Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we have been using lesco paint....there are others that may be better priced but we havent tried them yet....the lesco paint seems to work ok when mixed at 3-4 oz. per gallon and getting about 100 sq ft per gallon coverage....its not for everyone as it gets expensive to do large lawns.....we have had most success with small front yards and small retail properties.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
Thanks, I will check it out.
Z Turn

Last winter there is guy on Midway near Elkcam that painted his Weeds. The yard jumped up at you like a sore thumb. BTW That part of the road is now closed do to making it 4 lane. He might of done it again. I have seen spot treatments that blended in very nicely, but so far I have not seen a great looking Paint job. That doesn't mean it can't be done.

The TV News has run stories several times last year about lawn painting in the big city. The guy on Midway is the only one in our area who I know of that offers it and I have not seen any yards painted but his.

You are welcome to barrow a self contained small 12V sprayer with battery if a back pack doesn't work. However if you are going to spray more than a yard or two, you can then buy your own. However I question the Demand for Turf Painting in our area.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the demand is not real high although not many people know about it or how it works...the best results we have found have been on flortam/st aug/seville with little to no damage other than frost....they look awesome after painting....but weeds and thin lawns tend to look like crap....spot treating a nice lawn is easy as well....blends in with color well.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
the demand is not real high although not many people know about it or how it works...the best results we have found have been on flortam/st aug/seville with little to no damage other than frost....they look awesome after painting....but weeds and thin lawns tend to look like crap....spot treating a nice lawn is easy as well....blends in with color well.
Mr G

It only stands to reason that better turf will look better than than Dirt and weeds. The Lawn on Midway Blvd I talked about is dirt and weeds. It looked real Tacky bright unnatural green

I have no desire to try lawn painting. However Would you care to share for others any tricks to painting lawns. Did you use a Back Pack or a power sprayer of some kind. How heavy are you applying the paint etc etc. From the TV stories I have seen, they show guys with power sprayers and paint type guns. As I said and you confirmed the Demand is not great for this service.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 02-07-2011, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

every lawn is a little different ric. some need more dye than others it depends on the color youre trying to blend it into...if the entire area is brown than you would more likely need 3-4 oz per gallon...the deepest green we have been asked for took 6 oz per gal...but looked fake as hell....most entire lawns we have done look real good at the 3-4 oz rate....regular sthil backpacks work great....we use them for the cutting in and smaller areas...we also use 25gal 12 volt rigs for the larger more open areas....main thing is to clean them out VERY well when done...you wont be able to remove any staining on the tanks but get all the dye out of the trigger/wand/hose and pump...its a nice add on to any biz.....
Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
every lawn is a little different ric. some need more dye than others it depends on the color youre trying to blend it into...if the entire area is brown than you would more likely need 3-4 oz per gallon...the deepest green we have been asked for took 6 oz per gal...but looked fake as hell....most entire lawns we have done look real good at the 3-4 oz rate....regular sthil backpacks work great....we use them for the cutting in and smaller areas...we also use 25gal 12 volt rigs for the larger more open areas....main thing is to clean them out VERY well when done...you wont be able to remove any staining on the tanks but get all the dye out of the trigger/wand/hose and pump...its a nice add on to any biz.....
Z turn

I withdraw my offer of loaning you a 12V sprayer. Sorry

Old 02-07-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Z turn

I withdraw my offer of loaning you a 12V sprayer. Sorry
LOL, you mean to tell me you don't want green tanks. No problem after thinking about it and reading more specifics I don't think it is something I would consider offering. My lawns are way to big anyway from what I am reading about coverage, a light application of annual rye perhaps with of course an upcharge for additional mowings
Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
LOL, you mean to tell me you don't want green tanks. No problem after thinking about it and reading more specifics I don't think it is something I would consider offering. My lawns are way to big anyway from what I am reading about coverage, a light application of annual rye perhaps with of course an upcharge for additional mowings
Z turn

Light Coverage for sure. But once again I was driving down Midway Blvd today and it is now open but a PITA. Looking at all those older Mackle Home, I could not help to notice the weeds were greening up nicely. My point once again, IS THERE ENOUGH DEMAND in our area?? The real market is PGI & BSI etc. These Lawns all have Irrigation and either on a canal or across the street from a canal. Many of my customer had No Freeze Damage and those who did had minor damage. I have found over the years if you get S A in our Area green before Oct you can keep it green all winter long.

BTW It is the Palms and tropical ornamental that show the most stress from Cold weather. Be sure your customer get a preventive Copper Sulfate treatment on all their Palms and Tropical ornamental. after a cold snap they are very susceptible to fungus. A Limited Pesticide License is all that is needed

Old 02-08-2011, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
BTW It is the Palms and tropical ornamental that show the most stress from Cold weather. Be sure your customer get a preventive Copper Sulfate treatment on all their Palms and Tropical ornamental. after a cold snap they are very susceptible to fungus. A Limited Pesticide License is all that is needed
They are susceptible to all pests and disease after a harsh winter because they have to use up the lions share of of stored starches just to replace dead growth. So a good organic fertilization would go a long way to being proactive for the health of your plants. If you were really on your game you did this in the fall and you will follow up when the big flush of growth begins. We don't have much fungal problems here so I can't comment on the copper sulfate.

We have hard freezes every 4-5 years lately. Everything is toasty this year, we have had one stretch of night time temps below the mid 20's for 5 consecutive nights in my neighborhood. Last week it was 3 nights of the same and the first one had 40 MPH winds to go with it.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 02-08-2011, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
They are susceptible to all pests and disease after a harsh winter because they have to use up the lions share of of stored starches just to replace dead growth. So a good organic fertilization would go a long way to being proactive for the health of your plants. If you were really on your game you did this in the fall and you will follow up when the big flush of growth begins. We don't have much fungal problems here so I can't comment on the copper sulfate.

We have hard freezes every 4-5 years lately. Everything is toasty this year, we have had one stretch of night time temps below the mid 20's for 5 consecutive nights in my neighborhood. Last week it was 3 nights of the same and the first one had 40 MPH winds to go with it.
AZ

Our no Freeze Date isn't until March 15 and any fertilizer applied now Orgasmic or other wise would be a big mistake, Yes Add that Fertilizer now and you will get insects. I will start fertilizing in late Feb and early March. I always add insecticide to my tank mix when applying Cooper Sulfate, Cooper Sulfate treatment is standard Protocol on our Palms and more tropical plants after a freeze. I am not sure now different our climates are, but I am sure we are a lot more humid being directly on the water.