Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2014, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

real world experience with 8 ton class

I have looked at enough spec sheet comparisons but can't find too much info or videos of these units in action. I know they are gaining popularity. The size is perfect for what we are doing now.

I've had a kx-080 on a month long rental and not too impressed with it so its crossed off the list.

Got to use a 308e2 cr for a quick little job and seemed like a nice machine but didn't really get to push it.

2 other options on the table are the Takeuchi tb290 and the Komatsu PC88. The PC88's have about 90% of the market for the large construction firms around here so they have definitely proven their keep.

The 290 has the most impressive specs but it is a conventional, although reduced, swing machine. Its also the lowest priced. Was quoted 104 otd on a brand new unit with 24 & 36" trench buckets and 48" ditch bucket.

Does anyone have anything to add or other resources I can look into.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What about a deere/hitachi 85? Kobelco? We rented a Bobcat E85 (doosan) last year for just over a month, and it was a great machine. I don't have many hours at all in our deere 85D but my 2 operators who have ran it for most of its hours seem happy with it.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 09-05-2014, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dealer support. There really isn't a good local deere dealer nearby.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

What didn't you like about the KX080-4? I was quoted $106,650 out the door for a KX080-4, angle blade, thumb, 18' and 36" buckets.

In a year or two (once I'm in a more favorable position to sell/trade) I've pondered going from my KX057 to a ~3 ton machine (with cab and air) and an 8 ton, although my thought was to stay with Kubota since I also have an SVL90-2. I guess I could go with a TB138FR, TB180FR or TB290, and a TL12. When the time came for a bigger machine, a TB1140 might fit the bill, however rumor has it that Kubota will be coming out with a 12-16t in the next couple-few years.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTouch Groundscapes View Post
I have looked at enough spec sheet comparisons but can't find too much info or videos of these units in action. I know they are gaining popularity. The size is perfect for what we are doing now.

I've had a kx-080 on a month long rental and not too impressed with it so its crossed off the list.

Got to use a 308e2 cr for a quick little job and seemed like a nice machine but didn't really get to push it.

2 other options on the table are the Takeuchi tb290 and the Komatsu PC88. The PC88's have about 90% of the market for the large construction firms around here so they have definitely proven their keep.

The 290 has the most impressive specs but it is a conventional, although reduced, swing machine. Its also the lowest priced. Was quoted 104 otd on a brand new unit with 24 & 36" trench buckets and 48" ditch bucket.

Does anyone have anything to add or other resources I can look into.
For actual digging power and performance Kubota will be at the top of the pack with Takeuchi. For hyd flow Cat has them all beat by a wide margin. Really all the machines are so close in performance including Komatsu and Doosan that it is really personal preference. What was wrong with trhe Cat and Kubota?
Old 09-06-2014, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The kubota drive system seemed really weak. Not sure if it was the particular machine we rented or not. It had about 450hrs. When working around loose spoils you had to use the stick in conjunction with the drive in order to get anywhere. The cat also had higher clearance in the undercarriage.

I know the kubota has good specs but how are their long term durability? The cast components on the pc88 seem alot beefier. Also the swing knuckle on the cat is much larger than the kx080.

For the type of work we do, we need the swing boom. Tried the side shift on the fr series taks and while nice for certain types of work, we are better suited with the swing feature.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I wonder what the various machines auxillary gpm/psi graphs would look like.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2014, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The latest Taki excavators will compete directly with CAT for aux. hyd. flow. If you need a swing boom, it is tough to beat an FR series Taki.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
The latest Taki excavators will compete directly with CAT for aux. hyd. flow. If you need a swing boom, it is tough to beat an FR series Taki.
Can you dig at right angles with a taki shift boom? I didn't think so.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an old kx 71 that has around 4500 hours with 98 percent of those hours running a atlas copco hammer . Besides maintenance , we have just cleaned the rad, and a starter. Keep in mind how hard running a hammer can be on the boom and stick , pump etc . Our u55 has about 1000 hours on it now with not a single issue. Stupid question but the kx0-80 wasn't in high gear when you where trying to move? IMO you cannot beat the Kubota reliability and performance.
Posted via Mobile Device