Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2011, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
In one of the earlier posts someone said they had a topdresser I am guessing its a machine. Someone have a link or picture and ballpark cost of one of those? Does Walker make an attachment?
http://www.earthandturf.com/ I have the 100sp.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-22-2011, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Do you think you could get by without the July app, and possibly combine the may/june app into 1? At least with compost you can't really put on 'too much'...

Do you/they typically mulch mow the lawns?
I probably could, but I like to be on the property to gauge how things look, and it gives me an opportunity to upsell other services. It seems that offering an organic program really puts a lawn under the microscope....literally and figuritively! So I want to make sure that I can get any weed issues ASAP. I am planning on having a few 5 gal. buckets with 'post and a few different bags of seed with me at all times so I can pop a weed out and throw down 'post and seed. We are usually cool enough all year with enough rain so that it will work even in July.

If they have a mowing service, usually not mulched. If it is the homeowner, they usually do what I advise and mulch. Most of my customers have a service though. It is this reason that I am considering offering a complete landscape maintenance service including mowing, beds, spring/fall clean ups etc.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I don't know if you can fix them here with water that comes out of the tap at 8.2 and everything needing to be irrigated even something that is fixed now will be broken again in a short time with our water.

I have been using this product for almost 20 years, all I can tell you is it works! The guy that makes the stuff starts explaining stuff to me and he quickly gets over my head. I don't need to know how it works, just that it does. Here is a link if you have questions http://biofeedsolutions.com/ I use about 25% of the multicare and 75% of the gro max in my injectors. They put product out at about 2000 to 1.
You have the best stuff on the planet of in Albuquerque, NM - check out www.humates.com - Company called Mesa Verde - Joel and Bruce Reid. Tell them James from KY sent you. This stuff will buffer the salts big time and is totally what your soil is lacking. Another product that for sure works is also out of NM called Soil Secrets - Dr Melendrez is a genius - lots of paper and pics on his site about how salty soils have been totally remediated with SS cultured humus and mycorrhizae.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Does Walker make an attachment?
I am a Walker user and also know the Ohio distributor personally so I can tell you for sure there is no attachment for topdressing. Topdressers range from small push spreaders to machines like the one phasthound referenced on up to large tow-behinds such as they use on golf courses. Excuse me if you know all of that.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 01-23-2011, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
That bio-feed sounds like it is similar to compost tea. I believe that stuff works as you say in remediating the soils, I wonder do you have compost available and whether people typically mulch mow their lawns down there?

I would think that in a sandy salty desert, people grab and hold any opportunity at OM whenever possible...
Our opportunity to mulch lawns is limited here because of the climate. In the summer I have been told it is just too hot and dry for the for the microbes needed to break down the lawn on the surface of the ground. We mulch the lawns in a brief period from about now-late April

There is lots of compost available. Our soil is mostly heavy clay here in the Phoenix area. If you get up on a mountain side or just at the base of one you run into a lot of decomposing granite as a soil base and it flushes like a toilet. You can run water 24-7 and never see it puddle. We also have caliche layers/pockets that are very hard and they don't let water penetrate so they cause problems too.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 01-24-2011, 05:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So your grass clippings become mummified too. Sounds like you guys really got a challenge for turf.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Our opportunity to mulch lawns is limited here because of the climate. In the summer I have been told it is just too hot and dry for the for the microbes needed to break down the lawn on the surface of the ground. We mulch the lawns in a brief period from about now-late April
Not following this line of thought, especially considering temperatures compost piles will reach. One might also think if it is too hot and dry for decomposition to occur, then it would also be too hot and dry for turf to grow.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Not following this line of thought, especially considering temperatures compost piles will reach. One might also think if it is too hot and dry for decomposition to occur, then it would also be too hot and dry for turf to grow.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Kiril & JD thinking the same thing?!?!?!?!?

Be afraid, be very afraid.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-24-2011, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Kiril & JD thinking the same thing?!?!?!?!?

Be afraid, be very afraid.
I think that if you put each in the "proverbial" sound-proof booth and asked a series of questions, there would be plenty they would agree on. But they wouldn't have any fun that way.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."