Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-01-2011, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Yes .... really. I intentionally stress plants ..... "optimum growth" suggests providing conditions which do not lead to stress ..... i.e. no shortage of nutrients or water.
No it doesn't suggest that at all. Optimum means most favorable. It could mean using no inputs.

Quote:
....if you want to minimize inputs you need to find the breaking point of your landscape plants, then maintain your resources at a level that is slightly higher than that (i.e. one that doesn't impose too much stress on the plants).
That level changes from month to month or season to season, which is my whole point. I can better match that level if I have both sources . I love it when rain and lightning show up to replace my synthetic applications, but sometimes they don't.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackgrass View Post
No it doesn't suggest that at all. Optimum means most favorable. It could mean using no inputs.
Your entire post was about meeting the nutrient demand curve of plants as it varies through the season. Not only is that is exactly what you were suggesting ("optimum growth" .... your words not mine) but clearly stated. Maybe you should go back and read your post ... specifically the sections about nutrient demand curves and how to meet them.

Quote:
That level changes from month to month or season to season, which is my whole point. I can better match that level if I have both sources . I love it when rain and lightning show up to replace my synthetic applications, but sometimes they don't.
Case in point. Now you are talking about meeting nutrient demand .... i.e. no limiting nutrients.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Your entire post was about meeting the nutrient demand curve of plants as it varies through the season. Not only is that is exactly what you were suggesting ("optimum growth" .... your words not mine) but clearly stated. Maybe you should go back and read your post ... specifically the sections about nutrient demand curves and how to meet them.
I said give the plant 1/2 of its demand organically and 1/4 of it synthetic. Adding 1/2 to 1/4 is 3/4 or 75% - of its demand.

Quote:
Case in point. Now you are talking about meeting nutrient demand .... i.e. no limiting nutrients.
So 75% of demand isn't limiting?

If you have to twist words that hard, its because you have no point.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No one is twisting words quack ... that is what you wrote ... meeting the nutrient demand of the plant for optimum growth. For turf .... that would be equivalent to a NTEP rating of 9. IMO, there is absolutely no need to maintain turf at that level for resi/comm sites.

Furthermore, if the soil and environment are already capable of providing 70% (for example) of the plants nutritional needs, why are you applying 75% of the plants needs when you only would need 30% to completely meet the nutritional demand of the plant? Beyond that .... what nutrients make up that 30%? Do you custom mix synthetics per site per plant?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
No one is twisting words quack ... that is what you wrote ... meeting the nutrient demand of the plant for optimum growth. For turf .... that would be equivalent to a NTEP rating of 9. IMO, there is absolutely no need to maintain turf at that level for resi/comm sites.

Furthermore, if the soil and environment are already capable of providing 70% (for example) of the plants nutritional needs, why are you applying 75% of the plants needs when you only would need 30% to completely meet the nutritional demand of the plant? Beyond that .... what nutrients make up that 30%? Do you custom mix synthetics per site per plant?
If you can't debate my points without trying to sever and twist the possible definitions of each word, it means you have lost.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have no way of knowing whether someone knows how they are using the word but ........

Optimum comes from the Latin optimum (singular - optimus) meaning "best."
The word was first used in English in the late 1800's in biology referring to "conditions most favorable" (for growth, etc.)

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 02-01-2011, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

YIKES! disecting, I would rather do it on a frog in science class
what happened to sharing, a little off track me thinks
Old 02-01-2011, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
YIKES! disecting, I would rather do it on a frog in science class
what happened to sharing, a little off track me thinks
Semantics..... for those with no point but a strong desire to argue.

I wonder what the meaning of Kiril is? oh wait, I just found it:
Kiril \k(i)-ril\ as a boy's name of Greek origin, and the meaning of Kiril is "the Lord".

That explains the ego problem, no doubt.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
I have no way of knowing whether someone knows how they are using the word but ........

Optimum comes from the Latin optimum (singular - optimus) meaning "best."
The word was first used in English in the late 1800's in biology referring to "conditions most favorable" (for growth, etc.)
Yes .... i.e. no limitations ... and per the usual degradation of replies from quack, he finally understands the problems with his post.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
If you can't debate my points without trying to sever and twist the possible definitions of each word, it means you have lost.
Once again ... no one is twisting anything here quack .... and if you were to take a honest look at your post and how it was presented, you would see the numerous problems with it.

Tags
fertilizer , organic , synthetic