Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2014, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Love my Job

I love this job when everybody, how many jobs have an office of 3 Hectares that have Aussie rule football fields, touch foot, cricket and athletics fields and Soccer pitches.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2014, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Member

uh yeah let me just say I hate you right now. No not really just a bit jealous we just got 8" of heavy wet snow I am beginning to think winner will never end.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2014, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Member

We are now in Autumn (fall) with winter around the corner and although we don't get snow it can be dam wet with strong winds during which time I'll be on the hall roofs trying to clear gum nuts from drains.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj D View Post
We are now in Autumn (fall) with winter around the corner and although we don't get snow it can be dam wet with strong winds during which time I'll be on the hall roofs trying to clear gum nuts from drains.
Its looking like we are going to repeat the weather pattern from last year, which sucks because we pushed snow last year on the first of May.
How many month a year do mow down there?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

All year around, though in summer it tends to slow down, some places spread out to about 8 weeks between cuts. generally it works out to about 13 cuts a year for res properties.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:16 AM
Sponsor

Beautiful Grass track!, only ever seen one other time in my life. All the best.
easy-lift guy
Old 03-21-2014, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cheers from the Adirondacks of New York!

Do you guys use different machines to cut the tracks themselves(I can see it is cut lower) or just a lower setting on the same machine?

And one more question for you.... I have seen some videos of Walker mowers being used down under... (Walker being my true love) Do you or anybody that you know run Walker?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Cheers from the Adirondacks of New York!

Do you guys use different machines to cut the tracks themselves(I can see it is cut lower) or just a lower setting on the same machine?

And one more question for you.... I have seen some videos of Walker mowers being used down under... (Walker being my true love) Do you or anybody that you know run Walker?
The greass I normally cut at 1.25 to 1,75in depending on the season or requirement, For the track I cut it right back to 1" or a bit less before marking then maintained the track at 1.25 for two weeks prior to the event and let the rest grow cutting that area back to 1.75in. With the lines I use a growth regulator with the paint so that it slows down the growth rate under the line and makes it easy it find when the paint wears out. Use heaps of other tricks I've developed. To answer your question yes same mower, JD Ztrack.

I know some operators that use walkers but I really don't have a need for one as the ressy yards are to small and I prefer to mulch as Its better for the turf.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Awesome! Thanks for answering.... That is really interesting about the track.... Like Easy-lift-guy said, I haven't seen many of those....

And just for professional curiosity, Walker makes a multitude of machines and decks suited for mulching and discharging as well as collection....

So, the pictures of the track along with when you mentioned "hall roofs" I pictured you working for a University.... But you also mention ressy's...... Do you have your own company or work for someone or?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm basically a private contractor but I also work for Brighton Secondary School on a large contract for the last 3-4 years which has major benefits. Come fire season around October I am also a preferred contractor for a hills council doing block slashing and hazard reduction work. Along with this I also look after several ressys, as the big contracts take nearly all my time I've reduced these to about a dozen that I can pick up on the way home.