Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-05-2015, 05:34 AM
LawnSite Member

CTL Pending purchase, Real Owner Input/Advice JCB / Kubota / Other?

Hi guys. I'm probably going to get a little long winded here but feel it is relevant in the advice / help I am seeking.

Let me start by saying that I have searched the site for the info I am seeking with very limited results. I am not a "brand loyal" guy who stands from the mountain top and shouts out that "brand A is the best and everything else is crap!" I have enough real experience with equipment to know better..... for the most part every manufacturer has made some quality stuff and some absolute junk

I am planning to purchase a large platform CTL and I am looking for some real owner advice on the two most likely candidates, JCB & Kubota. I'll address the obvious "question of why those two?".....They both are within 45 min of me and I do all my own service...parts etc I like close by. I will also say that Deere is local as well but is less of a consideration.

I'm looking for owner / operator input on the JCB 300t (or any large platform new generation) & the Kubota SVL90 (new version)

I have found a decent amount on the Kubota and very little on the JCB (I did find a very negative experience on a new JCB Skid) but its only one experience....and like I said I believe there are lemons or junk throughout all manufacturers.

I have demoed the JCB and I can demo the Kubota whenever ( I have several Kubota machines and didn't feel it all that necessary just yet)

So who has these machines?

Tell me about the pros/cons from real ownership experience.

Please no Ford vs Chevy crap! Its not helpful I am also fully aware of all the other options out there....I also own New Holland and they would be on the list as well but are no longer local

I will be purchasing "new" not used.

Re-sale value will come up I am sure.....I care very little.....I hold on to my equipment if it proves to work well for me.

I really appreciate in advance any real experience you can share!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Curious what you thought of the JCB when you demoed it?
Old 03-05-2015, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Kubota SVL90-2,bought it new last April. ~180 hours on it currently. It has done well, it replaced a Mustang MTL325 (Takeuchi TL250). It has good pushing power and the load management system is a welcomed upgrade over the TL250 which I would occasionally stall.

I have some videos on my contracting company's youtube channel: www.youtube.com/RutherfordConLLC

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll try my best to help! I'm in Mississippi, my Kubota dealer is in PA. I've bought a (12/13) KX057 and (4/14)SVL90-2 from them. I also do my own work on everything, the local Kubota dealer is worthless.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just purchased a large frame machine and had it narrowed down between Tak and Cat. Didn't like my local kubota dealer as I had some issues with them on a long term rental of a kx080 we were thinking of purchasing.

Anyways, I'm curious why you are considering the JCB? I don't mind their equip and would love one of their small fast trac machines, but I'm not sold on the single boom arm on them.

If it were between the two of those for me, I would go Kubota all the way. It seems they did a really good job introducing their first ctl, and had minimal issues with them. Most owners I hear have good things to say about them.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Green View Post
Curious what you thought of the JCB when you demoed it?
Well here is what I thought about the JCB.

I had the JCB dropped off at my holding yard, which is a couple acres with major elevation changes (it's a great deal of broken ledge). In addition to the varied terrain it is also where I have various piles of material....and it's in the middle of the woods with a simple gated lane in....no asphalt etc etc.

I actually felt bad when they dropped it off, it had less than 10hrs on it and it was going to be a very wet few days ( I kept it for 3 and worked it all 3....they gave me plenty of time with it and obviously didn't really want me to return it)

