Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #111  
Old 01-16-2013, 09:25 PM
kyles landscape kyles landscape is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: illinois
Posts: 230
great business man! few questions

how did you get up to 230 customers?

how did you get into commercial?

how did you learn how to do all this work?

do you ever wish you were smaller? (less headaches, more free time, vacation, etc?)
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Swampy's Avatar
Swampy Swampy is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hartland, WI
Posts: 1,436
I'd think you'd have to inform your state that your paying the sales tax to a different state. As far as that your state would just tax you and forward it to the neighboring state or you have to file seperate returns I don't know. There has to be something writen or someone to ask at your states tax offices.
__________________
Landscape Engineering Service
US Army 372nd EN Co 12N

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 PM
CriderLawn09 CriderLawn09 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Greenup, Ky
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
I'd think you'd have to inform your state that your paying the sales tax to a different state. As far as that your state would just tax you and forward it to the neighboring state or you have to file seperate returns I don't know. There has to be something writen or someone to ask at your states tax offices.
Yea thats what we do we file our sales taxes thru each state we collect in, i was just asking different ways you guys may save for this, like taking the money out of each payment you recieve from the customer, like if your mowing in ohio and you charge 40.00 you must charge you customer 42.80, so do you just take the 2.80 out of the check and save it up, because you pay every quarter so its easy to forget or have a major expense come up and it really kills your cash flow when its time to pay your sales tax i guess i kind of answered my own question lol but just curious on how you guys that have to collect sales tax do it.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 01-16-2013, 10:27 PM
CriderLawn09 CriderLawn09 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Greenup, Ky
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
great business man! few questions

how did you get up to 230 customers?

how did you get into commercial?

how did you learn how to do all this work?

do you ever wish you were smaller? (less headaches, more free time, vacation, etc?)
kyle, i started out small just me and one other guy mowing and actually im a welder by trade and i was working as a carman for the rail road in 2008 right out of high school and when the econmy hit rock bottom we got laid off in december of 08, and i had been mowing grass all thru high school and already had a truck and trailer and zero turn, so i started doing it full time. But, we got up to about 230 accounts and i wish i wouldnt posted that number because it has dropped a little from that as we set our sites on doing more commerical apartment complexes and other condos etc. (of course some of them are like mowing 30 small yards at once lol) but we just advertisied correctly and when i first started i did all the stupid ones that never work phone book covers ? news paper? the list goes on , but doing great work and word of mouth got me to where im at today and hiring some good foreman was a big key to growing as well, when you can have 4- or 5 crew leaders that always mow or service each acct. as if you were there and have very few complaints then you have it made but as for commerical accts. it was the same thing doing good work and having people out there that are in your networking group and what i mean by that if you mow for a guy who runs a garbage compnay and you know his dumpsters are at every wendy's in town have him put in a word for you, or a lady who works at the bank ask her to give you a good word, never stop NETWORKING! Ive been at dirt track races and the least possible place you would ever expect and by accident gotten jobs. And as for learning how to do the work we do was actually alot to do with growing up working, my dad was a back hoe operater and a farmer and i was running tractors at 9 and digging ditches at 10 lol but, if i can't do a job i do my best to refer my customer to someone who can and try to help them every step of the way, and i never bite off more than i can chew or more than im good at, if your good at mowing, mow dont try to install an out door living space and i never stop reading and learning. And as for the having more time this is something im horrible at, i need to work on this my wife would agree lol but, its hard starting out but we all have 24 hours in a day its just figuring out what is more important and what gets done in wich hour and sorry i wrote you a book but hope this helps! I can ramble for hours about this stuff lol
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 01-17-2013, 02:09 AM
Swampy's Avatar
Swampy Swampy is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hartland, WI
Posts: 1,436
Rereading parts of this thread really makes me want to start a company back up, closed it down and parted most of it out last year which might have been a mistake looking back at it.
__________________
Landscape Engineering Service
US Army 372nd EN Co 12N

