Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2011, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Crazy Customers

Whats thw worst customer youve ever had or funny or ridiculous,
they things they said or did and your reactions.

Just makin some conversation and things to laugh at !
Old 01-16-2011, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Had a crazy customer one time who always wanted me to do her yard first. However if there was dew, she would insist I wait because it would be "too wet." She was also CHEAP, but wanted the best of everything. Finally dropped her cuz she was too much trouble.
Hustler 42" ZTR
2 Honda walkbehinds
Echo handhelds
6x14 trailer

Lots of sweat!

"All you need for a beautiful lawn"
Pray for rain!!!

Psalm 18:2 "The Lord is my rock, my fortress, my deliverer, my shield, my salvation, my stronghold, in whom I take refuge."
Old 01-17-2011, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Had one that was moving and putting the house up for sale. I looked at the property when he wasn't home, and called to give him my estimate. We talked FOREVER. The guy told me his whole life story, said my extimate was fine, and would I rather he pay me directly until the house sold or let the realtor handle it, and when he was moving and the approximate date the place would need the first mowing.

A week or so later, I was close to the place, so dropped by to introduce myself. Guy acted like he didn't know who I was, so I told him I was the one who had given him a quote over the telephone the week before. He still acted totally confused, and finally told me that his realtor was handling all the stuff for the house and that he'd be glad to give them my card and quote. I finally just went back to my truck and left. I don't know if the guy was high or drunk when I talked to him or what, although he didn't sound like it, and he wasn't old, probably around 45. I'm still shaking my head over that one, but I am glad I went by, because I doubt I would have ever gotten paid if I had just started service like we agreed over the phone.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a PITA customer who wanted me to blow all the leaves out of her woods. She also didn't want me to use my Cyclone Rake because it was loud and dusty. She also didn't want me using my ZTR on any hill because she thought I would roll it over. Oh...back to the leaves...she wanted me to start at the front of her yard each week and blow her yard free of leaves (even though I bagged her yard)...from front yard to woods...I'd estimate about 50 yards long! I laughed at her and said NO. She told me that I was the SEVENTH lawn care company she had that year...hmmmm!!!!! Needless to say, I wasn't planning to continue working for her. She eventually called and canceled services! Then about six years later, she stopped me at another lawn and asked if I would do her leaves. She totally forgot that I had worked for her years prior.
2 -Toro Z450 w/ Bagger + Striping Kit
32" Lesco w/ Sulky & Bagger
36" Lesco w/ Sulky
3 - Husqvarna Push Mowers
Lawnboy Push Mower
Husqvarna 125E Combi w/ Hedge Trimmer
2 - Husqvarna 223L Trimmers
3 - Poulan Pro BP400 BP Blowers
Husqvarna 125BT BP Blower
Tanaka TPE-260PF Stick Edger
Cyclone Rake
3 - Stihl Hedge Trimmers
Western UniMount Plow
Buyers Salt Spreader
www.facebook.com/yardatwork
Old 01-17-2011, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I could write a book, where shall I begin?

How about we talk about crazy Lawnsite members?????

Old 01-17-2011, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

This fall the neighbour came over when I showed up to do the leaves in my customers gated backyard. When I opened the gate a bunch of leaves( about 50) were blown out an onto an area between the houses.( a small area littered with leaves) She's a lovely piece of work to start with...and asked if I was going to pick those leaves up..and without skipping a beat I said " sure I will..just tell which ones are the ones that came out and I will gladly pick them up") and carried on my merry way.
Same neighbour only Its the old man this time complained that when I backdragged the snow out of the drive and piled it up at the end (of my customers side) and windrowed the remains onto MY customers property...became enraged and told me he was going to call the cops because it was illegal...I immediately reminded him the his pile of snow that was pushed into the park beside him was a serious violation and I would call the bylaw officers and make him move his pile. I did remind him that his GOLDEN years were best enjoyed not worrying about stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with him and is none of his business.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

My best was from landscaping this year-

We set up to do a $15,000 set of boulder walls for this lady on her 5 acre house. From day 1 she wanted to hand pick the boulders and to tell us exactly which side of the boulder she wanted facing the front at what angle she wanted the boulder to sit. Many of these boulders were in excess of 500lbs.

Yeah- I ended up just taking the down payment money and leaving her the boulders. Washed our hands of her craziness. She ended up hiring a friend of ours and she has now called him back 3 times (at no charge to her) to rearrange some stones.

It was a hard decision to walk away but some customers are way more trouble than they are worth!!!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

People are crazy these days!!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS-Tx View Post
I could write a book, where shall I begin?

How about we talk about crazy Lawnsite members?????
I'm not crazy!...Everyone else is crazy, and they're trying to steal my magic bag!!!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 01-19-2011, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape View Post
I'm not crazy!...Everyone else is crazy, and they're trying to steal my magic bag!!!
Through introspection...I've arrived at the conclusion that EVERYONE is crazy!!!
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings