Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2011, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Walker Blower

It is time, really a little past time, to replace the blower on my Walker. Has anyone replaced a 10" with the new 10.5"? Did you notice very much difference? Do you have to do anything special for the larger one to fit?
Old 01-15-2011, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There's a kit used to replace the old one with the new one and worth every dime if you are going to replace and keep your Walker. More suction--better shredding, fills the box a lot fuller! If you are a good mechanic you could do it yourself but we let our dealer do it.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is the inlet and outlet the same size on the two fans? Or do you have to replace insert in the bin and the device running from mower up to the fan? What is the cost of the kit?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Is the inlet and outlet the same size on the two fans? Or do you have to replace insert in the bin and the device running from mower up to the fan? What is the cost of the kit?
The inlet and outlet are same size. The blower housing and impeller are bigger. Depends on the year of your Walker as to what kit parts you will need. Also, use the large hole screen in the hopper. There is a big differance with the 10.5" blower.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls View Post
The inlet and outlet are same size. The blower housing and impeller are bigger. Depends on the year of your Walker as to what kit parts you will need. Also, use the large hole screen in the hopper. There is a big differance with the 10.5" blower.
My Walker is a 2006 and was made about 2 months before they started using the 10.5" blower

You are right about the large hole screen. My Walker Rep recommended me getting one with the new mower and I use it until it gets hot and dry. The only negative with the large hole screen is some small trash can get blown out the back but that is not enough to offset the positive things it does.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, go with the 10.5" blower. It's a big difference over the 10. I've heard the "conversion" isn't all that bad, at least compared to replacing the blower itself. If you have done that before you know it's not much fun!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
I agree, go with the 10.5" blower. It's a big difference over the 10. I've heard the "conversion" isn't all that bad, at least compared to replacing the blower itself. If you have done that before you know it's not much fun!
This would be my first time to replace one but I'm still debating on just taking it to the dealer. I had to pick up some other parts a couple of weeks ago and right now the have about 4 mechanics with not much to do so should not take them very long . I am at almost 1100 hrs so I might just get them to do this and change the Hydro oil also and keep my hands clean for once.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm in the same boat, mine has right around 1,100 I think (been a while since I ws on it, lol) and it's time for a new blower. Mine has the 10.5 already though. Also want to look hard at the deck gearboxes, not sure if I can rebuild them or not. both are leaking, replaced the seal in one and it's still leaking.... One hydro is possibly going out or needs repair. The input shaft is getting loose and leaking some. Was making some noise last fall. General maintenance otherwise. Probably replace the other belts I haven't replaced yet, had the small belt for the hydros shell on my last fall, the others are original. Yeah need to change the hydro fluid as well.

I'm probably going to have to take it in for the hydro pump issue. not sure what the outcome will be on that...
Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
I'm in the same boat, mine has right around 1,100 I think (been a while since I ws on it, lol) and it's time for a new blower. Mine has the 10.5 already though. Also want to look hard at the deck gearboxes, not sure if I can rebuild them or not. both are leaking, replaced the seal in one and it's still leaking.... One hydro is possibly going out or needs repair. The input shaft is getting loose and leaking some. Was making some noise last fall. General maintenance otherwise. Probably replace the other belts I haven't replaced yet, had the small belt for the hydros shell on my last fall, the others are original. Yeah need to change the hydro fluid as well.

I'm probably going to have to take it in for the hydro pump issue. not sure what the outcome will be on that...
How do you know which one you have? I am guessing I have the smaller one. I bought the mower new in 2000. After cleaning my mower after doing leaves, I noticed a more than normal amount of dirt underneath the seat. I noticed that the blower housing had a wear mark all the way through the steel. It was a perfect width size of around 1/4" and about 3" long. Looks like one of the fins rubbed the housing, but it's not rubbing now...weird. Anyways, I didn't know they had the 10.5" blower until now.

Anyways, I just talked to Alex yesterday and they're shop labor rate is down from 65hr to 52hr until Feb. 15th. Also, payments are deferred until April 10th.

Any idea what the 10.5" blower & housing cost? I have a bad starter (I think), so if they replace that, they will have to pull the engine and thought it would be a good time to get the new blower.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 01-18-2011, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker-talker View Post
How do you know which one you have? I am guessing I have the smaller one. I bought the mower new in 2000. After cleaning my mower after doing leaves, I noticed a more than normal amount of dirt underneath the seat. I noticed that the blower housing had a wear mark all the way through the steel. It was a perfect width size of around 1/4" and about 3" long. Looks like one of the fins rubbed the housing, but it's not rubbing now...weird. Anyways, I didn't know they had the 10.5" blower until now.

Anyways, I just talked to Alex yesterday and they're shop labor rate is down from 65hr to 52hr until Feb. 15th. Also, payments are deferred until April 10th.

Any idea what the 10.5" blower & housing cost? I have a bad starter (I think), so if they replace that, they will have to pull the engine and thought it would be a good time to get the new blower.
The wear mark in the houseing is from the material that you pick up, not the fan blade rubbing on the inside of the houseing. If you run your fingers on the inside of the houseing you will feel lots of wear areas.