Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-13-2011, 10:06 PM
srl28's Avatar
srl28 srl28 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,172
Trimming Fat and Cutting Debt

Its no suprise that running a business with little debt is a good way to go. Most of us understand that there is some debt that is good debt.

But aside from that, and being that its early on in the new year, what are your ways of trimming some fat in your business and more importantly what are your ways of cutting debt down. Some of us have credit card bills, truck payments, mortgage, etc. What have you done or what are you doing to cut that debt down. Of course every little bit helps
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-14-2011, 06:44 AM
MLI's Avatar
MLI MLI is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Ma
Posts: 451
I started trimming debt and fat in the co. 2 yrs ago. Lazy azz employees should be 1st to go....they are the bulk of the expense. Get those credit cards payed off as well(high interest/late fees bs.) Next start putting all your monthly loans/bills and put them in order smallest to largest, and pay off the smallest 1st(doesnt matter the interest as long as its not credit card) Once you pay off the smallest,leapfrog to the next highest loan. By doing this you are taking the $$$ from the loans you have payed off and applying to the next smallest loan you need to pay off. Some folks will say pay off the higher interest rate loans 1st, but I have found that mentally eliminating loans books gets you motivated to tackle the next loan. Before you know it....you'll have 1/2 the debt you had.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-14-2011, 10:07 AM
nlminc nlminc is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: GA
Posts: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLI View Post
I started trimming debt and fat in the co. 2 yrs ago. Lazy azz employees should be 1st to go....they are the bulk of the expense. Get those credit cards payed off as well(high interest/late fees bs.) Next start putting all your monthly loans/bills and put them in order smallest to largest, and pay off the smallest 1st(doesnt matter the interest as long as its not credit card) Once you pay off the smallest,leapfrog to the next highest loan. By doing this you are taking the $$$ from the loans you have payed off and applying to the next smallest loan you need to pay off. Some folks will say pay off the higher interest rate loans 1st, but I have found that mentally eliminating loans books gets you motivated to tackle the next loan. Before you know it....you'll have 1/2 the debt you had.
Great post!

Worked for me....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-14-2011, 10:54 AM
KS_Grasscutter's Avatar
KS_Grasscutter KS_Grasscutter is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Posts: 3,113
I agree with paying off smaller loans first then doubling up on the larger ones. I am also looking at cutting costs by mowing 3 long days vs 5 short days. Also will take my small trailer on days I don't need all my mowers.

The main thing I have done to save a boat load of money is to eat at home about 90% of the time. I spent countless dollars this spring on fast food, and have all but eliminated that. Me and my gf can eat at home for 2 to 3 dollars per person, whereas we were spending 7 or 8 on fast food, or 15 at a sit down restaurant.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-14-2011, 05:39 PM
LB1234 LB1234 is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 3,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
The main thing I have done to save a boat load of money is to eat at home about 90% of the time. I spent countless dollars this spring on fast food, and have all but eliminated that. Me and my gf can eat at home for 2 to 3 dollars per person, whereas we were spending 7 or 8 on fast food, or 15 at a sit down restaurant.
Posted via Mobile Device

this saves money for your business? does that mean you are writing off all your meals?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 PM
corey4671 corey4671 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere in TN
Posts: 2,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLI View Post
I started trimming debt and fat in the co. 2 yrs ago. Lazy azz employees should be 1st to go....they are the bulk of the expense. Get those credit cards payed off as well(high interest/late fees bs.) Next start putting all your monthly loans/bills and put them in order smallest to largest, and pay off the smallest 1st(doesnt matter the interest as long as its not credit card) Once you pay off the smallest,leapfrog to the next highest loan. By doing this you are taking the $$$ from the loans you have payed off and applying to the next smallest loan you need to pay off. Some folks will say pay off the higher interest rate loans 1st, but I have found that mentally eliminating loans books gets you motivated to tackle the next loan. Before you know it....you'll have 1/2 the debt you had.
that's the Dave Ramsey plan! stick with it and you'll be out of debt in no time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2011, 05:54 PM
corey4671 corey4671 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere in TN
Posts: 2,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
I agree with paying off smaller loans first then doubling up on the larger ones. I am also looking at cutting costs by mowing 3 long days vs 5 short days. Also will take my small trailer on days I don't need all my mowers.

The main thing I have done to save a boat load of money is to eat at home about 90% of the time. I spent countless dollars this spring on fast food, and have all but eliminated that. Me and my gf can eat at home for 2 to 3 dollars per person, whereas we were spending 7 or 8 on fast food, or 15 at a sit down restaurant.
Posted via Mobile Device
that's the one thing I am going to try and do better this year. I spend around $3 on breakfast and $7 on lunch. That's $200 a month! May not sound like much but it adds up!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-15-2011, 02:40 PM
KS_Grasscutter's Avatar
KS_Grasscutter KS_Grasscutter is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Posts: 3,113
Lb1234, you are right, those are personal expenses. But the less personal expenses I have the more money I can apply to paying off debt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-15-2011, 10:40 PM
AintNoFun AintNoFun is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,754
good topic... ive done a bunch of small thing like cut back on our cell phone minutes, went with gas station credit cards to get "points/cash" back. most of our major stuff has been cut back pretty good, just doing some fine tuning...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-16-2011, 12:39 AM
srl28's Avatar
srl28 srl28 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,172
Thanks-Figured this was a good topic for it being so early in the new year/season. What cards are you using for gas? Looking into tanks at our shop (rented location) to keep things moving smoothly, less time at the gas station/attached conveinience store.

Not sure where else to work on things to keep things moving smoothly. Got some ideas though
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 PM.

Page generated in 0.10364 seconds with 7 queries