely use a single piece flow approach--you cannot afford to keep revisiting an area of turf to perform a discreet task and to touch clipping multiple times would be very time consuming I would need to talk through this to you to describe what I m referring to. I used to have a college campus with many of the same constraints.

Tags
catching , commercial , efficiency , time saving