Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2011, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

so far it is much harder and holding up great on our trailer we had done. it was 1/3 of the price of painting, and is outdoing the one we had painted by alongshot. i do understand where you are coming from, but i am not sure one is really better over the other given the variables.

and, in our case at least it was much cheaper
Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
so far it is much harder and holding up great on our trailer we had done. it was 1/3 of the price of painting, and is outdoing the one we had painted by alongshot. i do understand where you are coming from, but i am not sure one is really better over the other given the variables.

Guys...I'm a little slow but powder coating is different than rhino lining right? Would Rhino lining it work as long as it is ff'ed so grass and debris doesn't stick to it?
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-24-2011, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it would, and would be a great investment, but rock is harder to get out, as is mulch. but, it would protect for a very long time.

powder coating is most likely what you mowers are. some trailers are like that. it is like paint, but baked on. it is a harder finish that wears abrasion better imo. that 18ft orange trailer we have DLAWNS is powder coated. the 12 ft is painted.

no comparison in how much tougher the powder coating is over the professinal auto body paint job(with kubota paint!)
Old 01-24-2011, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
it would, and would be a great investment, but rock is harder to get out, as is mulch. but, it would protect for a very long time.

powder coating is most likely what you mowers are. some trailers are like that. it is like paint, but baked on. it is a harder finish that wears abrasion better imo. that 18ft orange trailer we have DLAWNS is powder coated. the 12 ft is painted.

no comparison in how much tougher the powder coating is over the professinal auto body paint job(with kubota paint!)
Cool. I appreciate all the info guys! I'm really thinking I might rhino line it up!
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-25-2011, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

everything has pro's and cons otherwise there wouldn't be so many choices on stuff. we all have different likes and dislikes too. i'm curious about something tho, do you have a lot of humidity(moisture) where you are? that does not help here in my area of the country anyway ig otta go eat then head out plowin so i'll have to read everything else that's been said later but this is part of a post i made somewhere else, just wanted to share it with you guys to show what i been talkin about

here's a perfect example of why i hate powdercoating! this piston was bought brand new no more than 3 winters ago and look at how rotted it is it looks like it's seen 10 winters already. it's disgusting. once any kind of blemish penetrates the powder coat the moisture gets trapped underneath and accelerates the rusting process. give me primer and paint any day of the week. gonna keep this puppy soaked in ff threw this winter then paint it good come spring,,, i have pictures somewhere of the "sheets" that came off of my mower not even a month after i bought it back in late winter of 09 and i have to try and find the pictures of the "sheets" that came off of plow we have.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good info there Mr. Skynyrd, a pictures worth a thousand words!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

hey, that really shows what you been talkin bout!

we will see, but so far ours is holding well, and it is a trailer too mind you, different situations with WHAT is coated vs painted and what it used for.

i can see your point very clearly and it could be there is not primer used on coating? i dunno? we do have great luck with using industrial primer anti rust from sherwin williams. that with their industrial paint holds up remarkably well.

this was done so cheap in comparison we could have it done several times in a decade and be cheaper than painting it

makes me want to take pics when the snow is off the trailers we have and what the condition is on the paint etc for each and how old each of them is etc.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

hey lefet please don't call me mr.

grassman i don't know all the specifics on powdercoating other than the fact it's oven baked. in my experiences with it, combined with some others we know who dislike it, i have yet to see an instance where anything is put on the bare metal first thus like i already said if it gets chipped in any way there is no longer anything to protect the metal. now i can't find all of the pictures i was hoping to show you guys (could it be i take too many hmm thus the cd's pile up and get lost) i did find a couple tho. 2 of my mower. the attached image was a month after i started using it. i don't have the pics of the "sheets" but look at how much of the wonderful powdercoat was already missing the next was in august of 09 only a couple months after i got it and one of a tractor deck that is late 80's or early 90's that a neighbor gave me, i turned around and gave it to a freind but my point here is the deck was factory paint not powder coat and it looks better than my mower

oh and bill rhino lining might not be a bad way to go but the only thing is (not positive here) you would probably have to paint the insert first anyway cause if there's still existing rust underneath odds are it will continue to spread. i know that's how it works with undercoating. seen that way too many times too
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2011, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYNYRD View Post
hey lefet please don't call me mr.

grassman i don't know all the specifics on powdercoating other than the fact it's oven baked. in my experiences with it, combined with some others we know who dislike it, i have yet to see an instance where anything is put on the bare metal first thus like i already said if it gets chipped in any way there is no longer anything to protect the metal. now i can't find all of the pictures i was hoping to show you guys (could it be i take too many hmm thus the cd's pile up and get lost) i did find a couple tho. 2 of my mower. the attached image was a month after i started using it. i don't have the pics of the "sheets" but look at how much of the wonderful powdercoat was already missing the next was in august of 09 only a couple months after i got it and one of a tractor deck that is late 80's or early 90's that a neighbor gave me, i turned around and gave it to a freind but my point here is the deck was factory paint not powder coat and it looks better than my mower

oh and bill rhino lining might not be a bad way to go but the only thing is (not positive here) you would probably have to paint the insert first anyway cause if there's still existing rust underneath odds are it will continue to spread. i know that's how it works with undercoating. seen that way too many times too
Yeah I would probably have to paint it before Rhino lining it! I'm gonna do some thinking now cause I have all these options! lol
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-26-2011, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it is about future investment of a tool. is the cost worth the investment depending on the lenght of time you wish to keep said tool.

i had too, sounds so smart doesnt it?