Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-20-2011, 02:58 PM
verygreen verygreen is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18
I would use my Hombre 4 cyl. 5sp. for the around town chem route. I used this for 5 years. 20mpg, easy to maneuver. Most clients appreciated me appearing to be frugal. They didn't know about the boat, camper, atv...
I laughed all the way to the bank with this setup
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-20-2011, 03:17 PM
knox gsl's Avatar
knox gsl knox gsl is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 3,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by verygreen View Post
I would use my Hombre 4 cyl. 5sp. for the around town chem route. I used this for 5 years. 20mpg, easy to maneuver. Most clients appreciated me appearing to be frugal. They didn't know about the boat, camper, atv...
I laughed all the way to the bank with this setup
I like the way you think on the truck, no need to let the customer think they could save a few bucks by getting the next guy that has a plain work truck and not the big fancy F250 with chrome wheels. I would rather my work truck be just that a work truck and then be able to have a nicer car for my personal vehical that's not always dirty or covered in grass.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Deori Deori is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 185
+1 on keeping the image humble. For some reason it pisses people off if their lawn guy is driving a nicer vehicle to work than they are, lol. It shouldn't affect things IMO, but I guess they don't feel bad about dropping you if you're driving a 50K truck to mow lawns with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verygreen View Post
I would use my Hombre 4 cyl. 5sp. for the around town chem route. I used this for 5 years. 20mpg, easy to maneuver. Most clients appreciated me appearing to be frugal. They didn't know about the boat, camper, atv...
I laughed all the way to the bank with this setup
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-20-2011, 04:47 PM
verygreen verygreen is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18
I have since retired, I made good money for many years. The lawns I serviced were among the finest in our area.
In this industry, green always looks better than chrome
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Agape's Avatar
Agape Agape is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: salem or
Posts: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deori View Post
+1 on keeping the image humble. For some reason it pisses people off if their lawn guy is driving a nicer vehicle to work than they are, lol. It shouldn't affect things IMO, but I guess they don't feel bad about dropping you if you're driving a 50K truck to mow lawns with.
yeah, you may as well pull up in a ferrari to give an estimate.most of the complaints I hear from people about their last company are sometimes followed by; "...and he drives around a ($xxK) Truck!!"

(It'll be a bit awkward if I ever get a new truck, I'll have to tell em I got it from a police impound or something lol)
__________________
Don Bullis-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-20-2011, 07:49 PM
knox gsl's Avatar
knox gsl knox gsl is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 3,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape View Post
yeah, you may as well pull up in a ferrari to give an estimate.most of the complaints I hear from people about their last company are sometimes followed by; "...and he drives around a ($xxK) Truck!!"

(It'll be a bit awkward if I ever get a new truck, I'll have to tell em I got it from a police impound or something lol)
Most people wouldn't really think to much of a new work truck as they would over a new truck with chrome trim, leather seats, lift kit and chrome wheels. If I hired someone to come to my home to do a service I would think I was overpaying if someone showed up in a decked out pickup even if they were in line with the current market.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-21-2011, 08:31 AM
cleankutlawnmaintenance cleankutlawnmaintenance is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Augusta, Ga
Posts: 36
Im not going to lie, I just broke down and bought me one of them jacked up trucks with chrome wheels. haha. Not too fancy. 2004 F150 Lariat with a lift and chrome wheels with oversized nittos. It stands out, but does not look over the top.

Couldnt take it anymore.....i pulled a trailer with a suv until i blew the engine on it!!!! ......after that, there was no middle of the road truck for me. Had to get one I had been wanting for many years!!.......

Wish I had the boat, atv, and camper though. Havent been that lucky though. Just lucky enough to get the bills paid and have a woman that will cook dinner for me everynight! Cant complain! haha.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-21-2011, 11:13 AM
GreenI.A.'s Avatar
GreenI.A. GreenI.A. is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North East
Posts: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleankutlawnmaintenance View Post
Im not going to lie, I just broke down and bought me one of them jacked up trucks with chrome wheels. haha. Not too fancy. 2004 F150 Lariat with a lift and chrome wheels with oversized nittos. It stands out, but does not look over the top.

Couldnt take it anymore.....i pulled a trailer with a suv until i blew the engine on it!!!! ......after that, there was no middle of the road truck for me. Had to get one I had been wanting for many years!!.......

Wish I had the boat, atv, and camper though. Havent been that lucky though. Just lucky enough to get the bills paid and have a woman that will cook dinner for me everynight! Cant complain! haha.
I think the truck image all comes down to the markets you are targetting. I see the pics many people post and soe of my customers would not want there neighbors seeing your truck parked out front or pulling into there service driveway. Nothing against you guys dont take me wrong, the homeowners I deal with are the stuck up a$$ holes.

by the way I have been strongly considering the new 3500 HD Denali pickups
__________________
Why do people not respect us as they do other tradesmen? Because every Tom, Dick, and Harry doesn't think he can be a plumber or electrician!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Deori Deori is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 185
The other issue that no one seems to have brought up is the fact that you have to factor in the initial cost of the truck along with the added insurance, maintenance, repairs, etc. I know that in some places in the country you don't pay much for insurance, but out here in sue happy, high liability Vegas, I'm paying over $100/month per truck for good insurance.

Granted, you could probably get a 90s Ranger for a few grand at most, but all those additional expenses to probably only get a few extra mpgs at most, I think the Ranger would die on your before you manage to break even on fuel savings. Unless you really need a second truck, I think I'd drive that much more capable Duramax a long time before picking up a Ranger. Just something to consider.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 PM
fastcat's Avatar
fastcat fastcat is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: monroe, north carolina
Posts: 811
i have also thought about putting a programmer on the duramax to help with mpg's.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 PM.

Page generated in 0.07504 seconds with 8 queries