Register free!

Old 01-19-2011, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

CrapeMyrtle

I know many say that trimming the Crape Myrtles are not necessary......but here in Central Florida at least.....it seems to be a religion. Seems to be many schools of thought about when and how to "properly trim" Crapes too. I witnessed them being trimmed as early as late December this year. It is common to see different companies and homeowners starting to trim them now too. For some reason in my mind I feel waiting until the possiblity of freeze makes the most sense. And even then just doing very minimal.

What are your guys practices in regards to method of pruning and the time of year that you do it.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I say wait till the end of February. Generally we're out of the hard freezes by then, if you trim and a hard freeze hits, it could further damage or even kill the tree. I have a blog on my web sight on Central Florida freeze damage,check it out, www.YourLandscapePro.com
Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrightday View Post
I say wait till the end of February. Generally we're out of the hard freezes by then, if you trim and a hard freeze hits, it could further damage or even kill the tree. I have a blog on my web sight on Central Florida freeze damage,check it out, www.YourLandscapePro.com
I like your web page . It is exactly what I am wanting to set up. A place that is informative for customers. I was thinking maybe some videos of pest such a cinch bugs because it seems most home owners do not actual understand how small they are or how to really find them. They see the standard picture which is a close up of them, and think they are 2 inches long.
You have done a good job on the site. One of the best as far as getting information out there that I have seen in a long while.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

And yes I agree with your time frame. I am just trying to open the discussions down here in our little FL area of lawnsite. Thought that this topic might be something to get the conversations going since there appears to be many schools of thoughts on this.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thats what i normally do i trim all the bushes at the end of feb.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the biggest issue in florida in the winter time is the chance of new growth and then a big freeze. nothern florida gets "real winters" Id have no problems trimming in december. orlando area you have the potential for some really warm winter days would cold force new growth after a prune. Id be inclined to wait until january...and not risk a December warm spell..

Crepes are durable. but the murdering of the trees IS unneeded. but once its been done, there is no going back...I did it in orlando. heck with an early enough spring you could prune the crepes twice and get two flowerings out of em...And everyone does it so its expected now....they even do it up here, in some places, but we don't on campus..

http://grumpygardener.southernliving...oncerns-p.html

nice thing about not cutting the crepes back is you get stronger branches and the flowers won't droop as much when they get heavy with rain..

http://annaphouse.com/24%20Rockwell%...e%20Myrtle.jpg
http://www.penick.net/digging/images...%20walkers.JPG
http://www.thecharlestonobserver.com...yrtle_bare.jpg
Old 01-19-2011, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I trim them by hand with Felco's just to shape and remove seed pods. I have trimmed several in the last week even though we will most likely have another freeze. I have never had a problem pruning them this time of year. The tropicals will wait till the end of February.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

pruning before a hard hard freeze isn't bad. its getting new growth from a warm spell after a prune and then a hard freeze..
Old 01-20-2011, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
I like your web page . It is exactly what I am wanting to set up. A place that is informative for customers. I was thinking maybe some videos of pest such a cinch bugs because it seems most home owners do not actual understand how small they are or how to really find them. They see the standard picture which is a close up of them, and think they are 2 inches long.
You have done a good job on the site. One of the best as far as getting information out there that I have seen in a long while.
Thank you, Thank you!!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Another thing you can do Mike and Able. is to buy ad space in an HOA newsletter and write a Hort related article with a plug for your business at the end of the article. Its one of the things I did in Orlando in my targeted hoods...It was a good return on ad money...