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 01-17-2013, 04:34 PM
CriderLawn09 CriderLawn09 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Greenup, Ky
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Rereading parts of this thread really makes me want to start a company back up, closed it down and parted most of it out last year which might have been a mistake looking back at it.
Man sry to hear about the closing of your company, glad my thread has sparked interest for you to give it a 2nd go around but, with the way things are any more i guess nothing comes with a gurantee so you have to be thankful for every day your working
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 PM
CriderLawn09 CriderLawn09 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Greenup, Ky
Posts: 179
Any of you guys no where a good late 90's early 2000's 4x4 5 or 6 speed 1 ton dump or even a flat bed, perferbly a diesel no 6.0 powerstrokes tho, im wanting a newer 4x4 dump truck to either build or buy, but i need a standard transmission cause i haul heavy loads and need a pto pump, ive been searching craigslist and on here in the equipment section And have had no luck it seems i can find a good dump truck 4x4 but it will be automatic, or i can find a good pto dump but its 2wd lol never everything i need. My old superduty is great but it being 2wd makes me hate it sometimes like yesterday when we hauled a load of sawdust for a guy and $250 later the wrecker service winched me out of the mud lol but if you guys see any keep me posted. Thanks and btw wheres winter lol? Last year no billable snow falls this year 2 lol so i guess its an improvement.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 PM
slamjamrockinman slamjamrockinman is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 718
Crider, enjoy reading your thread, inspiring for a guy like me who is 20 and trying to grow my biz although at a much slower rate. One question I do have for you is are you content with the size you are at right now or are you looking to grow even bigger down the road? Id love to get to about your size 6-10 years down the road. Big enough but small enough to keep control of everything.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 01-18-2013, 10:50 PM
CriderLawn09 CriderLawn09 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Greenup, Ky
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamjamrockinman View Post
Crider, enjoy reading your thread, inspiring for a guy like me who is 20 and trying to grow my biz although at a much slower rate. One question I do have for you is are you content with the size you are at right now or are you looking to grow even bigger down the road? Id love to get to about your size 6-10 years down the road. Big enough but small enough to keep control of everything.
Thanks man!, and yea we are pretty much content for now we had a major growth sprut at first but it wasnt as fast as you would think everything was thought out and we didnt out grow the capablitys of the company, i guess when you put it on paper it seems fast lol and it was to some extent but we grew at managable rate each year, it wasnt like it happened overnite although sometimes i still think whooo wait a minute howd this happen lol, but i had some good foreman in place that started off with me and that sure helped, if it wasnt for them we prolly wouldnt have grew as fast, but glad you like the thread
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 01-19-2013, 12:15 AM
Swampy's Avatar
Swampy Swampy is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hartland, WI
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriderLawn09 View Post
Any of you guys no where a good late 90's early 2000's 4x4 5 or 6 speed 1 ton dump or even a flat bed, perferbly a diesel no 6.0 powerstrokes tho, im wanting a newer 4x4 dump truck to either build or buy, but i need a standard transmission cause i haul heavy loads and need a pto pump, ive been searching craigslist and on here in the equipment section And have had no luck it seems i can find a good dump truck 4x4 but it will be automatic, or i can find a good pto dump but its 2wd lol never everything i need. My old superduty is great but it being 2wd makes me hate it sometimes like yesterday when we hauled a load of sawdust for a guy and $250 later the wrecker service winched me out of the mud lol but if you guys see any keep me posted. Thanks and btw wheres winter lol? Last year no billable snow falls this year 2 lol so i guess its an improvement.
The other I'd look into is municpal auction's, but I'd go for the inspection times on that, some of those get beat to snot. I wouldn't put anything on a lawn this winter, the ground is only semi frozen up here.
__________________
Landscape Engineering Service
US Army 372nd EN Co 12N

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 PM.

Page generated in 0.07492 seconds with 8 queries