Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2011, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Curved shaft weed eaters

I recently went to work for a different company and my new boss uses curved shaft weed eaters. POS homeowner single stranded echos to be precise. And I cant seem to get them down to save my life. I have about 3 years of experience with the stihl FS100x and felt that i was more then profficient with it. I even used it to vertically edge the sidewalks and driveways. But now that I have to use these echos I have a hard time trying not to scalp the yards up and an even harder time trying to edge the beds. And forget even thinking about edging grass to concrete with them.
Not to mention It KILLS my back i mean ive never had back problems untill i started using the cirved shafts. Why do they even make them? Do ANY of you guys use curved weed eaters? I feel like everytime some one sees me using the weedeater they're thinking, "look at this idiot using a homeowner weed eater."
Old 01-19-2011, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never used a straight shaft before so I'm just the opposite of you on the subject. I guess it's just comes down to what you are used to using!

I will admit that using a straight shaft would definitely be better using under bushes but I don't have that many so no big deal!

Mine will last about 2 years then just throw it away and get a new one!

I do a lot of delicate & fine trimming so what I use is just perfect at low RPM's!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

no way! I think the problem with the curve shaft weedeaters is that they spin the opposite way. making them dig to the dirt
Old 01-19-2011, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Both the straight and curved that i have used both spun clockwise.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why don't you buy a trimmer that you'd like to use? A Stihl trimmer will easily last for years and years. Let the boss buy the gas, oil and trimmer line.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've used both. You need to trim backwards from what you're used to with a curved shaft trimmer. They spin the opposite direction; clockwise instead of counter-clockwise. So instead of trimming right to left, trim left to right. You could try holding it in the opposite hand you're used to but that may make it feel even more foreign and clumsy. Edging beds with curved shaft...I'd have a hard time with that too.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelyftw View Post
Both the straight and curved that i have used both spun clockwise.
You must have been using a Homelite straight shaft. Under $200. Go buy one. The Stihl FS100RX definately spins counter clockwise.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You must have been using a Homelite straight shaft. Under $200. Go buy one. The Stihl FS100RX definately spins counter clockwise.
damn shows how much attention i payed for 3 years. And I do plan on buying a nice weed eater and edger (probably gonna get the kombi motor with the edger and trimmer attachments). But i dont want to use it at work because i dont want to carry it back and forth. Id have to bring it home because I cut grass after work on the side.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I used a curve shaft back when I was a kid and couldn't imagine going back to a curved shaft trimmer. If your short, under 5' then a curved shaft maybe the answer for you. If I personally worked for a company who used curve shaft trimmers as their main trimmers I would have to question whether they have the experience necessary to run a landscape maintenance company.
16' Landscape trailer
2008 Toro Z500
2007 Toro 21" commercial
2007 Toro 40" commercial
2008 Craftsman 33"
2008 Bluebird S22
2009 Pluger 400
And a whole lotta other stuff
Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh he definently has the experience. And i dont doubt that he knows what hes doing all of our yards are very high quality yards all fescue grass perfectly striped. And besides the weedeaters all of the equipment is top of the line. Gravely 52" hydro floating deck mower, BR600s, Stihl edger, stihl pole saws, stihl trimmers. I mean all his equipment is great except the weedeaters.
21" MTD Pro Push mower
Stihl BR550
Bolens 25cc trimmer (KM110R soon to come)