So what did I think
  1. Side entry is the only reason I even started looking at them.....and quite frankly I loved it. You can exit the machine whenever you want and with ease.
  2. Visibility was great but there were some limitations. The boom side of the machine is a little bit harder to judge than a traditional double boom.....although I often will lift the boom on my New Holland at times to get a better view, when traveling etc. I didn't find it to be a big deal. Now the cutting edge on the other hand was a big deal....I couldn't see it nearly as well as most skids...so that was a negative. Maybe I could have played more with my seating position to make it better but I didn't. I wasn't doing an actual job, I was at my yard trying everything I could.
  3. Cabin was actually really nice...quiet....comfortable.....and I liked the ergonomics of the layout.
  4. Pilot Controls........umm a lil jerky at first.....not excessive but not smooth....and it honestly took me a few to get comfortable with it.....again not great but not a negative either...just different
  5. Power.......plenty of pushing power, it did not break traction when I expected it to... it kept going.....and as I said it was a real muddy site.
  6. Single Boom. I remember when I saw the early "robots" and thought there is no way that will last. I apparently was not the only person to think that way...JCB guarantees them for life....think about telehandlers, lulls, an excavator, etc etc.....if built correctly "why not?" I don't know but I am not turned off by it....and as I stated before my whole reason for even considering JCB was the side entry. Now I have heard that they are not the best for lateral load stability.....I didn't experience any lack there of But I didn't have a pallet of loose stack to play with either....so could be.

The big questions I was left with .....how is it going to hold up? How is this JCB engine?? How is dealer support...I actually have heard horror stories but they were based on backhoes and excavators.....these CTLs are built in Georgia USA....could support/parts/etc be that bad?? I don't know which is why I am asking.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack1986 View Post
I have a Kubota SVL90-2,bought it new last April. ~180 hours on it currently. It has done well, it replaced a Mustang MTL325 (Takeuchi TL250). It has good pushing power and the load management system is a welcomed upgrade over the TL250 which I would occasionally stall.

I have some videos on my contracting company's youtube channel: www.youtube.com/RutherfordConLLC

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll try my best to help! I'm in Mississippi, my Kubota dealer is in PA. I've bought a (12/13) KX057 and (4/14)SVL90-2 from them. I also do my own work on everything, the local Kubota dealer is worthless.
Have you had any issues or surprises with the SVL....I know it has very little hours but anything? How is the overhead door holding up? That is a complaint I have with my excavator...it worked well at first ....now it rattles a bit and sometimes just a pain in the neck to open or close? What do you think of your rear visibility?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I broke the glass in the door mowing a pine tree with the mower all the way up. I replaced it with Lexan, no issues other than that.

The door works fine, I wouldn't want a traditional door for most things. Rear visibility is ok, not something I usually think about aside from adding a backup camera for some types of work requiring long distance backing.

If I were buying a replacement, it would be between Tak and Kubota. If I was mowing/mulching more, it would be Cat/Tac/Terex.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2015, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kubota!

I had a JCB mini ex. Never again. Parts pricing is highway robbery. Seem to be well thought out machines, but I was blown away whenever I needed a part. I'll never forget paying almost $400 for 3 motor mounts (this is for a 1.5ton mini with a 15hp engine). At 1200 hrs the hood was broken and it just didn't feel tough like a piece of equipment should. On he other hand, I had a kx41-3v and that thing was a tank.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

My uncle owns a JCB 320t and I've put some hours in it. Here's my quick pro and cons list of the JCB. Pros, overall great viability, side door is awesome, and the cab is very roomy. Cons as mentioned above the side were the arm is mounted is hard to see the side of the machine from inside the cab. I think the side is great for lifting but I'm not sure how sold I am for pushing/dozing. You have to make sure the boom is all the way down and I guess it "locks in the loader frame". If the boom is even up the tiniest bit I've noticed the boom seems to get play in it, not an alarming amount be enough to make me question the overall longevity. The rear glass just fell out in ours one day.

I think JCB will have a great CTL in a couple years but right now I think they are still ironing out some of the kinks on the machine. If you have any other questions on the JCB feel free to ask away!
Old 03-07-2015, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You mentioned telehandlers having a single boom, which is true, but their load point is central. On a skid, you have the opposite side of the bucket that can put a lot of torsional strain on that boom and pins.

I know there are plenty of times when you need to pry something up with a corner, and not always will you be able to use the side of the bucket where the boom is.