Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2011, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Google places.

Anyone have any tips for improving my lawn service's google place ranking?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guess not huh?

Well, I'm try some different things. I'll post here how they turn out.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Sponsor

I checked your listing content and the source code on your site. Seems like you've done everything right. It's a mystery why you don't show up in the google map results when your town and "lawn service" are listed.

I'm guessing that the other companies that show up have a longer history with Google, and may have web sites that rank higher.

It is good to note that your business still appears twice in the top ten organic listings for the above search - that's excellent.

Things you can do to improve results overall - work on back links to your site, continue to add new content to your site, use google adwords.

stevep@voltlighting.com

Outdoor Lighting and LED Light Bulbs from VOLT®.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I've researched, Google Places is one of the hardest sections to figure out for "ranking". Although that's a poor word to describe placement there.

Even regular SEO is an angle that few will share the best secrets. If people share the best secrets about SEO, then they really don't care about it or know about it. Otherwise why even bother, but tell the whole world what is counter-productive to the study and effort.

So with Google Places, I see even less information squeeking out from those who really understand.

If it looks like someone is helping you, either they are not in that game anymore, or the advice is so generic, it does not hit the nail on the head.

Just keep researching.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 01-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Sponsor

Here's google's explanation on how they determine rank of local business (map) listings.

"All Google search results are based primarily on relevance, and Google Maps listings are no different. Google Maps ranks business listings based on their relevance to the search terms entered, along with geographic distance (where indicated) and other factors. Sometimes our search technology decides that a business that's farther away from your location is more likely to have what you're looking for than a business that's closer.

Google Maps and Google Places are a free service, so there's no way to request or pay for a better ranking. We also can't provide additional details about our ranking algorithm. We do our best to keep the details of the algorithm confidential in order to make the ranking system as fair as possible for everyone."

It's anyone's guess as to how they determine what business to list and in what order. Maybe they know what car you drive, what restaurants you eat at, what kind of gas you buy, where you buy your clothes, and the type of people you share a beer with - that could determine where they send you!

stevep@voltlighting.com

Outdoor Lighting and LED Light Bulbs from VOLT®.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Google pay per click

I have thought about using google pay per click but heard that can get expensive. Has anybody done this or know anything about pay per click. I have heard it can get you twards or at the top but I dont know if it is true.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using Adwords for my lawn service. I was hesitant at first because I was worried the ad spending would burn through my budget, but I have found the level of spending control to be very precise.

you can set it to either bill you or you can choose to do it on a prepaid basis. I think google is still running their $75 credit promo. I signed up using that promo.

they require a $10 minimum initial prepaid balance but that got me $85 in credit on the account.

go give it a shot, it's only ten bucks.

as for where your ad ranks, that all depends on what you bid for specific search terms.

some will cost more than others to get into the top three paid returns.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I would recommend you know what you are doing and know exactly what search terms you want to use. No sense throwing your money away....and it can be done very quickly.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 01-26-2011, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

im no expert in this at all but the best advice i can give you is to backlink your site to as many relevant sites as possible, i started my website 2 months ago, and whenever i get time i go and add my site to search engines, i can basically type in any variation of landscaping southbury/southbury landscaping/ landscaper 06488. ect ect into google and a link somewhere will place me in the top 3 of google. as well as have more then one link to my website.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 01-26-2011, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
im no expert in this at all but the best advice i can give you is to backlink your site to as many relevant sites as possible, i started my website 2 months ago, and whenever i get time i go and add my site to search engines, i can basically type in any variation of landscaping southbury/southbury landscaping/ landscaper 06488. ect ect into google and a link somewhere will place me in the top 3 of google. as well as have more then one link to my website.
That's the general advice that's been available on most website forums.

But one thing is certain, a town of 20,000 is pretty easy to be in the top few spots.

Even in Medford, OR, which is near 60,000, my site reached #1 there just a few weeks after moving there in 2005. Although we are back in Beaverton now, as of 2008.

Guess it does not matter to the person in on the first page though. Whether a big city or a little city, they are happy to be on the front page, especially the top few spots.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890