Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2002, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Member

my pay?

hello, I was wondering what somebody, (anybody) thinks of this...
Okay, I get paid $5 an hour to cut grass at a place, and I'm not paying for anything, gas, mower, broken belts (it wasn't my fault) and have no taxes being taken out so its just $5 that I get for whatever I want . ... I was wondering if anybody thought this was a low pay...

(& how stupid this post sounds... lol )
Old 08-08-2002, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I think it's low. Look, after an hour, and see what you have done. The owner got that for five bucks. How long does the entire lawn take you? You will never be able to buy your own equipment, or anything else, for that pay.
Crawdad
Old 08-08-2002, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

There is know finishing the yard, its huge, its like I think all together, bigger than a football feild...

I heard that it would be more though than say working at McD's or someplace like that, after taxes and everything... And I don't know, doing this though it seems like one hour goes one forever... What would the comparrison be to that of the average highschoolers pay?
Old 08-08-2002, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Member

i myself am a high schooler and i started my own company when i was 12 with my own equipment and everyhting- picked up a couple jobs in the neighbor hood- i can finish 2 yards (mowed trimmed, edged +blown) an hour and at an average of 25 a yard i figure im earning 50 an hour. granted i dont have enough lawns to fill up every hour of the day so figure two days a week im getting 50 an hour, the other days im doing misc. landscaping that will earn random amounts of money. My suggestion is if you can meet the financial need start your own business and just keep your customers happy and you basically cant go wrong (well you can until you learn how 2 bid lol) good luck
-Coop
Old 08-08-2002, 03:15 PM
Banned

When I first read you're post I just assumed that you were in your young teens. Then I read your profile and see that your 18. So my answer is YES, you should be striving for more then $5 an hour.

If this is the field you want to get into, then as mentioned, you'll never be able to afford your own equipment at that rate.

Are all the properties in your area that big??

Do alot fo reading here, you'll find the answers.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

its just the one actually, I looked for more, but everybody has somebody doing it, and I have know way to really transport the mower and anything. This is all I have money-wise though, since I'm not aloud to get a real job, or not even a license for about another three months... wait 2 1/2 now...

I also looked in the phone book (which I used to frequently read out of boredom, there are some funny things in it sometimes) there are like more than eight pages of landscapers and such... so its really not gonna happen, (ooh! everything sux!) There was one thing that seemed to not have many of around here, and with less of a transport prob. Handyman buisness, does anybody know anything of that that could help me out any? I seriously need some money, and according to my freinds, (few freinds I've been able to keep over the years) I have promise, just need some experience... So I don't know... Everythings so hard!

I had actually talked to my dad about the pay and he said I'd actually be getting less working at McD's or something like that, at least this way I don't have a boss breathing down my neck I guess... I've never really had a real job, this is (and always was) it...
Old 08-09-2002, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like you're bored and you need to be challenged. That's why your days take so long to pass. Find yourself a job with one of those landscape companies (there 8 pages in the book) which is professional and willing to teach you the trade and allow you take classes or attend seminars. Better yet if they'll help with the cost. Work hard and learn. Show up every morning waiting for the next challenge - your days will go more quickly. I'd be willing to be you'll make more money too. $5.00 cash is like $7.00 an hour. I think you'd be better off working for a paycheck (workers' comp, liability, etc.) and learning than working for cash. Get an education.

Once you feel comfortable with the horticulture and you've learned more about business and you want to start your own deal, start slow on the weekends while you work for someone else. Eventually you'll make the leap to full time for yourself and never look back. This is of course if you want to run your own business and deal with the headaches of running your own business. It's not for everyone. Rather than being an entreprenuer you could be an intraprenuer - working to make yourself an invaluable asset to a company and making a very good living while doing that.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

At first I thought you were a little younger than your profile indicates. Minimum wage is $5.15...

You're out of schjool now, I guess, and you need to make some hard decisions about what you want your life to look like. This is not a good choice. If you like working outside with your hands go talk to the owners of several landscaping companies and ask them for a job, tel them you'll work hard and they won't be sorry they hired you. Then Never be late, never show up drunk, never miss a day, and never lie to people...all the while keep your eyes open for opportunities to advance, whether it's with landscaping or some other industry.

Good luck
Old 08-18-2002, 07:51 PM

If there are 8 pages of other LCO in the area start calling and asking if they are hiring. That would be a great way to make more money than you are now, and learn the biz. Don't laugh, I have people calling me asking for work. Probably about 6 or so this year alone. 2 or 3 even since I sold my LCO and started some thing else. I know they are calling from the yellow pages.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't take this wrong, but I think the military could be a good thing for you. If not, have you tried McDonalds? They may pay more than you think. Anyway, the military is one way to figure which direction you want to go. Good luck.