Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2011, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
Awesome accounts justanotherlawnguy, especially the second to last picture, that house and landscape design looks killer.
I concur. I love those Phoenix and washy's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2011, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your accounts look nice justanotherlawnguy. A couple of thoughts for the original landscape designer though, the Washingtonia will get close to 100' tall at maturity and they grow very fast, they will look ridiculous in another 3 to 5 years. The Pygmy Date palm on the left corner of the house looks to be planted in a 3' bed over hanging the walk so that everyone walking by gets the Porcupine treatment.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
Your accounts look nice justanotherlawnguy. A couple of thoughts for the original landscape designer though, the Washingtonia will get close to 100' tall at maturity and they grow very fast, they will look ridiculous in another 3 to 5 years. The Pygmy Date palm on the left corner of the house looks to be planted in a 3' bed over hanging the walk so that everyone walking by gets the Porcupine treatment.
Z turn

No disrespect to fobaum and I am not banging him or his Landscapes BUT. You make a great point about many fly by night landscapers here in Florida. They install great looking stuff today but Have no Idea how fast it grows or what it will look like this time next year. There New Retiree customer has no Idea either and falls for their fast Talk.

Interesting Enough there are only Two Registered licensed Commercial Landscapers in left in Charlotte County. I had that License years ago but Like many realized Code enforcement wasn't enforcing the law and why pay the Over $ 200 a year to keep it active. Every women in the Master Gardener class thinks they are Expert Landscape designers and some how manage to sell their Derick.

Sorry But I am Bitter about the fact I went back to college and got a degree in Horticulture just so I could qualify to sit for all those tests and Licenses and the State of Florida or County government have no desire to enforce the laws.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Z turn

No disrespect to fobaum and I am not banging him or his Landscapes BUT. You make a great point about many fly by night landscapers here in Florida. They install great looking stuff today but Have no Idea how fast it grows or what it will look like this time next year. There New Retiree customer has no Idea either and falls for their fast Talk.

Interesting Enough there are only Two Registered licensed Commercial Landscapers in left in Charlotte County. I had that License years ago but Like many realized Code enforcement wasn't enforcing the law and why pay the Over $ 200 a year to keep it active. Every women in the Master Gardener class thinks they are Expert Landscape designers and some how manage to sell their Derick.

Sorry But I am Bitter about the fact I went back to college and got a degree in Horticulture just so I could qualify to sit for all those tests and Licenses and the State of Florida or County government have no desire to enforce the laws.
That's funny about the women master gardeners and it is so true. The company I buy my sod/plants from will do designs and install and the head is a woman who is a master gardener who thinks her **** don't stink. You are also correct about a lot of guys who do "design" and installation in Florida. The one pic I posted that has the Foxtails lining the driveway was poorly designed. Stuff planted too close, stuff that will get bigger planted in front of stuff that will stay small etc. The owner even told me this company is "well known."
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2011, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Diamond

Many Many years ago I did an estimate for spraying a Women Master Gardener yard. Everything I said she disagreed with. The best part of the estimate was my telling her she had Grubs and her arguing she didn't right up to the point she fell on her Azz when the sod rolled up under her feet exposing GRUBS. Needless to say I didn't get the job when I ask her what those things were called.

Many Counties have great Master Gardener Program. Unfortunately My county has a jerk for a Extension agent. But the County south of me has an excellent Extension office full of many sharp people. I have posted link to get on their E mail list because they send out a lot of great information.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 02-05-2011, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Diamond

Many Many years ago I did an estimate for spraying a Women Master Gardener yard. Everything I said she disagreed with. The best part of the estimate was my telling her she had Grubs and her arguing she didn't right up to the point she fell on her Azz when the sod rolled up under her feet exposing GRUBS. Needless to say I didn't get the job when I ask her what those things were called.

Many Counties have great Master Gardener Program. Unfortunately My county has a jerk for a Extension agent. But the County south of me has an excellent Extension office full of many sharp people. I have posted link to get on their E mail list because they send out a lot of great information.
That's hilarious, I have a similar story. Before hurricane Charley rolled through we had a lawn maintenance route that went in to the PGI and Fisherman's Village area one day of the week. We did a couple of builders models as well as some residentials. We had this one lady that was always complaining about everything, I would ask my foreman what was going on and he always had a reasonable explanation. I would end up driving over there to pacify her and walk around the yard and re explain every thing my foreman had told her. So one day she calls and says my equipment must be leaking gas because her entire back yard is dying, I ask my foreman and he says TG ain't doing the job I have never seen so many grubs on one lawn. I go over and explain this to her and she won't hear any of it, TG is just great, I take her into the back yard, have her stand about 10' up from the seawall and I rolled the St. Augustine up to her feet exposing dozens of grubs. She actually clutched her chest and and staggered a bit, no more problems with her after that.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
That's hilarious, I have a similar story. Before hurricane Charley rolled through we had a lawn maintenance route that went in to the PGI and Fisherman's Village area one day of the week. We did a couple of builders models as well as some residentials. We had this one lady that was always complaining about everything, I would ask my foreman what was going on and he always had a reasonable explanation. I would end up driving over there to pacify her and walk around the yard and re explain every thing my foreman had told her. So one day she calls and says my equipment must be leaking gas because her entire back yard is dying, I ask my foreman and he says TG ain't doing the job I have never seen so many grubs on one lawn. I go over and explain this to her and she won't hear any of it, TG is just great, I take her into the back yard, have her stand about 10' up from the seawall and I rolled the St. Augustine up to her feet exposing dozens of grubs. She actually clutched her chest and and staggered a bit, no more problems with her after that.
Z turn

Know the area well. My little deal happen not to far from there on Coronado near the End of Aqua Esta. I can still see this PITA laying on the ground in my mind and My first reaction was to laugh at her and then pimp her by asking "what the Heck are those things"

It is unbelievable how powerful marketing can be. I run into the same TG/CL jerks who swear by them. But from inside information I understand TG/CL in our area is hurting big time. 3 million in sales last year and they can't afford new equipment/trucks. Bigger is not better.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

TG has a big shop around the corner from my house. I noticed a change in their sign. Has there been a shake up over there. I remember rumour they were looking to sell the maintenance part and just focus on chem apps. Any truth to this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

part of our FL landscapes

Here is a part of our FL landscapes that we sometime get the joy of running into. Found this guy sunning himself in the back lawn of a property I was mowing.
Attached Images

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 02-16-2011, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mikey

What No Guts!! Jump down there and wrestle that dude, I would.