Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2011, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maintaining athletic fields

like to know if there is anybody on this site that maintains athletic fields and if they do pm what fert you are using and how do you like it. Thanks
Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Apparently not many. I manage 18 fields ranging from natural turf to hybrids of natural/artifical turf. I do not rely on any one fertilizer supplier because of bid regulations/purchasing policy. I pull soil samples a minimum of once a year unless problems arise then more often. and evaluate what is needed. I will use slow release and all mineral materials as approipriate. I have been using fertilizer that carry an iron chelate in the past with fair to good results for darker green appearance but the effect is fleeting. hope this helps
Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

do you care to tell me what you have use and what you do and don't like. Do you use PGR on your fields?
Old 01-19-2011, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Sure, One of my suppliers carry Howard johnson fert and have used Lesco. any respectable dealer should have a good product. ask around your area for a good supplier. I use preemergent material called barricade (trade name) prodiamine is the chem name I believe. you can apply this material early in the season and have good results. have a soil test done by the County extension or fertilizer sales rep now. take the results and have the sales rep set your program up for you. You can use the test results to decide what the grass needs, then shop around for the best prices on comparable material. consider using slow release material in the spring and summer and use all mineral in the fall/ early winter. grub control in late spring if this has been a problem. I will bundle my apps together using a fert plus grub control to save time. spray broad leaf weeds if you are not doing any spring seeding but better time is in the late fall for broadleaf if you are not under alot of weed pressure. not a fan of weed and feed materials seems they are a hit and miss type of thing.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

sorry no I don't use PGR's use them years ago but I am a fan of aggressive growth
Old 01-31-2011, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

PGR's

I have used PGR's in the past. They are not good for out in the open turf where there will be use and foot traffic. It is great for areas like fence rows, medians and such where the turf does not receive wear. A PGR lessens the recover-ability of turf because of the reduction in growth. I have also mixed Iron into the mix to maintain some green color in the turf.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Its always a good idea to have a soil test. In general, without being personal it is not usually recommended to have a fertilizer salesman recommend your fertility program. there is always the chance he is going to sell you whatever is the flavor of the month. I use a soil lab that includes fertilizer recommendations along with the soil test results. Plaease don't bombard me with nasty messages, this is just my opinion
Old 03-22-2011, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I thought on athletic fields you didn't want to use prodiamine for pre early in the season because it is a root inhibitor. Is this not correct?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

they probably aren't growing bermuda turf for the ball fields
Old 04-19-2012, 05:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I thought on athletic fields you didn't want to use prodiamine for pre early in the season because it is a root inhibitor. Is this not correct?
you dont

im using 18-12-6, 4 pounds of product per k

in the fall i did 0-0-62 at 30k per bag down the centers of football and soccer fields
lawnboy 21
bobcat 36 48 wb
redmax trimmers blowers
traler vac 16hp vanguard
scag sw52a-17ka
350 dump

lesco spreaders and tanks